🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Help with Genre Racing / Driving

Ƒreddƴ (5833) on 12/20/2010 10:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Hi Guys, im just curios about this Genre and how it gets used. Recently I tried to submit a hunting game, where you can ride a horse or a quad bike. And I saw other entries list it with Racing / Driving.

Now. Does that mean games like Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 should also have this tag? since in them there is drivable vehicles? As with most Call of Duty games where U ride a snowmobile/tank/bike.

Just feel Racing / Driving and "Drivable Vehicles" are 2 very separate things. Or is it just me?

lilalurl (733) on 12/20/2010 10:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Semi-on-topic: No vehicle in UT2003 if you except the Bulldog (and that is a specific case).

leilei (343) on 12/27/2010 9:36 PM · Permalink · Report

ONS-Tricky would like to have a word about this. That map is official, and primarily geared toward vehicular gameplay.

Not to mention all those stupid third-party "trial" assault maps available.

lilalurl (733) on 12/28/2010 10:18 AM · Permalink · Report

But Onslaught, Assault (and VCTF) are not available in UT2003.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 12/20/2010 10:32 PM · Permalink · Report

My personal opinion: racing/driving should be a substantial part of the gameplay mechanics to get this genre tag. So I think GTA has it rightfully because you spend most of your time in cars and a lot of missions are racing/driving based. On the other hand I wouldn't give Borderlands this tag because the drivable cars are mostly used for transportation only.

Ƒreddƴ (5833) on 12/20/2010 10:37 PM · Permalink · Report

So then. this would be incorrect here.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hunting-unlimited-2008

But then shouldn’t there be a group for games that feature driveable vehicles?

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 12/20/2010 11:09 PM · Permalink · Report

I wouldn't say it is wrong per se (as far as I know we don't have a decisive policy on the question "How much of a game needs to match a genre to be tagged?") but it doesn't match my personal preference and interpretation.

Klaster_1 (57612) on 12/21/2010 8:19 AM · Permalink · Report

I totally agree with you. There are many games with unnecessary genres, presented only for couple of minutes or not being the essential part at all.

Like action in Colin McRae Rally 2.0. Is that because of fireball cheat code?

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 12/21/2010 8:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Action + Racing is often used for games in which you race/drive but the gameplay is very action oriented, e.g. the Crash Time series or Mario Kart variants. The same pattern applies to flying games.

Problem is that this is very subjective (some simulations could be branded as action games depending from which perspective you look at it, some people automatically use "Action" when "Simulation" can't be applied) and we dont have a policy.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 12/21/2010 1:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Something that was puzzling me was what makes a game a racing game, such as clearing a vehicle-less non-track-and-field platforming obstacle course under a certain time limit.