🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Did you find this review helpful?

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/10/2006 3:46 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

OK, reviewer talking here, so it might just be me being an egomaniac, but shouldn't this Did you find this review helpful? thing tell us how many "votes" a given review had? I'm thinking about the system at Amazon.com, where they say "XX out of YY people found this review useful".

Then again, you could ask why would anyone care about the popularity of a review... for which I have no answer other than that I would care because I write them, heh.

5u3 (196) on 5/10/2006 11:39 AM · Permalink · Report

02 out of 02 people found this suggestion useful.

Zovni (10504) on 6/4/2006 4:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Dude! Completely OT, but isn't your avatar from the System Shock intro? waaaHooo! saving now!

Luis Silva (13443) on 5/10/2006 5:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

03 out of 03, mind. Unless they are used by moderators to check if a review is over or under rated, it looks a bit pointless. I don't even know how many people have read my reviews, for instance.

Riamus (8480) on 5/10/2006 9:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Currently all that rating is for is to move reviews up or down on the list so that the "best" review is on top as most people won't read through all the reviews, but only the first couple. Not sure if it will change.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 5/11/2006 12:24 AM · Permalink · Report

04 out of 04 people found this suggestion helpful. however I will sya that will make many people annyoed when no one votes for thier review, it will seem more like a competion than you review.

Riamus (8480) on 5/11/2006 1:05 PM · Permalink · Report

You do understand that those ratings are almost always skewed really bad in favor of the author, right? Consider that anyone who doesn't like it usually won't bother to mark it that way... unless it was REALLY bad. Yet, people who do like it are more likely to mark it. So it is not accurate anyhow.

Look at your "finding suggestion useful" thing you're doing here. I'd say that it wasn't, but I didn't "mark" that because it wasn't worth doing, imho. :)

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 5/11/2006 3:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Hahahaha, good point there.

Now that I think about you're right. People are more likely to mark it if they like it, and not if they dont like it. Also, name does play a huge role in it.

Plus my guy feeling just tells me that it will turn into a contest of who has the most votes or something, and we dont need that.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 5/11/2006 3:48 PM · Permalink · Report

I think I have rated far more reviews as not helpful than helpful. I also think this could become some kind of contest and some people would probably mark well written reviews as not helpful simply because they don't mirror their opinion.

And Riamus, you said earlier that reviews with the most "helpful" ratings are moved to the top. Are you sure about this? Seems to me that the most recently written reviews always stay on top. Or does this only show that not many people bother with rating reviews.

Riamus (8480) on 5/11/2006 4:38 PM · Permalink · Report

It shows that not many are rating them. And, yes, I am almost positive that it works like that. I am sure I've seen it mentioned various times on the Approver's forums.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 5/11/2006 4:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Okay, thanks.

Corn Popper (69027) on 5/15/2006 7:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Actually the system is currently collecting the data on this but is not actually doing anything with it. In the next release it should work to move reviews up and down.

What do you guys think of an option for a person to submit comments about the review to the reviewer through PM?

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 5/15/2006 10:39 AM · Permalink · Report

OOOOOOhhhhhh. Now that sounds interesting. That would be a great way to review games. Nothing like a little feedback from readers not to mention that it really expands upon the "fair rating" system. People who don't like your review can give a rebuttal to why they thought it was unfair.

Then again. Also some problems are if a game is really really really popular, like say, Deus Ex, and when a person puts a negative review on it, a bunch of fanboys might put the review down, you know what I mean?

Corn Popper (69027) on 5/16/2006 6:34 AM · Permalink · Report

yean but who cares, it would only be in PM between you and them

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/18/2006 4:18 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]What do you guys think of an option for a person to submit comments about the review to the reviewer through PM? [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

Personally, I'm all for it. I'm really interested to know what people think about the way I write reviews, as I'm never convinced with them myself.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/20/2006 4:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Personally a "favorite reviews" section on your personal rapsheet is where I'd put my money on.

MDMaster (164) on 5/31/2006 5:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Weird, I just posted my first 'not helpful' comment on a review on a Redneck Rampage review today and was just wondering what did I do exactly :) Anyway more interaction between reader and reviewer would definitely look good.

Michael B (303) on 6/3/2006 4:18 PM · Permalink · Report

The meaning of this "did you find this review helpful"-system is probably to see how good a review really is. I think that if this system didn't exist then it would have been pointless writing reviews.

Corn Popper (69027) on 6/3/2006 7:06 PM · Permalink · Report

is for a feature that will be turned on later

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 6/3/2006 11:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well thats one mystery solved, thanks for that.

Anyway, I do recieve feedback from my reviews, since my reviews can get outrageously long, I get some feedback from the approvers, and also whenever I read an exceptionally good review, I always write a e-mail to the person saying what a good job he did. So mainly a lot of people get feedback from me.

But seriously, it would be good if people had some interaction between reader and reviewer. I would personally like a reader ticker on the page to see how many people read that review, would be nice to see how many people take the time to read them.

Shoddyan (15004) on 6/4/2006 7:05 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--] But seriously, it would be good if people had some interaction between reader and reviewer. I would personally like a reader ticker on the page to see how many people read that review, would be nice to see how many people take the time to read them. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

Maybe at the very least we could add a "send an IM" button or link next to the person's name at the top or bottom of the review.

I've gotten feedback from a few users regarding reviews I've written (not many), but it doesn't happen often.

Corn Popper (69027) on 6/4/2006 2:43 PM · Permalink · Report

I said this in a reply over 2 weeks ago already.

Indra was here (20755) on 6/5/2006 6:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Well thats one mystery solved, thanks for that.

Anyway, I do recieve feedback from my reviews, since my reviews can get outrageously long[/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

Seriously, am I the only dude who has a problem with Shadow of the Colossus? My review is 1 against 4 reviews supporting da game.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 6/5/2006 9:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Inderanta, did you play until thevery end of the game? After about Colossus 13, the story picks up, in fact, almost all of the story happens at the end of the game, which explains everything. Also, theres a lot of reading in between the lines needing to be done, everytrinh is supposed to be realistic. It tells the story more through actions than it does words. I mean, in real life, people dont go off monologing to themselves over whats happening, so you sorta supposed to find it out through the mood/setting/events going on. Also, the acting comes at the very end.

Though I do agree with you on one thing, there really is no story up into the 13th Colossus. The game leaves in the dark until the end.

Shoddyan (15004) on 6/5/2006 11:25 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--] mean, in real life, people dont go off monologing to themselves over whats happening, so you sorta supposed to find it out through the mood/setting/events going on. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

Real Life. Which happens to Involve some Colossus. If only my life were so interesting :)

heh, sorry... just reading that made me grin stupidly.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 6/6/2006 2:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm not interested in Shadow of the Colossus. The very concept sounds boring to me. I kind of liked ICO, but not enough to support the kind of gaming monotony it was representing. Although I might be wrong, of course, since I haven't actually played the game.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 6/6/2006 7:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Its not monotonous, I dont think, though some would argue. Its a zen-like game, a lot of it is the atmosphere of the game that gives it most of its support, muhc like ICO. It lacks a lot of action besdies the Colossus battles, which are a lot of fun though, dont know why some people thought they were boring :-P.