🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Plot Overviews

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 4/24/2006 12:06 AM · Permalink · Report

I was thinking about the site and its goal to document everything relevent about every video games in existence. Technically wouldn't some sort of plot analysis or overview be "relevent" to the information of the video game. Would it be a good thing to look into for an update to MG?

Riamus (8480) on 4/24/2006 1:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Plot overview? How is this different from a game description? Game descriptions can and should discuss plots...

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/24/2006 1:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think what Matt means is a plot summary, i.e. the entire plot of a game written in a form of a short story. Personally, I love such things, I even tried to write a couple of plot summaries myself. Why not allow such things to be contributed to the Tipps & Tricks section?

This is especially useful when playing import games, such a summary can serve as a guide.

nullnullnull (1463) on 4/24/2006 2:03 AM · Permalink · Report

I have been very much thinking the same thing. I would be very open to suggestions.

chirinea (47495) on 4/24/2006 5:37 AM · Permalink · Report

Maybe they could be added to a game's rap sheet as something else than the description. Some games wouldn't apply, cause sometimes there's no plot at all, so when you're adding a game, it could be entered or not.

Joshua J. Slone (4666) on 4/24/2006 7:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Not much interesting to add but that I'd enjoy such a feature. I've long thought it would be useful to have some location to go to to find summaries of game plots. Such things are useful if you find yourself in a discussion about a game you've not played for a few years, or are about to start playing the sequel.

It could also make searching for a game easier here, depending on how detailed the summary would be. Sometimes you don't remember the name of the game, but a character or location.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 4/25/2006 12:30 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think it would definitely be a good thing to add this part along such features as "Cover Art" and "Tips & Tricks", right under the rap sheet section with its own section. If we try to squeeze it into a smaller section, games will especially long and complex stories like the Metal Gear solid series or Resident Evil or maybe even one of your Japense RPGs Oleg, then the plot or stoyline will seem less important or overshadowed. For this reason, I say give it its own section under the Rap Sheet.

My biggest suggestion: give it its own section for every game no matter what. If the game has no plot summary, then add a checkbox that says "This game has no plot/story" and that would be that. We can't really go through every game and tell whether or not it has a story or not and edit each one, so just give each game a section and let the users do the work.

This would definitely be a useful section, I find that fansites and wikipedia do not give enough details. I am especially frustrated when I play the sequel to a game and don't understand it becuase it had a lot of connections to the first. Wing Commander has a lot in the series, but it I really don't want to have to play the entire series just to get a taste of it.

Oleg, I also want to play some of the games you mentioned but I'll probably need a nice plot summary for those if get one in the middle of the series.

And hey, this could be nice opportunity for points, I'll especially have a lot of fun going back to the thousands of games we have entered here and writing up a nice plot summary for them. Of course, we wouldn't give points for the plots that have no story.

Sorry, I guess I'm jumping the gun here on this one, what other ideas have we got about this. I definitely think this should go under rap sheet. I was also thinking to add a characters subsection to this section if it doesn't eat up too many resources.

Oh, and I titled this topic wrong, it should be "Plot Summaries" no plot overviews. My mistake. ;-) Is anyone able to fix that?

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 5/4/2006 9:17 PM · Permalink · Report

So did this idea just die out or something? Does anyone have anything else to say on this? Will this be considered for MobyGames. Personally I think its extremely important.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/5/2006 5:19 AM · Permalink · Report

You'd better submit a feature request, send an e-mail to Brian Hirt, he'll make a ticket out of it, and maybe it will be added to one of the next releases.

Corn Popper (69027) on 5/5/2006 5:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Don't bug Brian, it's liable to get lost... better to email you Oleg... then you can make the request

the more details the better... do not point a link to this thread

nullnullnull (1463) on 5/5/2006 3:40 PM · Permalink · Report

I think this is a great idea actually. If you could design it on paper corn popper or myself will make a ticket and put it on the feature queue.

Send me or pops an email

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 5/5/2006 10:13 PM · Permalink · Report

K I'll try and hammer out the details, it shouldn't really be too hard.

Trixter (8952) on 5/14/2006 6:27 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

IMO, I think the best term kicked around for this addition was "Plot Summary".

Nice idea, I'd love to see this as an additional line in the Rap Sheet.