Forums > MobyGames > Official MG Temple of Approvals™

Indra was here (20756) on 9/21/2010 6:32 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hear ye flock of the faithful! The MG Temple of Approvals is now open!
Please wipe feet before entering.

The place where the faithful may whine about how slow their prayer contributions are being answered and where the acolytes of the MobyGod whine about how vague the prayers are.

May the MobyGod guide us with the wisdom of approving. Punish us with rejection. Teach us with WIPing. Reward us with MobyPoints.

Ramien.

Acolytes may collude with other acolytes to have their prayers answered faster...but don't tell the others.

<hr />

Please submit any and all contribution questions/updates/discussions here. May help speed up the approval process, since a one-on-one WIP here sometimes is the equivalent of alternating turns of Pong on a weekly basis.

Indra was here (20756) on 10/3/2010 11:40 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Any chance those game groups getting approved (or WIP-ed) soon?. Still have 1,353,523 groups to make. :p

Evil Ryu (66051) on 10/3/2010 11:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Currently I've some PS2 credits in the queue etc. ^_^

Evil Ryu (66051) on 11/9/2010 12:49 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, Inderanta and Kabushi "Gods"! ^_^

Indra was here (20756) on 11/9/2010 12:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Thank Kabushi. He opened the PS2 credits queue up for me. I'll continue yer stuff tomorrow. I'm having migraines looking at Japanese names. :p

Patrick Bregger (300054) on 11/9/2010 7:23 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey, know you need to approve my pending PC credits. I want my first place back! :)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (94213) on 11/9/2010 2:01 AM · Permalink · Report

I've got a bunch of SNES release info pending since January, if anyone wants to take a crack at those. ;)

Also a half-dozen Virtual Boy credit sets if anyone feels like pushing that platform even closer to completion. But those are only like a week old (some from today), not even moldy yet. :P

Indra was here (20756) on 11/9/2010 2:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I'll handle yer Jap credits too, tomorrow (or tonight). Not touching release info though. Gives me the creeps. :p

Parf (7873) on 11/9/2010 8:23 AM · Permalink · Report

If anyone is bored, the Ps2 queue has more or less ground to s halt. My feeble attempt as getting anywhere with it are futile at best right now. :\

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 11/9/2010 10:33 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--]If anyone is bored, the Ps2 queue has more or less ground to s halt. My feeble attempt as getting anywhere with it are futile at best right now. :\ [/Q --end Parf wrote--]

You do PS1 credits too? if so i've got some sitting in the queue for your amusement.

Parf (7873) on 11/9/2010 6:23 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start havoc of smeg wrote--]You do PS1 credits too? if so i've got some sitting in the queue for your amusement.[/Q --end havoc of smeg wrote--]

I actually try to avoid approving credits because, well, I suck at them. ;)

My main fortes would be... basically anything else. What I meant by my previous post was that I don't have enough time to sit down and make a dent in the queues at the moment. That enormous bunch I did for you that one time was kind of a lucky fluke, as our son actually decided to sleep on my lap by the computer. Something of a rarity nowadays, with him getting older and more playful.

Indra was here (20756) on 11/9/2010 2:22 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm about to go berserk every time a developer says "I'm project lead. Information reliable".

Am I the only one who remembers we're on the internet...where no one knows you're a dog? :p

Indra was here (20756) on 11/9/2010 2:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Lovely PC queues we're having. Get a life people and leave the poor approvers alone! :p

game tech-info 143 745 587
game cover art 94 398 69

That's a lot of cover art.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 11/11/2010 5:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Any chance we could speed up TurboGrafx CD new game entries approvals? There is only my stuff in the queue. I still have about 200+ games to add, I want to have this platform completed. Only about 350+ games were released (usually people say 400, but a lot of them are demos or non-interactive stuff).

formercontrib (157510) on 11/11/2010 5:30 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]Any chance we could speed up TurboGrafx CD new game entries approvals? There is only my stuff in the queue. I still have about 200+ games to add, I want to have this platform completed. Only about 350+ games were released (usually people say 400, but a lot of them are demos or non-interactive stuff). [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]

Take it easy! --- that's the way i had to learn with my own submissions. Actually i reach again the 3.000 pending submissions - time will tell if i can beat my PB of approx. 3.500... ;)

But sooner (or much to often later) i get my "honorations". I would prefer it to see, when newbies and members outside the Top25 or so, get faster approvals - they're crave for their contribution points. Come on Oleg, with 94k or with 82k, are you still so in hurry for additional, 1, 5 or 10k....?? I'm not really...

Indra was here (20756) on 11/11/2010 6:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start joyvalley wrote--] Take it easy! --- that's the way i had to learn with my own submissions. Actually i reach again the 3.000 pending submissions - time will tell if i can beat my PB of approx. 3.500... ;) [/Q --end joyvalley wrote--] You do know that the psychological effect of sending too much submissions is approvers ignoring it all together? Bad for morale.

MZ per X (3017) on 11/11/2010 7:55 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start joyvalley wrote--] I would prefer it to see, when newbies and members outside the Top25 or so, get faster approvals - they're crave for their contribution points. [/Q --end joyvalley wrote--] That's a very good thought. I nearly lost interest in MobyGames when I started here, because - yeah - nothing happened with my early contributions. And back then there even was this "We will act in 24 hours!" slogan.

I really think we lose good new contributors this way. OTOH, the approvers are over-burdened already, so hmmm.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 11/12/2010 4:49 AM · Permalink · Report

I would prefer it to see, when newbies and members outside the Top25 or so, get faster approvals

That would be great as an ideal, but in reality, submissions by users with few points are almost always of lower quality than those by veteran contributors, and therefore need longer time to double-check, perhaps WIP, and eventually approve.

I really urge every new contributor to have patience, read our standards page, and - very important! - take a look at some of the recently approved game entries, to have an idea about how a good submission would look like.

If you are really interested in making MobyGames a quality site, it will be worth it.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 11/12/2010 5:08 AM · Permalink · Report

How many of them will ever read your message here? I remember it feeling like months if not years between when I started contributing to the site and when I investigated the tiny "forums" link.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 11/12/2010 5:43 AM · Permalink · Report

How many of them will ever read your message here? I remember it feeling like months if not years between when I started contributing to the site and when I investigated the tiny "forums" link.

Well, I guess people have different mentalities. I would never contribute to a site before knowing in full detail what it is they require.

Back in 2001, I read and re-read the FAQ, and also corresponded regularly with Trixter and others, gradually learning to improve my submissions. And back then there were no standards page, no forums, and 3 approvers/admins altogether.

Indra was here (20756) on 11/12/2010 5:58 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]I remember it feeling like months if not years between when I started contributing to the site and when I investigated the tiny "forums" link. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Now that you mention it, that really is a tiny little link for the forums. Really should need more publicity:

If you need more information bla..bla..bla...please visit the forums.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (94213) on 11/11/2010 8:42 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]Any chance we could speed up TurboGrafx CD new game entries approvals? There is only my stuff in the queue. I still have about 200+ games to add, I want to have this platform completed. Only about 350+ games were released (usually people say 400, but a lot of them are demos or non-interactive stuff). [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--] I'll go look at those later today. Don't know if I'll get to all of them, but we'll see. :)

Indra was here (20756) on 11/12/2010 10:02 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]Any chance we could speed up TurboGrafx CD new game entries approvals? There is only my stuff in the queue. I still have about 200+ games to add, I want to have this platform completed. Only about 350+ games were released (usually people say 400, but a lot of them are demos or non-interactive stuff). [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--] I could speed thing's along if an admin opens the queue up for me. Just make sure that you get all the information right the first time around since I have no idea what a TurboGrafx looks like :p

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 11/11/2010 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Would like to see the Collectors Edition of Fallout: New Vegas. Got cover scans waiting to be submitted, and would like to get them submitted, save having to sit on them, tweedling my thumbs in impatiance for the game to be approved.

Also, I happen to know theres 2 of them either WIP or pending. Either one will do, i'm not that fussed.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 11/27/2010 6:02 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Any chance for my featured game to be approved? It's been pending since the beginning of August.

Oh, and my poll? Since May...

Evil Ryu (66051) on 12/16/2010 1:09 AM · Permalink · Report

MG Approvers "on strike"? Oh, my credits... +P

Indra was here (20756) on 12/16/2010 4:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh, keep your socks on. Er, on second thought, keep it off. You need it for Xmas decorations. :p

It'll be all done next month, so now you have time to chase girls and intentionally walk under a mistletoe. You have one month to find Chun-Li so Ryu won't be alone. :)

Evil Ryu (66051) on 12/16/2010 5:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Oh, keep your socks on. Er, on second thought, keep it off. You need it for Xmas decorations. :p

It'll be all done next month, so now you have time to chase girls and intentionally walk under a mistletoe. You have one month to find Chun-Li so Ryu won't be alone. :) [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]...

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 12/17/2010 4:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Ok, err, so I got a batch of screens and 3 release dates for that Wii Case Closed game in pending mode since September. Any chance to see it approved before the Doom marine saves the world in 2145 or is this one of "those" moments when one should just forget about it... Are there any Wii approvers at all?

Indra was here (20756) on 12/17/2010 5:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Try pulling it out from the approval queue and re-check you submissions. See if its easy enough to verify without much hassle needed from the approver side.

Even minor stuff like typos have this enormous negative effect on approvers. The easier the submission, the easier the approval. Theoretically speaking (well, except for me. Approvers love to constantly WIP my stuff for no apparent reason...hehe).

shakes fist at approver conspiracy

Er. Other than that, you'll just have to rely on crossing your fingers like the rest of us. :)

Klaster_1 (57612) on 12/17/2010 6:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Indra, how long does it typically takes for approver to check large credits, like from recent blockbuster shooters?

Indra was here (20756) on 12/17/2010 7:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, I can't speak for other approvers, but in my case, this should give you an idea:

1. Does the credit entry have verifiable source?

If yes, continue to #2. If not, WIP (mood depending) or be ignored indefinitely.

2. Does the verifiable source come with complete uploaded screenshots for all the developer names?

If yes, continue to #3. If not, WIP or be ignored indefinitely.

3. Does a quick scan of the credits indicate a numerous typos/capitalization/grammar errors, etc?

If no, continue to #4. If yes, continue to #6 or be ignored indefinitely.

4. Does the credits have a lot of new developer names?

If no, continue to #5. If yes, continue to #6.

5. Is the credit list a long one?

If no, check, WIP when necessary or approve. If yes, continue to #6

6. Am I in a good approving mood?

If yes, check each new developer name for typos. Compare with screenshots. Check roles. Check role spelling. Check everything.
If no, be ignored indefinitely.

So basically, somewhere between immediately and indefinitely. Mood depending. :)

Other effecting considerations: new user or veteran user. Does the user have a habit of making no mistakes, little mistakes, or a "OH, MY GOD HAVEN'T WE WIP-ED THIS A GAZZILION TIMES ALREADY?" learning curve. :p

Klaster_1 (57612) on 12/17/2010 9:36 PM · Permalink · Report

I guess 20Mb PDF from Steam as source and without screenshots leads you to "be ignored indefinitely" since dial-up connection?

Foxhack (32100) on 12/17/2010 10:18 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Um, why are you telling people to download a 20 MB PDF?

Why aren't you submitting snapshots of the credit pages from that PDF? You can't assume everyone has a PDF reader installed, or that they can spare the bandwidth / time to download a manual.

Back when I approved things, I IMMEDIATELY WIPed anything that didn't come with uploaded scans or a link to an HTML file. Anything bigger? Well, that PDF may not be around in the future when we have to verify credits. So you HAVE to submit pictures of those PDFs.

Indra was here (20756) on 12/18/2010 3:07 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--]You can't assume everyone has a PDF reader installed, or that they can spare the bandwidth / time to download a manual. [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--] This happened to me a several months ago. PDF reader got corrupted, too lazy to install. Bandwith was already filled with lovely digital women being compiled.

Ah, to be an approver with 30kBps (max).
sniff

Patrick Bregger (300054) on 12/18/2010 7:25 AM · Permalink · Report

I submit screenshots of everything, even HTML pages. Websites disappear, uploaded screenshots not.

Indra was here (20756) on 12/18/2010 8:51 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]Websites disappear, uploaded screenshots not. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]Which reminds me that sending in a html line to a direct screenshot on the net doesn't sound like a bright idea anymore.

Oops.

doesn't... doesn doesnot ...English grammar is weird

Klaster_1 (57612) on 12/18/2010 2:52 PM · Permalink · Report

That is a good point, I've added all missing screenshots. But it's still confusing, when images size is 5 times greater than PDF.

Foxhack (32100) on 12/18/2010 7:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Save most images as JPG. Depending on your program, you can get good quality out of a 50% compressed image (or less). If the image has a lot of uh, details, then using PNG makes no sense since it'll bloat the image anyway.

Also, you can crop some areas out, so you can save the parts of the page that only contain text.

Patrick Bregger (300054) on 12/17/2010 5:56 PM · Permalink · Report

If there is he has all hands full with my latest credits submissions!

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 12/17/2010 6:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Well yeah, maybe. But compared to credits, a couple of screens and release dates are relatively easy to approve :p

Indra was here (20756) on 12/17/2010 7:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start TotalAnarchy wrote--]But compared to credits, a couple of screens and release dates are relatively easy to approve :p [/Q --end TotalAnarchy wrote--] It would depend on the approver preference actually.

I don't do screenshots (unless requested by frustrated approvers) und coverart (pirates have no experience here) for example. Release dates require additional research (since there are a lot of really conflicting dates, even by publishers). So for me, credits is a tad easier to verify...though it does take a wee longer due to manual re-checking and getting lost somewhere in screenshot #32 of the Quality Assurance section.

Klaster_1 (57612) on 12/30/2010 7:01 PM · Permalink · Report

I have some releases pending for Xbox 360 and PS3 since the beginning of December. Because of experience lack for that platforms, I'd like to know it's approvers and, if possible, proximate time of queue getting there.

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 12/30/2010 9:30 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm on the PS3 beat, and I'm trying to improve my approval diligence.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 12/31/2010 2:31 AM · Permalink · Report

I have alternate titles pending since early November.

Evil Ryu (66051) on 2/4/2011 8:20 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Now loading! =D

(About PS2 credits' queue)