Forums > MobyGames > Halo series

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 9/28/2009 2:45 AM · Permalink · Report

The description of the Halo series group is a mess. It's completely unclear what games belong there. First it says all the official games in the series are first-person shooters, then it seems to say otherwise. I was going to correct it, but then I realized I'm not sure what it should say. Do we want one group for the Halo series proper and another for spin-offs ala Final Fantasy (wihich also has an unclear description and a few questionable members), or everything Halo-related goes in the one group? Keep in mind the main series will probably never be more than Halo 1, 2 & 3. Also, do we want fan projects like Halo 0 in there?

BurningStickMan (17916) on 9/28/2009 3:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Isn't Halo Wars considered part of the main series? Which would nullify the FPS part.

Zeppin (8408) on 9/28/2009 4:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Game groups as a rule are a much less well-defined segment of MobyGames, despite efforts to correct them.

I resent the beginning (Halo is a science fiction video game series created by Bungie Studios for Windows and Xbox (360)), considering the origins of the series and the appearance of the first game on the Mac, albeit later on.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 10/7/2009 5:11 PM · Permalink · Report

considering the origins of the series

Bungie's platform background is irrelevant in light of Halo's becoming the Xbox killer app. We also don't mention Rare's background on the ZX Spectrum in the Perfect Dark group. (In fact, we don't mention ANYTHING in the Perfect Dark group 8)

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/29/2009 11:57 PM · Permalink · Report

How about "A series of mediocre shooters that managed to lower the bar for the genre forever, introducing a bunch of retarded mechanics that somehow became the norm"? =P

Foxhack (32100) on 9/30/2009 12:31 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--]How about "A series of mediocre shooters that managed to lower the bar for the genre forever, introducing a bunch of retarded mechanics that somehow became the norm"? =P [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]Wait, are we talking Halo or Bullet Hell games?

BurningStickMan (17916) on 9/30/2009 1:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Looking for health packs takes too long and is so 1990s. Wolverine healing factor for EVERYONE!

Zeppin (8408) on 9/30/2009 4:08 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Just Games Retro wrote--]Looking for health packs takes too long and is so 1990s. Wolverine healing factor for EVERYONE! [/Q --end Just Games Retro wrote--] Actually I can't stand that. I don't mind regenerative shields and the like, but regenerative health, if that's what you're referring to, completely kills my sense of immersion. Which, of course, is ridiculous, when the alternative is to carry around an ambulance worth of med kits. More reasonably, I find that games that make use of this, such as Call of Duty 2 suddenly get shockingly easy.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95085) on 9/30/2009 6:42 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've just been playing the recent Bionic Commando reboot, and it does the same thing. Made some of the fights less of a "challenge" and more of a "poke in to do some damage then duck out and wait for the regen". I liked at least the concept of how Battlefield Bad Company did it: stabbing yourself in the chest with a giant syringe whenever you get hurt.

Health regen seems to give the impression of getting winded rather than actually getting hurt. Which doesn't really gel when your character is getting "winded" by dozens of bullets and a semi truck to the face.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/30/2009 5:11 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start djsquarewave wrote--]I've just been playing the recent Bionic Commando reboot, and it does the same thing. Made some of the fights less of a "challenge" and more of a "poke in to do some damage then duck out and wait for the regen". I liked at least the concept of how Battlefield Bad Company did it: stabbing yourself in the chest with a giant syringe whenever you get hurt.

Health regen seems to give the impression of getting winded rather than actually getting hurt. Which doesn't really gel when your character is getting "winded" by dozens of bullets and a semi truck to the face. [/Q --end djsquarewave wrote--]Kane & Lynch has a similar system. If you get hurt you can duck for a while and heal up, but you can't do it forever. After a while you WILL die... at least until Lynch runs up to you and sticks a syringe into your chest and brings you back.

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/30/2009 11:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start djsquarewave wrote--]I've just been playing the recent Bionic Commando reboot, and it does the same thing. Made some of the fights less of a "challenge" and more of a "poke in to do some damage then duck out and wait for the regen". [/Q --end djsquarewave wrote--] Speaking of that, am I the only one that enjoys that game like a degenerated maniac? I mean, the game's all kinds of stupid and it does no less than half a dozen horrible, horrible design mistakes, and yet it's one of the top-3 games I had more fun with this year. Is there something wrong with me? o_O

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95085) on 10/1/2009 12:23 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--] [Q2 --start djsquarewave wrote--]I've just been playing the recent Bionic Commando reboot, and it does the same thing. Made some of the fights less of a "challenge" and more of a "poke in to do some damage then duck out and wait for the regen". [/Q2 --end djsquarewave wrote--] Speaking of that, am I the only one that enjoys that game like a degenerated maniac? I mean, the game's all kinds of stupid and it does no less than half a dozen horrible, horrible design mistakes, and yet it's one of the top-3 games I had more fun with this year. Is there something wrong with me? o_O [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--] I don't know if I'd say I liked it that much, but I thought it didn't deserve nearly the hate it got (don't like the random deaths from radiation? stay away from the GIANT GLOWING BLUE CLOUDS). I suppose it may have gotten overshadowed by the resoundingly-excellent Rearmed and doubted because of the demo, but it was certainly a solid game.

To be fair, I feel exactly that way about Afro Samurai. It's one of my top games for the year and it got absolutely slaughtered in reviews. Everyone I've shown it to has loved it though; like four people have beaten my copy. :P

Foxhack (32100) on 10/1/2009 1:04 AM · Permalink · Report

It's reasons like that that I don't trust reviews that much these days.

I bought Kane & Lynch because I like to play crap games. But once I started playing it I realized, hey, it's not even remotely as bad as everyone says (though it is irritating).

Reviewers these days never lived through the LJN era. They have no clue what a truly bad game is.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 10/1/2009 3:10 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--] Reviewers these days never lived through the LJN era. They have no clue what a truly bad game is. [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--]

That's true! It seems like - for the MOST part - we're past the days when developers treat each and every game with an assembly line mentality. And gamers seem no longer looked at as stupid kids who will buy anything, especially if it has a known license stamped on the cover.*

Sure, every so often you get a Terminator Salvation, but it at least seemed like they were going for something and had a story to tell, just not enough time. Far cry from the Terminator games from LJN.

*Note - I'm not sure if these statements still do not apply to games for the Wii :P

Foxhack (32100) on 10/1/2009 3:44 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Just Games Retro wrote--]Far cry from the Terminator games from LJN.[/Q --end Just Games Retro wrote--]I actually found the NES version of Terminator 2 to be a very good game.

The rest, though, yeah, pure garbage.

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 10/1/2009 6:14 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--]Reviewers these days never lived through the LJN era. They have no clue what a truly bad game is. [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--]

Any Acclaim game that doesn't involve a Valiant comics license (and some of those, even) also falls into this category.

Indra was here (20755) on 10/1/2009 9:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ace of Sevens wrote--]Do we want one group for the... [/Q --end Ace of Sevens wrote--] No clear consensus on what (among others) a "series" should include. So, thus far, what's in or what's not greatly depends on the description which is subject to the discretion of the original game group creator. Which is only overulled by a consensus in the forums. Reaching a consensus in MG however is often somewhat frustrating. :p

P.S. Reading the game group description... still have no idea what HALO is about.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 10/2/2009 12:54 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]P.S. Reading the game group description... still have no idea what HALO is about. [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

Humanity at war with alien coalition. Last survivor from super-soldier project and his ship make blind lightspeed jump after ambush. End up at ring world floating in space. Land damaged ship there. Fight aliens. Accidentally release different aliens and fight them too. Find out ring world actually a weapon that will destroy all life in universe, so you destroy it first.

After that the series' plot disappears up its own ass.

Big John WV (26954) on 10/2/2009 1:39 AM · Permalink · Report

To me Halo seems nothing more than a massive multiplayer phenomenon with a single-player campaign for people who don't have online, kinda like Battlefield: Bad Company, lol.

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/2/2009 3:37 AM · Permalink · Report

Also, the alien coalition consists of some sort of lizard men and some midgets that run around squealing like Alvin the chipmunk on coke. The second alien race is some sort of Carpenter's The Thing ripoff gone all kinds of wrong. At times the game seems to be trying to be funny but comes out pathetic, then it seems to try to be scary, but comes out laughable. Every weapon, vehicle, armor and building is made out of brightly colored plastic. The gameworld has about three dull, insipid maps that are repeated over and over again...

BurningStickMan (17916) on 10/2/2009 4:30 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--]The gameworld has about three dull, insipid maps that are repeated over and over again... [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]

That is no exaggeration either. I can think of at least two levels in the original that are made of the same single room - literally! - copy/pasted together to make the level.

That at least got better in the later games.

Indra was here (20755) on 10/3/2009 11:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Just Games Retro wrote--] [Q2 --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]P.S. Reading the game group description... still have no idea what HALO is about. [/Q2 --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

Humanity at war with alien coalition. Last survivor from super-soldier project and his ship make blind lightspeed jump after ambush. End up at ring world floating in space. Land damaged ship there. Fight aliens. Accidentally release different aliens and fight them too. Find out ring world actually a weapon that will destroy all life in universe, so you destroy it first.

After that the series' plot disappears up its own ass. [/Q --end Just Games Retro wrote--] Love to have this description the game group. Especially the last part. :)

St. Martyne (3648) on 10/2/2009 4:12 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

So what's the deal then? Why has it become so popular?

And with the amount of money, voice acting and music talent now going into it, it will be impossible anymore to resist playing its sequels in the future.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95085) on 10/2/2009 5:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]So what's the deal then? Why has it become so popular?[/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--] My best guess is that it seems to be focus-tested and manufactured to appeal as much as possible to spiteful 14-year-old boys who are good at making their parents buy them things. Millions are sold to that demographic alone. Then it becomes Microsoft's "killer app", and then millions more are sold because people figure if they have an Xbox they have to have Halo, otherwise they're missing out.

I've made it halfway through the first game on co-op and was bored silly. Played a couple hours of deathmatches with some friends and was still bored silly. It's an empty, vapid shell of a game.

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/3/2009 12:02 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start djsquarewave wrote--] [Q2 --start St_Martyne wrote--]So what's the deal then? Why has it become so popular? [/Q2 --end St_Martyne wrote--] My best guess is that it seems to be focus-tested and manufactured to appeal as much as possible to spiteful 14-year-old boys who are good at making their parents buy them things. Millions are sold to that demographic alone. Then it becomes Microsoft's "killer app", and then millions more are sold because people figure if they have an Xbox they have to have Halo, otherwise they're missing out. [/Q --end djsquarewave wrote--] That's pretty much my guess. And seeing how most console fps's are more or less obvious Halo rip offs, that seems to be the guess of the entire gaming industry as well.

In any case, the fun (?) part is that many of those 14-year olds that get their sea legs with the Halo series are blown away when they know Half Life 2, which would seem to prove that Halo has actually taken shooters as a genre several years back =(

Foxhack (32100) on 10/2/2009 6:11 PM · Permalink · Report

It was an entire generation's "first".

You know how the Nintendo generation loves Super Mario Bros? Well, it's kinda like that. It doesn't matter if there were dozens of better games before it, especially on PC - the fans don't care about them, it's Halo or nothing.

Parf (7873) on 10/3/2009 4:59 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I remember buying Halo 2 just because it was the only co-op game me and my friend hadn't played at the time. We tried it for a couple of hours, then I traded it in. I got a severe yelling at from the guy at the store because I "didn't understand how cool Halo was". I disagreed and bought a fun game instead from him, much to his anger. You know it's bad when the first thing out of his mouth when I said I didn't like it was "THE DOOR IS OVER THERE!" while pointing with his entire arm. :p