🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Full Resolution Cover possible?

Ha Sto on 2/10/2020 8:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey there! Tried the Search but it couldnt really help me! I want to ask how to open the full / original image size of a cover? https://www.mobygames.com/game/crash-bandicoot-2-cortex-strikes-back/cover-art/gameCoverId,527444/

for example this one says it has 4303x3784, but i can only see the low res version like a preview or so. Can anyone help please?!

Cavalary (11445) on 2/11/2020 2:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Because of bandwidth use, the full resolution covers aren't normally accessible. Special access may be granted to specific users who can justify their need, if someone with the ability to do so is around.

MAT (240968) on 2/11/2020 9:34 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

It's just to save on bandwidth (which is strange since we don't convert PNG images to JPG like we do for covers, lol).

I don't think there's a policy against giving URLs to covers, so if someone lost their own covers and wants to print a replacement or something, you could just ask.

If, however, you want access to many full resolution covers, then you should probably contact one of the site owners (or whoever uploaded the covers).

Anyway, I've PM-ed you direct link to the original upload size since I know original uploader wouldn't mind and it's not like you asked for 100 full set covers ;))

Enjoy!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 2/12/2020 3:21 PM · Permalink · Report

"I don't think there's a policy against giving URLs to covers, so if someone lost their own covers and wants to print a replacement or something, you could just ask."

Is it not the case that with the URL for a full cover, you can figure out how to get URLs for them all?

MAT (240968) on 2/13/2020 6:00 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

In the past I think you could just change "l" in the link to "o" to get original. O = Original, L = Large, S = Small.

However, years back that was changed so the URLs to original ones are completely different and un-guessable.

I mean, just look the how URLs are different now...

large cover users can see

• https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/527444-crash-bandicoot-2-cortex-strikes-back-playstation-back-cover.jpg original full-size uploaded cover
  • https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/original/1544790085-2720348569.jpg They're nothing alike. In the first link you can change "l" to "s" to get small cover, but changing it to "o" no longer works. Now, on the full URL you can change "original" to "large" to get the same cover as seen on site and change it to "small" to see thumbnail size. But, there's no way to know the URL to full size cover since they're different from the URL you see on the site as you can see in examples above. The only way to get correct URL is to be an Approver or Admin and find it out by editing covers where you can see full size quality image. Bottomline, it's un-guessable so there's no way to figure out original full-size uploads. Before, this was doable and was as easy as changing "l" to "o" on the URL that any user already sees on the covers page.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 2/13/2020 7:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I stand corrected! As you can see, it's been a while since I had anything to do with full-sized covers 8)