🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > More Elder Scrolls

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 11/30/2011 11:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Okay, so now the whole Skyrim craze has made me go back in time and try out Daggerfall.

I made it out of the initial dungeon (not at all as hard as people made it out to be) and traveled to some cities. I was very addicted, and yet the "no mouse look" coupled with rather poor textures got on my nerves.

Question: should I persist? Is it on par with later installments - perhaps better in some ways? Another question: should I try Arena?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 11/30/2011 12:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Ok, so I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry :)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/30/2011 12:58 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Is it better? Um... it is different.

Daggerfall is completely randomly generated. Every town, every dungeon, the whole world is put together randomly by the computer. Including the quests. People talk how they played Daggerfall forever but honestly, there are basically like about 20 different quests and variations from that. Except everything related to the main quest which was put together by and. But anyway I fail to see how it didn't grow repetitive in a few days.

Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are more like Gothic and Ultima when it comes to the world.

It is aesthetically lacking too compared to other games in it's time. Diablo for example.

However the basic Elder Scrolls gameplay is already there in Daggerfall and is basically quite similar to how it is in it's newer installments.

But it is also different in other ways. The Elder Scrolls universe in Daggerfall feels completely different from what it feels like in MW, O and S. I can't exactly pinpoint it down.... but for one thing, there's a lot of nudity. Naked boobs everywhere. In temples, in towns, in dungeons. It feels like a completely different universe. More old-school fantasy.

Try it out though. It is quite addictive. Try some main quest quests. Read some books. It is historically interesting to see how Elder Scrolls games evolved.

formercontrib (157510) on 11/30/2011 1:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start D.I wrote--]I can't exactly pinpoint it down.... but for one thing, there's a lot of nudity. Naked boobs everywhere. In temples, in towns, in dungeons. [/Q --end D.I wrote--]

I'm quite sure, not more arguments required to satisfy our Unicorn_Boobsman...

Adzuken (836) on 11/30/2011 3:23 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--] I was very addicted, and yet the "no mouse look" coupled with rather poor textures got on my nerves. [/Q] There's mouse look. Check the options. I was annoyed by this at first, but after enabling mouse look and tweaking the controls, I was able to get them just right. [Q] Question: should I persist? Is it on par with later installments - perhaps better in some ways? Another question: should I try Arena? [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Stick with Daggerfall as long as you can. I've heard enough people sing its praises to believe that there's some value hidden somewhere deep in one of those dungeons. Just try out mouse look and quit when you get bored.

I wouldn't suggest trying Arena. Well, no, that's not right. Try Arena, but keep your expectations low.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 12/2/2011 12:14 PM · Permalink · Report

There's mouse look. Check the options.

Thank you very much! I found it. The game plays a million times better now.

Question: you can't really travel anywhere in Daggerfall, can you? I walked and walked but didn't reach any... err.. place. You can only fast-travel, right?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/2/2011 12:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Yup, pretty much. Only fast travel.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 12/2/2011 1:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Bummer.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/2/2011 2:13 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not like there's really anything to explore there.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 12/2/2011 2:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Still, I want to discover towns, not getting magically teleported to them... this is a major turn-off.

András Gregorik (59) on 12/2/2011 2:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It's a 1996 game, people didn't even dare to dream about exploring 3D worlds and towns back then... I think 3D rpg's generally sucked in the 90's (except Ultima Underworld 1-2), but 2D rpg's were awesome.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/2/2011 2:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, you can always try walking in one direction and see how many real-life hours it takes you to reach anywhere. That's not really meant as part of the experience.

Instead visit the shops. Buy some clothes, read some books. Dress your character, kill some people. Do some quests.

Adzuken (836) on 12/2/2011 3:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Question: you can't really travel anywhere in Daggerfall, can you? I walked and walked but didn't reach any... err.. place. You can only fast-travel, right? [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Technically you can walk from town to town if you have an excellent sense of direction. They're all there, but since there's no landmarks, the draw distance is so short, and there are no roads, they're difficult to find without fast-travel. However, they are a bit easier to find at night, as their lights can be seen from further away. But I wouldn't suggest traveling at night.

Rola (8483) on 12/4/2011 11:15 AM · Permalink · Report

You can. I bought a horse and went from one dungeon to a town in 3D view mode. It took ages (check your position on the minimap). The generated landscapes were so boring I did this only once.

Donald Stark on 12/5/2011 7:58 AM · Permalink · Report

They are there, but because there is no landmark, draw distance is so short, there are no roads, they are difficult to find there are no quick travel LED Flashlights. However, they are a bit easier to find at night, their lights can be seen from far.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 12/5/2011 2:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Holy guacamole, this is either the most advanced spambot I have ever encountered, or a real sorry dude that has to work his days in some far away place, actually reading discussion threads to "hide" links in a meaningful response.

Edit: Okay, not so advanced, only just realised it's basically a mangled version of Adzuken's post :)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/5/2011 3:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm still impressed. The way LED flashlights just fits with the context, I was thinking it might be a wiki or a youtube link.

vedder (70822) on 12/5/2011 3:29 PM · Permalink · Report

It's interesting how it's not exactly the same text, some synonyms and removed words there.

They're definitely evolving!