Forums > MobyGames > Looking for help with 3DS/other Nintendo games...

Simon Carless (1835) on 1/23/2016 4:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hey folks,

Unfortunately, MobyGames is a bit behind on Nintendo 3DS fans/documenters of late (with a couple of exceptions like Harmony and Michael Cassidy!), so we need to get back up to speed on releases. For example:

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/3ds/2015/

We only have 43 games - including many emulated titles - released in 2015 for 3DS, and I can see we're missing some major games like Yokai Watch!, Mario/Puzzle & Dragons, etc, etc. As well as a LOT of the 3DS eShop-only titles. I'm sure this is true for previous years as well.

(The Wii U is actually looking better, but I bet there's still some missing titles.)

Obviously, one of the stumbling blocks has been that taking 3DS screenshots is a REAL pain, involving uploading to Miiverse and grabbing back down, and I think doesn't even work for many games.

But - until we permit 'official' screenshots - we can at least add a game with a description & date for games with their 3DS eShop icon (easily grabbable on the Web). (Reminder: we also accept box art but it needs to be scanned yourself - you can't grab it from Amazon, etc.)

In any case, I'm putting up this post and am going to post to some Nintendo sites in a hope to get some new helpers. If those people have questions - or if anyone existing wants to jump on - you can actually add games just by researching them via eShop - https://www.nintendo.com/eshop/.

Finally, here is a great example of a recently released 3DS game - Nintendo Badge Arcade from Harmony. This is what we're looking for eShop icon, objective description, official site link, release date info :)

We'd also love Nintendo fans to help us out by scanning and uploading box art - I'm sure there's a LOT of games from the history of Nintendo that we don't yet have your specific box art for, and box art is fairly easy to add in our system.

Help us preserve these physical (and particularly digital) titles for posterity - and post here if you have submission questions!

Cavalary (11445) on 1/23/2016 6:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Still say handhelds have traditionally been lagging a whole lot. And personally don't mind (or care).

Difficulty of taking screenshots should have no impact on submitting game entries though, not like they're required. (And still say a firm no to official screenshots.)

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 1/23/2016 7:13 PM · Permalink · Report

I will most likely add some Nintendo games this year, probably for NDS or Wii, but I'm a slow contributor so that doesn't amount to much.

Harmony♡ (21851) on 2/10/2016 7:25 PM · Permalink · Report

I'll see about picking up the pace a bit. Currently working on some 3DS and Wii U DLC, but once I'm done with my current batch I'll look towards the eShop. On that subject, it should be noted that Nintendo doesn't list DLC on the browser version of the eShop; you'll need to access it from the 3DS or Wii U if you want to look for those.

I really don't envy anyone who tries getting 3DS screenshots. It's a tedious process that only works for a handful of games with Miiverse support, or which otherwise have an in-game capture feature. If you want to go ahead, though, check out how I did shots for Fire Emblem: Awakening. You'll need to manually combine shots from the top and bottom screens into one image, and ideally add a black border to compensate for the bottom screen's smaller size, but the results look a lot nicer than adding both screens separately.

Wii U capture is a lot simpler. You can just suspend the game and use the console's internet browser to upload to Imgur or another image hosting site. As far as I can tell, this method works for all Wii U titles. Miiverse is also an option here, but you won't get source quality if you go that route.

JaredKFan (133) on 3/26/2016 5:06 AM · Permalink · Report

I actually have a physical copy of Mario Puzzle and Dragons, I can try to get to work on submitting an entry for that :)