Forums > MobyGames > Windows platform games before '95?

Cavalary (11445) on 7/1/2017 12:19 PM · Permalink · Report

This may have been discussed at some point before, but saw Jaunt Trooper: Mission - Thunderbolt added now with a Windows port supposedly released in '93, and when I checked in browser I saw one other supposedly Windows port in '93, for Klotz, plus A Day At The Races, Declaration of War, Hangman 2, Hyperoid and Telephone Puzzle 2 supposedly in '94, all of them listed with Windows (not 3.x) as the only platform...

With Windows 95 being released in '95, how does that work? Thought the Windows platform applies to 95 and above.

Kabushi (260849) on 7/1/2017 12:33 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't know if it's correct in this case, but Windows releases released earlier than 1995 might be running on Windows NT.

Plok (204497) on 7/4/2017 4:21 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kabushi wrote--]I don't know if it's correct in this case, but Windows releases released earlier than 1995 might be running on Windows NT. [/Q --end Kabushi wrote--] Why would games be aimed at NT 3.xx, a business- and server-oriented operating system which was basically the beginning of the NT line?

Foxhack (32102) on 7/4/2017 9:44 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Plokite_Wolf wrote--] [Q2 --start Kabushi wrote--]I don't know if it's correct in this case, but Windows releases released earlier than 1995 might be running on Windows NT. [/Q2 --end Kabushi wrote--] Why would games be aimed at NT 3.xx, a business- and server-oriented operating system which was basically the beginning of the NT line? [/Q --end Plokite_Wolf wrote--]Because they could. Maybe a programmer got bored, who knows?

Plok (204497) on 7/5/2017 1:43 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--] [Q2 --start Plokite_Wolf wrote--] [Q3 --start Kabushi wrote--]I don't know if it's correct in this case, but Windows releases released earlier than 1995 might be running on Windows NT. [/Q3 --end Kabushi wrote--] Why would games be aimed at NT 3.xx, a business- and server-oriented operating system which was basically the beginning of the NT line? [/Q2 --end Plokite_Wolf wrote--]Because they could. Maybe a programmer got bored, who knows? [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--] If we were talking about NT 4.0 (1996), I'd have agreed with you as there were games that supported it explicitly, but NT 3.xx (1993)? It was just the beginning of 32-bit Windows whereas the regular Windows 3.xx (1990-1992) was DOS-based to an extent greater than 9x. Hence, NT was very much uncharted territory for gaming before 4.0.

Cavalary (11445) on 7/4/2017 11:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Technically the PC was a business-oriented machine with little to no gaming capabilities at first, yet there were games for it.

(Yeah, wasn't aware that NT came earlier when I originally asked. Makes it unusual, but not impossible then.)

vedder (70685) on 7/4/2017 9:28 AM · Permalink · Report

I'll have a look at Jaunt, might have been an error on my side. But yes, we also count Windows NT under the Windows platform and that was already available earlier.