Forums > MobyGames > No new polls?

chirinea (47495) on 5/11/2014 3:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Aren't those set to be released once per week? It's been more than a month since the last one.

Cavalary (11445) on 5/11/2014 4:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Seemed to be every other week with the new team, but in fact what we got were the ones that the server considered as active during the GF phase and which weren't displayed then, so they were rescheduled. Now I guess they got to the end of that batch and nobody bothered to add anything else to it. Was actually just about to ask about this.

Simon Carless (1834) on 5/11/2014 5:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hm, let me sort this out - there was an admin doing them all through the previous period (not myself or Reed), but they obviously ran out of time to do it.

[EDIT: We're set for polls every 10 days until late November! Thanks for the heads up, and thanks to everyone who submitted.]

(I did recently fix up Featured Games to run through July, weekly - thanks to FatherJack and others for contributing to that!)

chirinea (47495) on 5/11/2014 7:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Awesome, thanks, Simon!

Cavalary (11445) on 5/19/2014 2:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Um, I thought we were to have some new ones?

Nélio (1976) on 5/19/2014 2:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I have a pending poll since January.

Simon Carless (1834) on 5/19/2014 8:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah, crap, it turns out I misunderstood how these work. I presumed that when you put a date into the back end against a poll, it would automatically appear. (As it does for featured games.) Apparently, no, you have to manually approve each of them, even if you put a date next to it?

(If other admins can confirm this, I will just sigh mightily and put it on my list, maybe I'll do it every Friday when the new blog post goes up!)

Anyhow, there's a new one up NOW.

Rola (8483) on 5/19/2014 8:54 PM · Permalink · Report

So if it works auto for featured games, can this code be implemented for polls?

Simon Carless (1834) on 5/19/2014 10:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm sure it can be, it's just a feature that didn't work as I expected :)

Rola (8483) on 5/20/2014 11:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Speaking of polls, I'm a bit disappointed that they usually get ~150 votes max, does it mean the numbers of registered users visiting the site regularly are so low?

The fact that polls have to be approved means we could have some tighter quality control. I've seen some poorly thought out questions/answers. Not to mention the flood of "Mario or Luigi" trivial stuff.

By the way, my upcoming poll is about one of MobyGames features - if we want to improve this site we need more feedback (more than just a bunch of us regulars complaining on the forum).

Rwolf (22823) on 5/20/2014 1:39 PM · Permalink · Report

You can vote without logging in as well, to get double the fun for every poll ;-p

Alaka (106092) on 5/20/2014 7:43 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm sure the poll would get more votes if it was in a more prominent position on the homepage.

Corn Popper (69027) on 5/22/2014 7:19 PM · Permalink · Report

I was approving these until we ran out. I was scheduling them to show up every other week on Mondays. Since I more free time I'll look at these.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/22/2014 8:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Confirmed. Just got three polls of mine approved.

Simon Carless (1834) on 5/25/2014 12:03 AM · Permalink · Report

OK great, I am presuming that Corn Popper is doing these from now on, if they start not appearing again, holler and I'll put em up!