🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Add my own game to the database ?

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/31/2009 8:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Because of my impatience to learn another programming language, I decided a few days ago to make a mildly amusing browser game in HTML. I'm only a few days away from finishing it, and I have a question : Can I add my own game to the database ? I remember reading a rule against that a while back.

Xoleras (66141) on 3/31/2009 8:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Develops do this all the time. :P

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 3/31/2009 10:38 PM · Permalink · Report

That's only against the rules in Wikipedia.

If you could avoid writing reviews for your own game, however, that would be appreciated 8)

Corn Popper (69027) on 3/31/2009 10:40 PM · Permalink · Report

That's actually a no no on that... conflict of interest

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 3/31/2009 10:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Do you have to be John Romero to ignore that particular rule and get away with it? I think it should suffice to warn the approver when submitting that there is a conflict of interest situation present, and to be thorough in ensuring that they don't abuse the submission in a biased fashion.

Foxhack (32100) on 3/31/2009 11:04 PM · Permalink · Report

So then developers can't submit credits or trivia either? Because I've seen stuff submitted by the developers for their own games...

Corn Popper (69027) on 3/31/2009 11:17 PM · Permalink · Report

are you guys not reading who I replied to correctly?

Foxhack (32100) on 3/31/2009 11:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]are you guys not reading who I replied to correctly? [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]... You replied to Pseudo. :p

Corn Popper (69027) on 3/31/2009 11:59 PM · Permalink · Report

and what was he talking about?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/1/2009 12:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Perhaps some selective quoting could have cleared things up. We were asked if individuals could submit descriptions for games they wrote. I said you can't in Wikipedia but suggested that you can here (not that I know what policy is, only that I've done it with my two games that no one else would have entered in a century 8) but shouldn't write self-reviews. You replied to me saying that "that's a no no" without disambiguating which you mean by "that" -- you may have been agreeing with me ("Don't write self-reviews") but the rest of us have interpreted you as saying "Actually, submitting your own games is a no no", likely because it is the central theme of the thread.

Then there were a couple of failed opportunities to restate the (still unclear) official position in a clearer, more direct fashion. Sometimes it may actually save time to write a paragraph instead of a sentence to ensure that anything said contains all the context needed to be understood fully. (I just do it, however, because I love going on and on.)

Corn Popper (69027) on 4/1/2009 1:20 AM · Permalink · Report

I know I did it on purpose... I replied to your post and not Daniel's... so I was answering yours.

Now for the rest of it... yes you can add your own games but the same rules apply of course... making the description non-subjective. As for it being a browser game though... I think some more rules need to be in place such as the availability of the game... anyone can make a game but if it's not widely available to the general public then I don't think it should be listed.

Xoleras (66141) on 4/1/2009 2:02 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]As for it being a browser game though... I think some more rules need to be in place such as the availability of the game... anyone can make a game but if it's not widely available to the general public then I don't think it should be listed. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--] This now sounds like Wikipedia's "notability" thing. =)

Assuming it's released (as in available at e.g. a homepage, not just lingering on the developers hard disk), I don't see why it would either need a user base or extended mirroring first, for inclusion here. Yes, chances are slim that someone is looking MobyGames up to see additional info for a game the user saw (or even played :P) at Daniel's homepage, but the other way around still works as intended (to try out the game after reading about it here first).

Foxhack (32100) on 4/1/2009 2:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--] [Q2 --start Corn Popper wrote--]As for it being a browser game though... I think some more rules need to be in place such as the availability of the game... anyone can make a game but if it's not widely available to the general public then I don't think it should be listed. [/Q2 --end Corn Popper wrote--] This now sounds like Wikipedia's "notability" thing. =)

Assuming it's released (as in available at e.g. a homepage, not just lingering on the developers hard disk), I don't see why it would either need a user base or extended mirroring first, for inclusion here. Yes, chances are slim that someone is looking MobyGames up to see additional info for a game the user saw (or even played :P) at Daniel's homepage, but the other way around still works as intended (to try out the game after reading about it here first). [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--]I think his point was that if a game is available to the public (either free or paid), even if it was only available at a rinkydink Geocities site six years ago, then it can be added. If it's something that only a few people can play (like a private game) then it shouldn't be on this site.

Or something.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/1/2009 3:22 AM · Permalink · Report

I know I did it on purpose... I replied to your post and not Daniel's... so I was answering yours.

But since I said two separate things and you didn't indicate which one of those things you were remarking upon, it was a little mysterious.

As for it being a browser game though... I think some more rules need to be in place such as the availability of the game... anyone can make a game but if it's not widely available to the general public then I don't think it should be listed.

I think as long as it's been linked to on its first website or uploaded to its first BBS, it's been "released" and the genie can't be put back in the bottle. I think the fact that games that anybody could make rub shoulders here with games by big-name designers (as well as the ones they made back when they were just anybody 8) is one of the strengths of the site.

I start a lot of sentences with "I think", as though my opinion prefaced without those two words would be something less, like a bold assertion of fact.

Sciere (930488) on 4/1/2009 7:13 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I agree with pseudo here, because there is just no way to draw the line when it comes to notability. An obscure, commercial, educational Italian game from the early nineties may just as well be less notable than a browser game available worldwide.

Of course, we can still rely on people not wanting to have their name associated with something horrible. If DANIEL HAWKS !' game isn't of an absolute godlike quality with raving reviews from all of us, I'm sure he won't submit it and spare himself the shame.

Corn Popper (69027) on 4/1/2009 11:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Somehow I doubt that last one.

Well we are already breaking the rules on browser games about letting them in.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/1/2009 12:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm. It might be longer than a few days now. I'm having a lot of trouble sorting my system of out what goes where. Regardless it'll be soon. I was also going to put it on my game homepage . And it's all HTML. No Javascript, XML, or CSS.

chirinea (47495) on 4/1/2009 1:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]Well we are already breaking the rules on browser games about letting them in. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]< Pseudo>We could be breaking better rules then, allowing arcade games, for instance 8)< /Pseudo>

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/1/2009 5:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Could you refresh us on the rules about browser games beyond "this is a game that runs in a web browser; submit it!"?

Sciere (930488) on 4/1/2009 5:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Notability in the sense that it must be available to a certain public for a reasonable amount of time. Not hacking something together, listing it on a GeoCities website and then taking it down a week later. Not that it would be necessarily rejected right away, but there's no point in listing that.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/1/2009 6:01 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm interested in documenting a couple of early browser games that only exist today as fragments in the waybackmachine 8)

Sciere (930488) on 4/1/2009 6:43 PM · Permalink · Report

History is a different matter of course =)

robotriot (9015) on 4/3/2009 9:05 AM · Permalink · Report

On the matter of this subject, I wondered if I could submit my own games that are kind of unfinished. I read about that unfinished games are in general not allowed on Mobygames, but my games are pretty much playable, yet only one level and then development stopped, or later parts of the game don't work very well. Would this be a valid contribution to Mobygames or not? The games can be downloaded here: http://www.elitepigs.de

Corn Popper (69027) on 4/3/2009 11:38 AM · Permalink · Report

This is a non-browser game? if so then no... for non-browser games it has to have been commercially released.

Cantillon (77031) on 4/3/2009 3:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Or made freeware?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/3/2009 5:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Or be part of the reams and reams of homebrew freeware and shareware distributed through BBSes and the sneakernet already pumping strong in Mobygames' veins?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/3/2009 5:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Putting aside my instinctual petty disputes with Corn Popper, I might suggest to revisit your unfinished games and impose some arbitrary end point on them before the player encounters broken gameplay -- as though it is public and available, entering beta software here (where beta is understood to mean: so incomplete as to be obviously broken) is definitely looked down upon. That or design future games as prototypes and style the game after the code behavior -- if you can't keep the man from walking through the walls, call him a ghost! 8)

robotriot (9015) on 4/4/2009 9:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Yea I thought all freeware games are allowed here anyway, no commercial release required.

Unfortunately, I can't finish the games since I was mostly only responsible for graphics and game design. I can't code and I don't have the sources either.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/3/2009 6:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start robotriot wrote--]Would this be a valid contribution to Mobygames or not? [/Q --end robotriot wrote--] Freeware games, by policy should be in alpha. No betas, gammas or omegas :p.
The policy is under debate in the backchannels, however.

Oliver, I think this is your queue.

robotriot (9015) on 4/4/2009 9:27 AM · Permalink · Report

You do know that alpha is an even earlier state than beta, right? ;)

beetle120 (2415) on 4/4/2009 1:27 PM · Permalink · Report

An alpha test is an in house test and not yet available to the public.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/4/2009 5:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Did I mention I'm not qualified to approve stuff around here? :p

Sorry, old age. Need to re-write, for commercial games no betas, alphas, gammas or brain-dead sorority girls. This to some extent includes shareware games. However, if the shareware game was "officially" released, it may be subject to exclusions (e.g. it was released under version 1.0).

Freeware is a bit problematic, especially games that have been "under-development" for decades.

Basically, one of the ideas behind "how finished is a game to be added in the database" is represented by:

[1] Has it been commercially/offically released;
[2] Games under development way undergo significant gameplay differences, thus a bit problematic for detailed game descriptions.
[3] Unfinished freeware games, that have been identified as "defunct" have been accepted in the past. Test by test case, of course.

Now where are those Germans and Mexicans when you need them? :p

robotriot (9015) on 4/4/2009 6:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Alright, I see. Well, technically, my games would fulfill both 1 [officially] and 3. But I guess I can live with not having them on MG ;)

Xoleras (66141) on 4/4/2009 10:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Who decides that? Are alpha/beta testing normed by ISO? And version numbers too?

A commercial release is developed, alpha-tested, manufactured, shipped, crowdsource beta-tested by the end consumer and then hopefully patched to a stable/working result. But this is of no concern, as the game received the Final version number before manufacturing.

Yet when freeware or open source games using either alpha or beta, or even just a or b, they are subject to exclusion because they used that type of version naming (even if this might not be alpha/beta testing at all*). However, if the programmer would have added the build number (like e.g. v1.5.235 instead of v1.5b), it's fine again.

[* I've seen enough programs (apps & games) using a(lpha) / b(eta), but also extending that to c/gamma or even d(elta). And I doubt this is a release of a delta-testing-stage...]

PS: This is the rant Indra wanted to hear. :P

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/5/2009 12:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Ok, still having trouble. I've been looking everywhere and can't find the code I need. (To keep people from cheating.) Does anybody know the code to make a pull-down box, where the selections, when clicked, take you to another page ?

Indra was here (20755) on 4/5/2009 8:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

...and thanks to Daniel, he probably just killed a possible MG policy flamewar among the approvers and admins. Way to go, Danel. :(

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/8/2009 9:09 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

After almost two weeks it's done. Play it and tell me what you think !

Edit-The Backgrounds are kinda big, so it might take a second for those to load.

Edit Edit- I found a last level glitch. It should be fixed by tomorrow.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/8/2009 9:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That was fun. I won.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/8/2009 10:22 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]

That was fun. I won. [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]

Thanks !

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/8/2009 9:42 PM · Permalink · Report

http://zzz78963.googlepages.com/lose.png cannot be found.

Also, it's a bit rich to be scolded on one's stupidity from someone who spells (in the page's filename) "lose" as "loose".

There is a disconcerting tendency for the correct answer to be the first, automatically-displayed option.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/8/2009 10:13 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]http://zzz78963.googlepages.com/lose.png cannot be found.

Also, it's a bit rich to be scolded on one's stupidity from someone who spells (in the page's filename) "lose" as "loose".

There is a disconcerting tendency for the correct answer to be the first, automatically-displayed option. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

I think I followed my earlier, flawed chart instead of my new one when I assembled it.

xroox (3895) on 4/9/2009 12:01 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

My knowledge of geography is crap, but I still managed to win. Problems:

• The spelling of most island names is incorrect.

• I got more than two answers wrong, but every time after the first, I got the same message: 'That's two you clumsy oaf.' Strangely enough, I tried again and this didn't happen.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/9/2009 11:50 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sam Jeffreys wrote--]

• I got more than two answers wrong, but every time after the first, I got the same message: 'That's two you clumsy oaf.' Strangely enough, I tried again and this didn't happen. [/Q --end Sam Jeffreys wrote--]

That's a problem I was encountering a lot when I first assembled it. I'm going to go over all my code this weekend and fix any bugs or incorrect spelling.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/9/2009 5:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Japan isn't an island. Neither is Indonesia, and probably half of the countries mentioned there.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/9/2009 6:05 PM · Permalink · Report

To elaborate on Indra's comment, the entities he is describing are groups of islands or archipelagos. Japan isn't an island, but HokkaidĹŤ is an island in Japan; Indonesia isn't an island, but Sumatra is an island in Indonesia.

But people will have an exceedingly difficult time recognizing those islands by their shape 8)

Xoleras (66141) on 4/10/2009 12:00 AM · Permalink · Report

You complain about archipelagos vs islands? :)

If you want to complain, then about the "island" Antarctica please. Or even Norway.. is this now a country at the (Afro-)Eurasian island? :P (unlike an archipelago, a peninsula isn't even surrounded by water ;))

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/9/2009 6:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]Japan isn't an island. Neither is Indonesia, and probably half of the countries mentioned there. [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

I know most of the islands I put in there are kinda pushing it. But I did it so I wouldn't have to pick very tiny, indistinct looking islands. AKA , most of the islands in the Pacific. I wanted to make it challenging, not impossible.

Edit-Speaking of challenge, I'm going to throw in a mode where you have to name the capitals too.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/9/2009 6:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Heh. Nothing personal, mate. But us old geezers and intellectuals do pride ourselves in being informationally correct or at least attempt in creating such an illusion. :p

Personally, I'm still pissed with this American bloke who asked me where I was from. Answering that I was from Indonesia, he simply answered, "I heard of that place, is it near Bali?"

And this was 7(?) years ago.

Gah.

chirinea (47495) on 4/9/2009 6:55 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]Personally, I'm still pissed with this American bloke who asked me where I was from. Answering that I was from Indonesia, he simply answered, "I heard of that place, is it near Bali?" [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]At least he doesn't think Buenos Aires is your capital. =P

Foxhack (32100) on 4/9/2009 7:26 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] [Q2 --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]Personally, I'm still pissed with this American bloke who asked me where I was from. Answering that I was from Indonesia, he simply answered, "I heard of that place, is it near Bali?" [/Q2 --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]At least he doesn't think Buenos Aires is your capital. =P [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]Or ask if you're from Tijuana. :P

Indra was here (20755) on 4/9/2009 8:35 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kit Silva wrote--] [Q2 --start chirinea wrote--] [Q3 --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]Personally, I'm still pissed with this American bloke who asked me where I was from. Answering that I was from Indonesia, he simply answered, "I heard of that place, is it near Bali?" [/Q3 --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]At least he doesn't think Buenos Aires is your capital. =P [/Q2 --end chirinea wrote--]Or ask if you're from Tijuana. :P [/Q --end Kit Silva wrote--] Tijuana the narcotic? :p

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/12/2009 3:50 PM · Permalink · Report

"This american guy like said like "Is Indonesia near Bali" and I was like - yeah dude, whatever."

"Yeah, silly americans. I was like, you know, saying I'm from Brazil, and he was like "So do you live in Buenos Aires." Like dude, wtf!!!"

"Americanos are so stupid."

"Yeah man."

Geographical ignorance is not the fault of americans alone. For example, how many of you can actually find Estonia from the map. Hint: when you are looking for it in the Pacific Ocean, at least you are looking for it in the right planet.

vedder (70796) on 4/12/2009 4:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Easy for me. In many schools in the Netherlands you are tought Dutch topography (provinces and towns) in grade 5 (8-9 years old) European topography (nations and capitals) in grade 6 (9-10 years old) and the rest of the world in grade 7 and 8. And for me most got repeated in the first year of high school again. I think I could still draw a rather accurate political map of Europe from memory.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/12/2009 6:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Fair enough. It's in Europe. I guess most of you Mobites can guess that. But both Brazil and Buenos Aires are in Latin America. The way people confuse Mexico, Brazil and Argentine with each other shows that in their minds those countries and their individiual cultures are interchangeable (for example, the Simpsons parodied a certain brazilian movie star-singer Xuxa as Xoxchitla, when in fact both Brazil and Xuxa have nothing to do with aztecs and incans - and Xuxa is just a really ordinary-looking white woman).

So how interchangeable the eastern Europeia provinces are with each other?

1) What kind of alphabet do estonians use?
2) How closely related is estonian language to russian and other slavic languages?
3) How closely related are estonians related to islam and islamic cultures?
4) How many genocides did Estonia commit in the Balkan Wars of 90's?
5) Why do estonians and greek fight over the ethnicity of Alexander the Great?

I guess what I'm trying to do is to somehow protest against the "americans are stupid" attitude, since getting the continents right is at least a lot better than not knowing at all, and when sometimes we can get the continents right we still might see the countries-cultures as interchangeable due do what is the popular perception in our community. What I mean is, this is something that all people in the world share.

Edit: For example, I can say that most estonians don't distinguish between Iraq and Iran - though one's arabic and the other persian. Then again, most people can't tell how persian culture influenced the culture of the golden age of islam. Okay bad example, let's just say that to most estonians Middle East is a big land called Terroristia. They might know the countries, but they sure can't tell if some of them might be non-terroristic, or if some of them might be of non-semitic ethnicity.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/12/2009 5:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]"This american guy like said like "Is Indonesia near Bali" and I was like - yeah dude, whatever."

"Yeah, silly americans. I was like, you know, saying I'm from Brazil, and he was like "So do you live in Buenos Aires." Like dude, wtf!!!"

"Yeah man."

Geographical ignorance is not the fault of americans alone. For example, how many of you can actually find Estonia from the map. Hint: when you are looking for it in the Pacific Ocean, at least you are looking for it in the right planet. [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]

Estonia is above Latvia, and bordering Russia and the Black Sea, right ? I'm just going from memory, so I'm not sure.

DJP Mom (11333) on 4/12/2009 10:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Estonia is above Latvia, and bordering Russia and the Black Sea, right ? I'm just going from memory, so I'm not sure.

[/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Tsk Tsk, I saw you sneak a peek at the map! ;)

Xoleras (66141) on 4/13/2009 3:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Could you show me that map please? :)

If Estonia would border both Latvia and the Black Sea, it would be one of the biggest countries in Europe. :P (or at least longest)

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/13/2009 12:29 PM · Permalink · Report

It's between Latvia and Lithuania right ? (And somebody please tell me soon. I don't trust myself going on Wikipedia until then.)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/13/2009 1:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ah, but where are Latvia and Lithuania?

Good: You know the names and have some clue towards their location (they border Russia, but so does Japan and US).

Bad: I was really hoping someone non-american would fall in this trap, since then we could have a illustration how "geographical interchangeability of other countries due to the what is that we of the we community imagine what the common culture in that region is" is something all people in the world share somewhat.

We just have to hope that someone has the guts to answer my 5 little questions.

vedder (70796) on 4/13/2009 1:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--] We just have to hope that someone has the guts to answer my 5 little questions. [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]

I'll give it a try. Without peeking!

1) Roman alphabet, I assume.
2) Close I'm guessing. It's definitely not Roman or Celtic. I doubt it's German. And I thought the only 2 odd-one out languages in Europe were Finnish and Hungarian. So that kind of leaves Slavic :)
3) You kind of answered this yourself already. No high regard.
4) Zero. Estonia is not in the Balkan.
5) That would be Macedonia and Greece.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/13/2009 3:40 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--] [Q2 --start Rabbi Guru wrote--] We just have to hope that someone has the guts to answer my 5 little questions. [/Q2 --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]

2) Close I'm guessing. It's definitely not Roman or Celtic. I doubt it's German. And I thought the only 2 odd-one out languages in Europe were Finnish and Hungarian. So that kind of leaves Slavic :) [/Q --end stvedder wrote--]

Ah, but it could be also baltic, couldn't it? Let's make it more interesting, shall we? Let's play a little game called "what language does estonian sound most like?"

Here is an example of estonian.

Here is an example of nahuatl.

Here is an example of finnish.

Here is an example of latvian.

Here is an example of cherokee.

Here is an example of hungarian.

Here is an example of russian.

Here is an example of hebrew.

I thought of finding speeches and the like, but unfortunately everyone who does speeches in eastern Europeia is also unbelievably ugly.

DreinIX (10446) on 4/13/2009 4:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--] 5) That would be Macedonia and Greece.
[/Q --end stvedder wrote--] I guess that's what happens when you let things get way out of hand. People are referring to it as Macedonia. Maybe to older people here the name Vardaska rings a bell or two.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/13/2009 4:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

True. But isn't it one of the human rights to allow people to shape their national identity in any way they want? I could write a 50 page essay on how all national identity's are somewhat artificial if anyone is interested.

Though the macedonian case is stretching it too far.

DreinIX (10446) on 4/13/2009 7:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Shaping one nation’s identity is one thing and stealing another nation’s history is another. Can we really be talking about a nation’s identity when it’s based on propaganda and false history? And the thing is I can’t bring myself to blame a young Scopjean (however it’s spelled) because it’s not their fault for the history they were taught. But as I said things had gone way out of hand and now they’re talking about “Macedonian” minorities in Greece when they're actually referring to Macedonians – as in the real Macedonians – the ones that are called that because they live in the geographic region of Greece that’s called Macedonia. What next?

Indra was here (20755) on 4/13/2009 7:44 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--]Shaping one nation’s identity is one thing and stealing another nation’s history is another. Can we really be talking about a nation’s identity when it’s based on propaganda and false history? [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--] Yes. All history is to some extent influenced by propaganda, indoctrination, falsehoods and informational "photoshop-ing."

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/13/2009 8:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] [Q2 --start DreinIX wrote--]Shaping one nation’s identity is one thing and stealing another nation’s history is another. Can we really be talking about a nation’s identity when it’s based on propaganda and false history? [/Q2 --end DreinIX wrote--] Yes. All history is to some extent influenced by propaganda, indoctrination, falsehoods and informational "photoshop-ing." [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

An example. The english relationship with the celts.

In the times of Oliver Cromwell, where England was protestant and the Irish catholic, the english did everything to show how they are connected by blood with Martin Luther and the germans, and thus had the holy blood of God and germanic people running through them, and how the celtic Irish were born from Satan.

But during the 19-20th century the celts suddenly became cool. It was cool for the english to "search for their celtic roots". The best example might be BBC's Robin of Sherwood (1984-86 - best Robin Hood show ever), in where Robin Hood is a son-like figure to a celtic forest God Herne.

Better example might be how the french nobility saw themselves as the free franks and the true french and the peasants as gauls - a race that has been in the status of slaves ever since Caesar. And in the revolution it changed, suddenly the gauls were the true french and the nobility a foreign germanic element. Or how in Poland, the nobility didn't want to seem themselves as poles, but as ancient samaritians. Now they are great polish men of course. Many much better examples can be given.

The only thing that is completely natural about national identity is that one has ancestors. But the way that heritage is combined into national identity changes according to contemporary zeitgeist and political ideologies. Personally I enjoy romantic nationalism of a lot of countries, but one has to have some insight of their some artificial elements.

DreinIX (10446) on 4/14/2009 7:25 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]The only thing that is completely natural about national identity is that one has ancestors. [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--] Well as long as there are no dice involved to decide which one is whose we're fine.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/13/2009 11:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--]Shaping one nation’s identity is one thing and stealing another nation’s history is another. Can we really be talking about a nation’s identity when it’s based on propaganda and false history? And the thing is I can’t bring myself to blame a young Scopjean (however it’s spelled) because it’s not their fault for the history they were taught. But as I said things had gone way out of hand and now they’re talking about “Macedonian” minorities in Greece when they're actually referring to Macedonians – as in the real Macedonians – the ones that are called that because they live in the geographic region of Greece that’s called Macedonia. What next? [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]

I can offer some ideas.

Macedonian historians will start to portray the empire of Alexander the Great as a socialist utopia, like Star Trek but with wild sex, in where there was no slavery, no poverty, no injustice and then they blame the greek for destroying it. "The Greek have to answer for their sins!!!" They will blame the greek for the dark ages and the destruction of the western civilization, and they will just use Byzantium as a proof for their cause - the greeks planned the middle ages, so they could use the pleasures of civilization for themselves, while everyone else lived in shitholes.

"Alexander wanted to create a worldwide empire of justice and equality, the greeks destroyed that. Then the romans came, but the greeks soon took control over them and used the romans to create Byzantium - a paradise on earth just for the greeks - and then they discarded the romans, just like they will do to anyone who they use to obtain their goals. The greeks want to enslave all other nations!!!" (excerpt from the "The True History of the World: The Greko-Satanic Taint")

The greeks also created islam - it just backfired briefly - but it's true cause is to keep other's busy while the Greek finish their genetic call of enslaving the world!!!!

They will incorporate Bosnian pyramids as a proof of ancient Macedonian worldwide civilization - the mayans and egyptians were once the vassals of this worldwide pre-alexandric macedonian empire. The greeks destroyed that too. It's just what they do. Destroy everything that macedonians build.

The greeks also crucified Jesus. Jesus was a macedonian - part of the ancient lineage of the macedonian-atlantis kings. That's what the son of David really means. David was really the ancient Atlanto-Macedonian emperor whose real name was Tahvithu III the Beautiful. That's the real truth, yes it is.

Leaders will rise, war will be declared - first the greek have to answer for their sins and then onwards to Iran - to restore the empire of Alexander the Great and save western civilization once and for all. Peace will follow and the path of the progress shall never be interrupted again.

"Cast away the greko-satanic chains and join the true cause of humanity - the Macedonian Empire!!!"

"Macedonian pride worldwide!!!!"

I can expand it later if you want. I have some serious prophetic skillz!!!

Sciere (930488) on 4/13/2009 11:36 PM · Permalink · Report

We once again prove to be the master of off-topic.

DreinIX (10446) on 4/14/2009 7:22 AM · Permalink · Report

If it wasn't for that I'd have to admit that Daniel's game shown me how much dust my geography skills currently have.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/14/2009 3:35 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--] [Q2 --start Rabbi Guru wrote--] We just have to hope that someone has the guts to answer my 5 little questions. [/Q2 --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]

1) Roman alphabet, I assume.
2) Close I'm guessing. It's definitely not Roman or Celtic. I doubt it's German. And I thought the only 2 odd-one out languages in Europe were Finnish and Hungarian. So that kind of leaves Slavic :)
3) You kind of answered this yourself already. No high regard.
4) Zero. Estonia is not in the Balkan.
5) That would be Macedonia and Greece.
[/Q --end stvedder wrote--]

Since no one else didn't have the bravery to answer my 5 little questions, it's time to end this and see if stvedder's bravery was perhaps too foolish. To be humiliated alone is a scary thing. But to be victorious alone is divine.

1) You earn +1 points. Most of eastern europeia doesn't use cyrillic.
2) Wrong answer. You didn't gain any points. Estonian has zero relation with nearby baltic or slavic languages. Dutch and russian have more in common than estonian and russian.
3) You earn +1 points
4) You earn +1 points
5) You earn +1 points

You got 4 correct answers out of 5. And since you were the only contestant you also won!!!

vedder (70796) on 4/14/2009 5:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Woohoo! :)

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/13/2009 1:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]Ah, but where are Latvia and Lithuania?

Good: You know the names and have some clue towards their location (they border Russia, but so does Japan and US). [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]

I think Latvia borders the Black Sea, and Lithuania is above Macedonia.

Edit-And how exactly do Japan and Alaska border Russia ? I suppose if you want to be technical, the Bering Strait brings Alaska and Russia pretty close. And Japan is very close as well, but I when I tihnk "border", I think land border.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/13/2009 2:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

sigh

Yes, my child. Dare you to also answer these 5 questions?

1) What kind of alphabet do estonians use?
2) How closely related is estonian language to russian and other slavic languages?
3) How closely related are estonians related to islam and islamic cultures?
4) How many genocides did Estonia commit in the Balkan Wars of 90's?
5) Why do estonians and greek fight over the ethnicity of Alexander the Great?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/15/2009 5:27 AM · Permalink · Report

1) Latin alphabet. With some special characters added, such as vowels with two dots over them.

2) Estonian is not related to any Slavic languages. It is in fact unrelated to Indo-European languages as a whole. It is part of the Finno-Ugric group, which in its turn is part of the Uralic family. The closest language to Estonian in Europe is Finnish. Hungarian is more remotely related, and around the Ural in Russia there are plenty of small nations which speak related languages.

3) I don't know of any relation between Estonia and Islam. I think Estonians are Lutherans, but I might be wrong.

4) As many genocides as Mauritius committed during the Great Mongol wars of 13th century.

5) Estonians claim that a certain person who goes by the name of Rabbi Guru is cooler than Alexander will ever be. Greeks deny that and point out that they still make a better cheese.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/15/2009 12:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]1) Latin alphabet. With some special characters added, such as vowels with two dots over them.

2) Estonian is not related to any Slavic languages. It is in fact unrelated to Indo-European languages as a whole. It is part of the Finno-Ugric group, which in its turn is part of the Uralic family. The closest language to Estonian in Europe is Finnish. Hungarian is more remotely related, and around the Ural in Russia there are plenty of small nations which speak related languages.

3) I don't know of any relation between Estonia and Islam. I think Estonians are Lutherans, but I might be wrong.

4) As many genocides as Mauritius committed during the Great Mongol wars of 13th century.

5) Estonians claim that a certain person who goes by the name of Rabbi Guru is cooler than Alexander will ever be. Greeks deny that and point out that they still make a better cheese. [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--]

You win too.

But let me expand the 3rd one a bit. Now it's pretty much post-lutheran atheism. Which is not that different from lutheran, only a bit more suicidal. All the bad things - like killing oneself with work and being just generally sad - still remain. Also due to recent rise of syncretic spiritualism, almost no one believes in God anymore, but almost everyone believes in Cosmos and bioenergetics and gong therapy and what not. :-/

Xoleras (66141) on 4/13/2009 2:17 PM · Permalink · Report

You did say earlier "and bordering Russia and the Black Sea". By your definition now, that a "border" is a land border, one must conclude you think the Black Sea is a land mass, e.g. a country. :P

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/13/2009 2:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ok, "border" was a poor choice of wording. But I couldn't exactly think of anything else that was near Estonia.

Xoleras (66141) on 4/13/2009 2:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, you had 7 (of 9) letters correct and it was a bit jumbled up -- Baltic Sea, not Black Sea - but they are on the ("vertically") opposing sides of Europe. :)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/13/2009 2:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Black Sea is the only country in the world that made socialist utopia work.

Ah live long my beloved Schwarzes Meer, where the people are free and happy!

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/13/2009 3:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, it's finally finished ! With a new mode added in less than a week ! Tell me what you think now !

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/13/2009 3:44 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Well, it's finally finished ! With a new mode added in less than a week ! Tell me what you think now ! [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]

Ok, all bugs now worked out.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/13/2009 7:48 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Ok, all bugs now worked out. [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] ...and yet, the first button you click is entitled "Star Game."

Bravo on quality assurance, Daniel. :p

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/13/2009 10:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] [Q2 --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Ok, all bugs now worked out. [/Q2 --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] ...and yet, the first button you click is entitled "Star Game."

Bravo on quality assurance, Daniel. :p [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

Whoops ! Thanks for pointing it out.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/15/2009 6:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Not that all this discussion isn't nice, but I'm still waiting on you guys to tell me what you think of my revamped game.

Please tell me what you think.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/13/2009 7:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]You did say earlier "and bordering Russia and the Black Sea". By your definition now, that a "border" is a land border, one must conclude you think the Black Sea is a land mass, e.g. a country. :P [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--] Seriously, I gotta learn how you notice these things.

chirinea (47495) on 4/14/2009 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]"This american guy like said like "Is Indonesia near Bali" and I was like - yeah dude, whatever."

"Yeah man."

Geographical ignorance is not the fault of americans alone. For example, how many of you can actually find Estonia from the map. Hint: when you are looking for it in the Pacific Ocean, at least you are looking for it in the right planet. [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]

Well, I just speed-read the whole rant below because I arrived late at the party, and I just wanted to say that I wasn't going "oh dumb Americans". I really don't have a problem with people not knowing which is the Brazilian capital, my problem is with wrong guessing. It is better to say "I don't know" than to try to sound smart. As for your Estonian quiz, I know the answers because I spent a lot of time talking to you, and that made me interested in Estonia. The same goes for Indonesia, though I know less about it, I guess (Indra never sent me Indonesian Idol videos).

Indra was here (20755) on 4/15/2009 5:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] ...and I just wanted to say that I wasn't going "oh dumb Americans". [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] I actually wanted to refer to the whole Caucasian race, but that's too many countries to fight all at the same time. Muahahaha!

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/9/2009 8:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]Heh. Nothing personal, mate. But us old geezers and intellectuals do pride ourselves in being informationally correct or at least attempt in creating such an illusion. :p [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

Nothing personal taken. BTW, I decided to fix the rest of my game today. I think I've got all the bugs worked out with the regular mode. I'll be doing the capital mode tonight. Should be up tomorrow.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/10/2009 8:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Umm...It might be another day or two before it's finished. (So many html docs !)

xroox (3895) on 4/10/2009 10:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I still think the best idea is to try making something with Game Maker. It's a very versatile program and there are some good beginner tutorials right there on the site.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/11/2009 12:21 AM · Permalink · Report

But where's the fun or frustration in that ? ;)

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/11/2009 9:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've got it all finished, but due to Google Pages squishing together file names with spaces, I'll have to delete it off my account and close the gaps in the file names. I will have it up soon.

Edit- I'm too tired to even think about it today. I'll have it up sometime this week.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/18/2009 1:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

One last question, is it ethical for me to add myself to the credits of my game ?

Sciere (930488) on 4/18/2009 1:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Completing game entries with all missing information is encouraged.

Xoleras (66141) on 4/18/2009 1:34 PM · Permalink · Report

And don't forget to add something for the cover art.

PS: the game was not created to add yourself to the site? :P

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/18/2009 1:39 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]And don't forget to add something for the cover art.

PS: the game was not created to add yourself to the site? :P [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--]

Edit-

No. I've been kicking around the idea for a while. I was going to do it in C++, but I got impatient and did it in HTML.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/18/2009 4:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]PS: the game was not created to add yourself to the site? :P [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--] I have yet to stoop that low.

Maybe next year. :p