🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Credits annoyances

Iggi (35816) on 10/2/2009 7:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Entering credits can be quite frustrating at times:

1. Entering a person for multiple roles that is not yet in the database (Example: The new developer "John Doe" is credited both for "Programming" and "Art") will create two different new developer entries. It's not possible to reuse the already existing one though it was already 'added' through the dropdown menu.

2. The feature to suggest developers with similar spellings in the drop down menu usually works very good, but I recently discovered that a lot of characters mainly used in Eastern Europe are not mapped (i.e. entering Miroslaw doesn't find Mirosław). This shouts for duplicates and is really hard to find out manually!

3. Reordering names doesn't work. Well, it does work, but it's far from intuitive: Changing the order seems to have no effect when pressing the update button - when the site is reloaded nothing has changed, the order is exactly as before. But when pressing the Update button a second time (without changing anything, though the order numbers are obviously wrong) everything is adjusted how it should have been after the first click (Browser: Seamonkey, haven't tested with others yet, but this used to work some time ago).

4. And the old, well know bug that comments for persons are lost when using the update button and the person hasn't been selected through the dropdown menu yet.

All of the above points (except for point 3) take a lot of extra time to circumvent them, so I thought I'd create this thread as some kind of bug report :-)

Any additional thought or things that I forgot?

Foxhack (32100) on 10/2/2009 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Iggi wrote--]Entering credits can be quite frustrating at times:

1. Entering a person for multiple roles that is not yet in the database (Example: The new developer "John Doe" is credited both for "Programming" and "Art") will create two different new developer entries. It's not possible to reuse the already existing one though it was already 'added' through the dropdown menu.[/quote]

Uh, that never happens to me.

[Q --start Iggi wrote--]3. Reordering names doesn't work. Well, it does work, but it's far from intuitive: Changing the order seems to have no effect when pressing the update button - when the site is reloaded nothing has changed, the order is exactly as before. But when pressing the Update button a second time (without changing anything, though the order numbers are obviously wrong) everything is adjusted how it should have been after the first click (Browser: Seamonkey, haven't tested with others yet, but this used to work some time ago).[/quote] Long standing and annoying bug.

[Q --start Iggi wrote--]4. And the old, well know bug that comments for persons are lost when using the update button and the person hasn't been selected through the dropdown menu yet.[/quote]

When that happens, I just wait for the list to load, then I look at the source and figure out which one of the multiple choices is the right one. It would be easier if we could see the developer ID number when choosing, though.

Corn Popper (69027) on 10/2/2009 7:26 PM · Permalink · Report

1. If you know this is the case... don't select anything at all for any of the developers and when you update, they will all go to the same person.

2. What characters specifically are not coming up? I can get them mapped.

3. Yeah known.

4. If you're going to go the route of not selecting anyone from the drop then disable JavaScript and do it the old way. Otherwise it works fine when selecting from the drop.

Iggi (35816) on 10/2/2009 7:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]1. If you know this is the case... don't select anything at all for any of the developers and when you update, they will all go to the same person.[/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

Ah, thanks, I didn't find that out myself.

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]2. What characters specifically are not coming up? I can get them mapped.[/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

ł, ń, ś and ż all don't seem to work (though there are probably others as well...)

Xoleras (66141) on 10/2/2009 7:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Actually, if you don't update in-between, it does look like it creates a duplicate developer. And I think it actually did it in the past, but these days when you enter "both" and then update, it will be the same developer (matching ID).

Sicarius (61518) on 10/5/2009 11:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ř isn't recognized either when entering just an "R". There are more but I don't know them at the moment. When I added the Codename: Panzers - Cold War credits many came up but Sciere added alternate names so I can't tell anymore on first glance which ones have special characters and which ones don't.