Forums > MobyGames > What to do with cover art for Mobile Games

nullnullnull (1463) on 3/31/2006 1:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Since most games are delivered via the network and not purchased in a retail outlet what should be do about cover art?

Roedie (5239) on 3/31/2006 3:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Maybe the message We're sorry but no box cover is currently on file for this game could be replaced with a picture of the MobyGames logo and/or a message saying This game was never distributed via physical media (I bet someone can put this into words a bit better)? That's what Home of the Underdogs does (or did?). This could also be used for freeware & shareware titles for the PC distributed through the Internet or games released solely on Xbox Live.

On a different note, but somewhat related: don't think this is acceptable, is it??

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 3/31/2006 4:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Are you kidding, that rocks: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/endless-forest/cover-art/gameCoverId,56362/

As far as games not published in hardcopy or in standard packaging, could the cover shot default to a screenshot of the title screen?

Roedie (5239) on 3/31/2006 6:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well it is kind of cute and I hate to be the formal bureaucrat around here :-> But still...

(Btw, seems like internal URL's must not be truncated when posted on the forums)

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 3/31/2006 4:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Roedie wrote--] On a different note, but somewhat related: don't think this is acceptable, is it?? [/Q --end Roedie wrote--]

That's awesome! THAT should be the standard for games not published in standard packaging! How the hell did that get through? Edit: Looks like it was submitted by one of the developers, so perhaps it's acceptable after all!

Sciere (927173) on 3/31/2006 7:12 PM · Permalink · Report

I approved that one, as it came directly from the developers, and nothing else is available. Better than nothing, and I liked it :)

Luis Silva (13444) on 4/1/2006 6:59 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I agree with using the title screen. In here, MPOs use it when advertising the game in their magazines in the same way stores use the front of the box for physically distributed games.

nullnullnull (1463) on 4/2/2006 12:06 AM · Permalink · Report

So I am thinking of this as a new policy

Adding a cover art type called

Title Screen: Games with electronic distribution only such as downloadable or mobile games a screenshot which approximates cover art is acceptable.

Luis Silva (13444) on 4/2/2006 1:43 AM · Permalink · Report

I've seen download-only games offering printable covers, so you might want to cover also that, just in case.

Shoddyan (15002) on 4/8/2006 2:18 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

(Moved to another reply. Oops)

nullnullnull (1463) on 4/4/2006 5:44 PM · Permalink · Report

What about;

Concept Art: Concept art or a screenshot that approximates cover art is acceptable for games that do not yet or will never have packaging cover art. Concept art for pre-lease games or games exlucively distributed electronically such as downloadable or mobile games may be contributed.

Игги Друге (46654) on 4/6/2006 10:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Or perhaps the main executable's icon.

Shoddyan (15002) on 4/8/2006 2:25 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--]What about;

Concept Art: Concept art or a screenshot that approximates cover art is acceptable for games that do not yet or will never have packaging cover art. Concept art for pre-lease games or games exlucively distributed electronically such as downloadable or mobile games may be contributed. [/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

"Concept Art" is better than "Title Screen"... and I suppose it is concept (or promotional) art... if it's not actually declared as a "Cover" (physical or downloadable) by the manufacturer. Quite frankly the publisher has the right to call whatever the heck they want a "Cover", even if it isn't in a box... but if the publisher does not say it is, then we might want to indicate this somewhere on the image (I almost want to suggest that a watermark or something (red corner marked "Online"?) ) because it's not one. Yet... I understand wanting to have something displayed in that space.

On second thought, "Concept Art" has a lot of preconceptions attached (I think of incomplete sketches myself), How about calling it "Release Art"?