Forums > MobyGames > Approving time for screenshots

Nekto (16) on 1/25/2010 3:26 PM · Permalink · Report

How much time should pass normally so screenshots be contributed? A week have passed.

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/25/2010 3:31 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Nekto wrote--]How much time should pass normally so screenshots be contributed? A week have passed. [/Q --end Nekto wrote--] It depends on the platform - some platform queues have less approvers assigned to them and may take longer.

Edit - a week is really nothing in MobyTime :)

katarn_88 (1231) on 2/10/2010 12:08 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--] [Q2 --start Nekto wrote--]How much time should pass normally so screenshots be contributed? A week have passed. [/Q2 --end Nekto wrote--] It depends on the platform - some platform queues have less approvers assigned to them and may take longer.

Edit - a week is really nothing in MobyTime :) [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--] If screenshots or covers are waiting many days or weeks there is no desire to add something new. For example, as I see, covers for Xbox360 or PSP can wait a week or much, much more.

katarn_88 (1231) on 2/12/2010 10:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Why some Xbox360 covers that had been added 10/2/2010 was approved and others, that were added 6/2/2010 are still waiting for approving? O_o

vedder (70767) on 2/13/2010 2:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Most likely the set is being discussed by approvers behind the scenes. Approvers are not all-knowing and sometimes we just don't know what's the best course of action for a certain set (i.e. approval, WIPing to have something changed). When this case approvers have various options such as discussing it in the approver forum, attaching messages to the entry that only other approvers can read (and give input) or escalating if that initially doesn't bring much clarity (to bring it to a wider range of attention).

Indra was here (20756) on 1/26/2010 7:38 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Nekto wrote--]How much time should pass normally so screenshots be contributed? A week have passed. [/Q --end Nekto wrote--] Patience, mate. You'll only provoke the locals that have "years" on their waiting list. :)

Foxhack (32100) on 1/26/2010 7:53 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm still waiting for a few PS2 shots I submitted to be approved.

It's not like the queue's flooded or anything T_T

Michael B (303) on 2/6/2010 2:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Screenshots are actually one of the things that have passed through the approval stage the quickest for me.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/6/2010 12:13 PM · Permalink · Report

I have a bunch of screenshots pending since November.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 2/6/2010 4:05 PM · Permalink · Report

What platform?

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/6/2010 4:42 PM · Permalink · Report

SNES (Zelda III)

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 2/6/2010 7:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--]SNES (Zelda III) [/Q --end Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--] Checking... those were reviewed the day after you submitted them and were promptly escalated.

You made the sometimes-controversial move of suggesting that captured screenshots should be replaced with crisper, emulated screenshots. I have occasionally met resistance on this matter as well.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 2/7/2010 12:06 AM · Permalink · Report

Wait, I thought the other way around (replacing emulated shots with ones captured from the real hardware) was the controversial one!

Foxhack (32100) on 2/7/2010 2:59 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm planning on replacing emulated Ps1 screenshots with hardware ones 'cause PS1 emulation is not perfect, but I'd never touch screenshots from systems that are properly emulated (unless said emulation is broken.)

BurningStickMan (17916) on 2/7/2010 4:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, good emulators can be technically perfect... but a direct capture from an emulated video buffer is generally going to be much smaller and sharper than anyone would have ever seen it when playing the actual game.

To be fair though, I get the impression that it's just replacements in general that are a hassle. :P

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/8/2010 1:51 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Multimedia Mike wrote--] [Q2 --start Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--]SNES (Zelda III) [/Q2 --end Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--] Checking... those were reviewed the day after you submitted them and were promptly escalated.

You made the sometimes-controversial move of suggesting that captured screenshots should be replaced with crisper, emulated screenshots. I have occasionally met resistance on this matter as well. [/Q --end Multimedia Mike wrote--] Those aren't captured shots, they are emulator shots with the 2Xsai or whatever it's called rendering enabled; and they have the wrong resolution.

Foxhack (32100) on 2/8/2010 6:25 PM · Permalink · Report

He's right. I can recognize that godawful filter a mile away.

Picard (47560) on 2/18/2010 11:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Only one week :) Few more months and my credits that have been waiting for 1 year :D

katarn_88 (1231) on 2/20/2010 12:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Is there any logic I wonder. Some covers and screenshots are approving at the same day they were added and others wait for weeks for I don't know what. Corrections, new games and covers for PSP nobody looks at all as I see.

vedder (70767) on 2/20/2010 2:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Each approver has only access to a few queues. Because no approver knows everything about all platforms. For example I only have access to the queues of DOS, Windows, Linux, CD-i, Game Boy (Color/Advanced), Dreamcast and Nintendo DS. So it can be the case that some queues are handled by more active approvers than others.

And things like corrections can only be looked at by site moderators and all have to be done manually, meaning they are very time consuming and delicate.

Another factor is the ease of approvals of some items compared to others. If I just have 5 minutes of time to approve some things, I can easily look at some product codes or screenshots, but looking at new game entries or credits submissions can easily take more than half an hour per submission.

katarn_88 (1231) on 2/20/2010 9:16 AM · Permalink · Report

I understand it, but when about 100 PC covers are waiting for approve for a long time, I see new covers, added right now or maybe day before so it looks strange.

As for new game: if this is really "new game" - this is one thing, but if we talk about collector's edition with covers for it (so you can see it's true) - maybe it could be approved much more earlier.

formercontrib (157510) on 2/20/2010 2:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Bad example, show me 100 PC cover - i can't remember this if they weren't mine ;)

katarn_88 (1231) on 2/20/2010 9:45 PM · Permalink · Report

LOL what? Just today after this my message vedder approved about 100 of mine PC covers.

DJP Mom (11333) on 2/20/2010 10:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start katarn_88 wrote--]LOL what? Just today after this my message vedder approved about 100 of mine PC covers. [/Q --end katarn_88 wrote--]Hopefully these were not the low-resolution covers I remember seeing in the queue?

formercontrib (157510) on 2/20/2010 10:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Must have his own queue, mine for PC was empty.

DJP Mom (11333) on 2/20/2010 11:22 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start katarn_88 wrote--]LOL what? Just today after this my message vedder approved about 100 of mine PC covers. [/Q --end katarn_88 wrote--]Where are your disc scans?

katarn_88 (1231) on 2/21/2010 12:03 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--] Where are your disc scans? [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--] You really need them? I haven't done disc scans so I could scan all covers I have, then, I can scan discs, but it's for future. There is no instruction to do all possible scans so I didn't scan discs yet. As we say in Russia - Moscow wasn't build in one moment. Anyway, I haven't get any questions from approvers, so I thought and think still that I did and I do everything (or almost everything) in right way.

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--] Hopefully these were not the low-resolution covers I remember seeing in the queue? [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--] Resolution is the same as in instrustions on mobygames so I can't understand what do you want to say.

Sorry for my english again :)

Москва не сразу строилась, с обложками бы разобрались для начала, а потом и диски когда-нибудь будут. Дындык он и в закордонье дындык в общем)

DJP Mom (11333) on 2/21/2010 12:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't read Russian, sorry. We do ask that you submit a full set of scans, which includes the disc, but if you can't then you can't. Then I would ask why not. :)

katarn_88 (1231) on 2/21/2010 6:38 PM · Permalink · Report

I'll scan them, but not now. Problem?

DJP Mom (11333) on 2/21/2010 6:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Just wondering, why not now? Its not exactly a problem.

Havoc Crow (29831) on 2/22/2010 5:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start katarn_88 wrote--]Problem? [/Q --end katarn_88 wrote--]

Sciere (930484) on 2/22/2010 3:46 PM · Permalink · Report

I thought exactly the same thing =)

katarn_88 (1231) on 3/16/2010 8:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Doesn't make any sense but ok.

Can anybody say: is there any PSP approvers? Covers wait for him about 1,5 month - how long should it wait else? Maybe covers are bad - ok, but nobody said about it. Just silence.

Update: Thank you :) Forum has a great approving power)