🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > need more source locations

nullnullnull (1463) on 8/31/2006 2:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

What countries are the following in? These are print magazines that I am not familar with.

Your Spectrum
Zero
Zzap!
Crash!
Electronic Entertainment
ST/Amiga Format
ST-Computer
ST Format
Power Play
Pocket Games

Also these site do not list their country of origin and they shield their domain registration.

http://www.vgcore.com/
http://www.worthplaying.com/
http://www.macgamer.com/
http://www.macledge.com/ ( same site as above )
http://www.mygamer.com/
http://www.gamershell.com/
http://www.imgmagazine.com/

Which brings me to the conclusion that these media outlets are shady as hell. I mean WTF?!? Why would you not publish a physical address and shield your domain? Unless the website is fly by night and the owner cannot risk their personal assets so maybe a degree of privacy provides some protection or they are doing questionable stuff and hope anonymity will help them in some way. Heck we tell you who we are, where we are and how to contact us by email, phone and mail. We also go so far as to tell you how we are incorporated. This appears not to be the norm among many many website. In researching country of origin for MobyRank sources I would say 1 in 10 would publish a physical address and another 1 in 10 would go to great lengths to hide its information.

As alway any help would be appreciated.

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/31/2006 2:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Your Spectrum UK
Zero UK
Zzap! UK
Crash! UK
ST/Amiga Format UK
ST-Computer Germany
ST Format UK
Power Play Germany

nullnullnull (1463) on 8/31/2006 3:17 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Iggy Drougge wrote--]Your Spectrum UK
Zero UK
Zzap! UK
Crash! UK
ST/Amiga Format UK
ST-Computer Germany
ST Format UK
Power Play Germany
[/Q --end Iggy Drougge wrote--]

Done.

More

Sinclair User

I am guessing UK.

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/31/2006 3:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--] Sinclair User

I am guessing UK. [/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

Yes.

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/31/2006 3:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--]Also these site do not list their country of origin and they shield their domain registration.

Which brings me to the conclusion that these media outlets are shady as hell. I mean WTF?!? Why would you not publish a physical address and shield your domain? Unless the website is fly by night and the owner cannot risk their personal assets so maybe a degree of privacy provides some protection or they are doing questionable stuff and hope anonymity will help them in some way. Heck we tell you who we are, where we are and how to contact us by email, phone and mail. We also go so far as to tell you how we are incorporated. This appears not to be the norm among many many website. In researching country of origin for MobyRank sources I would say 1 in 10 would publish a physical address and another 1 in 10 would go to great lengths to hide its information.[/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

That's why I don't like to think that we use the WWW as a source for rankings. Those sites are probably perfectly normal sites, it's more a matter of the web not being bound to a physical location, with very low entrance fees and a severe lack of professionalism. I just don't value someone's opinion as a professional unless they are indeed professionals who someone has found it worthwhile to pay money to play games and pay a lot of more money to print that on dead trees and ask people to pay to read that.

nullnullnull (1463) on 8/31/2006 3:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Iggy Drougge wrote--] That's why I don't like to think that we use the WWW as a source for rankings. Those sites are probably perfectly normal sites, it's more a matter of the web not being bound to a physical location, with very low entrance fees and a severe lack of professionalism. I just don't value someone's opinion as a professional unless they are indeed professionals who someone has found it worthwhile to pay money to play games and pay a lot of more money to print that on dead trees and ask people to pay to read that. [/Q --end Iggy Drougge wrote--]

Well I think we may add some human repute weights to the overall factor. Still need to build up data however and see where we are.

Riamus (8480) on 8/31/2006 9:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Just because a site doesn't publish physically, doesn't mean it's not ligitimate or professional. Sure, the reviewers may not have gone to journalism school, but that doesn't mean the reviews are not accurate.

As far as hiding information, people are so caught up in security and privacy these days and worry over whether or not someone might steal their identity, that it's not surprising to see many sites not listing where they are physically located. Even some major online hardware companies don't list that on their websites.

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/31/2006 9:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Riamus wrote--]Just because a site doesn't publish physically, doesn't mean it's not ligitimate or professional. Sure, the reviewers may not have gone to journalism school, but that doesn't mean the reviews are not accurate.[/Q --end Riamus wrote--]

OTOH, the entrance fee is extremely low, so it's difficult to tell the difference between someone's blog (The Game Critic? Sounds like a single man's blog, run out of his bedroom) and one of those so-called professional sites.

It's not so much a matter of having gone to journalist school as a lack of publicistic ambition and professionalism. The fact that it is a very fast medium doesn't make the odds any better, either.

Riamus (8480) on 8/31/2006 9:41 PM · Permalink · Report

That's why the admins approve the sources. They can take the time to decide if the source is acceptable or just a blog or similarly poor quality source.

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/31/2006 10:51 PM · Permalink · Report

When I look at the approvals queue, that's not quite the impression I get.

Riamus (8480) on 8/31/2006 11:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Although it lists both approved and unapproved sources, we cannot approve them (or aren't supposed to) until the sources are approved by the admins. The queues are split so that we don't have to keep escalating everything and so it's easier to get through the queues.

Shoddyan (15003) on 9/1/2006 5:27 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Iggy Drougge wrote--]

OTOH, the entrance fee is extremely low, so it's difficult to tell the difference between someone's blog (The Game Critic? Sounds like a single man's blog, run out of his bedroom) and one of those so-called professional sites. [/Q --end Iggy Drougge wrote--]

Jay Sherman reviewing Halo: "It Stinks!"

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 8/31/2006 4:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Haven't heard about the others, but Zzap! has been around forever. It's one of the early gaming magazines from the heady days when VIC-20 was a viable gaming platform.

http://www.w2s.net/zzap/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzap!64

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/31/2006 5:45 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--]ST/Amiga Format[/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

BTW, all magazines called (Platform) Format are by Future Publishing in the UK. There's been Commodore Format, PC Format, Mac Format, etc.

nullnullnull (1463) on 8/31/2006 7:37 PM · Permalink · Report

more

ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)
Commodore User

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/31/2006 8:30 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--]more

ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)
Commodore User
[/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

United Kingdom and Great Britain respectively.

nullnullnull (1463) on 9/1/2006 2:58 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Iggy Drougge wrote--] United Kingdom and Great Britain respectively. [/Q --end Iggy Drougge wrote--]

We only have the UK in the system. Pretty much the same thing as far as we are concerned?

Игги Друге (46653) on 9/1/2006 3:05 AM · Permalink · Report

As far as I know, it's the same thing.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/1/2006 7:05 AM · Permalink · Report

The problem here is that some sites are comprised of staffers from different countries. Heck, I visit a site that's got Germans and Americans on staff.

Anyway, I did a bit of searching. I found this information on a cached Amazon.com reviewer page. I'd link to it but the URL is really long and I dunno if this forum has something similar to BBCode.

<hr />

Contact Info for xboxcore.com:

Lee Tomko

Kissimmee, FL

US +1 407 846 **** L3e@xb-t.com

<hr />

XBoxCore is a part of VGCore. They had a PS2Core, as well. Lee Tomko was one of the founders, and that info is provided in the "About" page of VGCore.

nullnullnull (1463) on 9/1/2006 2:56 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dave Silva wrote--]The problem here is that some sites are comprised of staffers from different countries. Heck, I visit a site that's got Germans and Americans on staff.

Anyway, I did a bit of searching. I found this information on a cached Amazon.com reviewer page. I'd link to it but the URL is really long and I dunno if this forum has something similar to BBCode.

<hr />

Contact Info for xboxcore.com:

Lee Tomko

Kissimmee, FL

US +1 407 846 **** L3e@xb-t.com

<hr />

XBoxCore is a part of VGCore. They had a PS2Core, as well. Lee Tomko was one of the founders, and that info is provided in the "About" page of VGCore. [/Q --end Dave Silva wrote--]

I'll call that us.

Shoddyan (15003) on 9/1/2006 5:30 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dave Silva wrote--] Anyway, I did a bit of searching. I found this information on a cached Amazon.com reviewer page. I'd link to it but the URL is really long and I dunno if this forum has something similar to BBCode. [/Q --end Dave Silva wrote--]

The forums support standard HTML. So to do a link you can use
< a href="http://www.reallylonglink.com">Click this Link < /a>
to show up as
Click this Link

Remove the extra space at the beginning of those codes.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/2/2006 2:38 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey man, I wanted to ask... do you have any scores from Incite PC Gaming/Video Gaming? They were a short lived US-based magazine that lasted like five or six issues (both of 'em) before they simply vanished. I remembered that I have the entire run for these magazines, and I -may- be able to contribute the scores they have. If any. I just need to find the books.

(And a funny thing, the first issues talk about the wonderful game that's coming to PCs in 2000... Halo.)

Игги Друге (46653) on 9/2/2006 3:58 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dave Silva wrote--]Hey man, I wanted to ask... do you have any scores from Incite PC Gaming/Video Gaming? [/Q --end Dave Silva wrote--]

Wasn't this published in Sweden?

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/2/2006 4:08 AM · Permalink · Report

US, I had or maybe have a couple issues.

Игги Друге (46653) on 9/2/2006 5:27 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I googled, and indeed there was a short-lived Swedish publication by the same name. I think I saw some issues in a used book shop a few days ago.

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 9/2/2006 6:06 AM · Permalink · Report

I have an actual issue of Incite PC Gaming here. According to the info given, it was published by Comptec Media USA, headquartered in San Francisco.