Forums > MobyGames > Game Giveaway

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/16/2006 2:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've had very little responses to anyone wanting to get a free game, why is that? What can I do to give you a free game?

I updated some of the info on the game giveaway page, especially applying to non-US people wanting to get in on this.

monkeyislandgirl (8627) on 9/16/2006 2:59 PM · Permalink · Report

To anyone's who interested...Here are some of the games you can get...and all you have to do...is ask...Pretty damn good deal if u ask me...

• Saint Row (Xbox Only)
  • Okami
  • Enchanted Arms (Xbox only)
  • Yakusa
  • Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
  • For more info read about the giveaway here

chirinea (47496) on 9/16/2006 3:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, I've already bugged you about my request, hehe. The hard part is to find a game which isn't already in our database, even more if you're searching for a PC game.

Игги Друге (46653) on 9/16/2006 5:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Huh? I have no problem finding games not on Mobygames, quite the opposite. Why, until this week, we didn't even have Gulkave or Xyphoes Fantasy.

chirinea (47496) on 9/16/2006 10:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Of course there is a lot of games not on the database. But searching among the cheapest at Amazon I had a hard time finding one.

Игги Друге (46653) on 9/16/2006 11:14 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't see any Sapo Xule games on Mobygames... (hint hint nudge nudge)

chirinea (47496) on 9/20/2006 3:47 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Can't you just wait a little, Iggy? =) I'm about to submit those, actually I already have screenshots and all, it is just that I'm lazy about writing descriptions...

And by the way, I would love to gain any of those Brazilian games, but would be asking too much, don't you think?

Foxhack (32100) on 9/20/2006 4:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Do those Sapo Xule games even have credits?

I mean, I played 'em for a bit and they seemed like nothing but hacks of existing games... like most if not all of TecToy's releases.

chirinea (47496) on 9/20/2006 5:42 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Easy Kistsune! There are some 100% Tec Toy productions out there, just waiting to be added (most probably by me, anyway). Of course the Sapo Xulé games are hacks, as well as the Mônica games and that Chapolim game. BUT, as in the Mônica games, for instance, you have great Brazilians behind it, like Maurício de Souza, creator of Mônica's Gang (which is, by the way, a great infantile comic book series). As for the 100% Tec Toy productions, you have Sítio do Pica-Pau Amarelo, a game on some great books by Monteiro Lobato, a Brazilian writer.

I know I can't be much proud of the Brazilian gaming scene, but I really think Tec Toy did a great job at their time.

Shoddyan (15002) on 9/16/2006 5:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]Well, I've already bugged you about my request, hehe. The hard part is to find a game which isn't already in our database, even more if you're searching for a PC game. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

I have a whole list of games I know aren't in the database. Unfortunately, unless the title's in my home where I can play it... the only infomation I have is a title and what I can dig up from other websites. But yeah, most are obscure or overlooked titles but there are a few surprising gaps in what hasn't been added by anyone to the DB.

Luis Silva (13443) on 9/16/2006 4:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, I could help filling gaps with the Football/Soccer and "olympic" genres, but I doubt amazon has anything in stock I don't have or could run. I do have a list of games that are escaping from me, 'to.

Indra was here (20756) on 9/16/2006 5:59 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Oddly enough, seeing that the Game Giveaway was the reason I started my relationship with MG, for some odd reason, that doesn't interest me anymore. Must be an aging thing. Though seriously wonder why now...

Must be the essense of a relationship...where you stop asking and start giving. Now I feel really wierd...

(ahh, too sentimental, must find remote control, must switch to sports channel...)

Riamus (8480) on 9/16/2006 7:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd do it, but I can only do PC games and those are always already in the database. If there was a way for you to offer a better selection of PC games that changes each week/month (that site's list stays pretty much the same for PC), then it would be great. I'll gladly take PC games and add them to the database if you want to send any my way. But I never enter because there aren't any real choices for PC on that site.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/16/2006 8:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, in my case, it's because I don't own those consoles! :)

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 9/16/2006 9:23 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd love to help out, but I currently lack a video card that can take shots like you need. My laptop has S-Video, but it seems to be out only, and my desktop capture card doesn't seem to work under XP.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 9/16/2006 10:29 PM · Permalink · Report

I get free games but I do not take screesnhots for the games, but I do everything else for the site that I can. I think credits is actually most important to the site.

Игги Друге (46653) on 9/16/2006 11:15 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]I think credits is actually most important to the site. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

Credits are actually the most important. The sad thing is that you have to add the game before you can add the credits.

Shoddyan (15002) on 9/16/2006 11:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Iggy Drougge wrote--] [Q2 --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]I think credits is actually most important to the site. [/Q2 --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

Credits are actually the most important. The sad thing is that you have to add the game before you can add the credits. [/Q --end Iggy Drougge wrote--]

Yeah but you can "pre-type" them out so that entering is a matter of copy & paste once the game is approved :) I like to do the following in a simple plain text file:

Programming
    Joe Blow, Sarah Blow, John Doe
    Acting
    Timmothy Incognito ("as the shrew"), Joe Blow, John Rhys-Davies
    Graphics
    Sarah Blow
    ...(etc)

If I have it all ready to go in a format that I can cut & paste into the engine quickly... it becomes much faster to submit credits. There, that's my tip for the day ;)

Ben K (23952) on 9/16/2006 11:23 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yes. Yes. That really, REALLY helps. I've started doing that recently, and it's made adding credits a HELL of a lot easier than it was previously. Especially with those crazy titles like "Senior Vice President of Disney Doodads" and other titles that are longer than the actual person's name.

Also, I'd love to do Okami, and I've sent off an email to the appropriate people detailing this. I'm all set up for screenshot capture, too.

nullnullnull (1463) on 9/19/2006 3:44 AM · Permalink · Report

Well screenshots on consoles are becoming increasingly important as well. I think MG is lacking in the dept on the console side of things if you ask me.

Also I recently got a scanner with decent ocr software. Provided the credits are not printed in a funky font or with a noisy background it is nearly 100%. Of course we are having Ron our intern/writer do a lot of credits n stuff. Also we hit a Gamestop and bought 30 games for $200 bucks from the bargain bin. All console games and all missing major stuff from MobyGames. Probably going to do another bargain bin run and build up the Official MobyGames Game LIbrary of crappy games. I mean how much can you write about another NCAA football game.

Shoddyan (15002) on 9/19/2006 5:38 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--] Also we hit a Gamestop and bought 30 games for $200 bucks from the bargain bin. All console games and all missing major stuff from MobyGames. Probably going to do another bargain bin run and build up the Official MobyGames Game LIbrary of crappy games. I mean how much can you write about another NCAA football game. [/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

I'm even cheaper and I routinely scour the bargin bins at some rather odd places including pawn shops and clearence centres. It's actually a bad habit of mine, because the majority of games I walk home with simply aren't that good. Every once in awhile I find myself a real gem underpriced however. Other times... well, mere sports titles do not compare to the horror that is Expect No Mercy for instance (a fighting game based off a cable tv B-movie starring Billy Blanks). Lately I seem to have been walking off with a bunch of budget cd-roms marked for distribution only in canada.

I'll get worried when I find I can't afford to travel to one of our nice sponsored conferences because I've spent all my money on silly obscure games. :)

Foxhack (32100) on 9/20/2006 3:35 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--] [Q2 --start flipkin wrote--] Also we hit a Gamestop and bought 30 games for $200 bucks from the bargain bin. All console games and all missing major stuff from MobyGames. Probably going to do another bargain bin run and build up the Official MobyGames Game LIbrary of crappy games. I mean how much can you write about another NCAA football game. [/Q2 --end flipkin wrote--]

I'm even cheaper and I routinely scour the bargin bins at some rather odd places including pawn shops and clearence centres. It's actually a bad habit of mine, because the majority of games I walk home with simply aren't that good. Every once in awhile I find myself a real gem underpriced however. Other times... well, mere sports titles do not compare to the horror that is Expect No Mercy for instance (a fighting game based off a cable tv B-movie starring Billy Blanks). Lately I seem to have been walking off with a bunch of budget cd-roms marked for distribution only in canada.

I'll get worried when I find I can't afford to travel to one of our nice sponsored conferences because I've spent all my money on silly obscure games. :) [/Q --end WildKard wrote--]

Hahaha, dude, I'm just the same! I buy a lot of random CDs and games for my eBay thing, then it turns out they're unsellable. I have tons of boxes with random crap that is just taking space in a box somewhere. :P

But I have a special place in my heart for crappy games... and Expect No Mercy seems like a winner in my eyes. I wish I could find it. :D

PolloDiablo (16853) on 9/22/2006 8:03 AM · Permalink · Report

I hadn't noticed the info had changed, so far it was US-only. As soon as I have cleared up some of the items in the Most Wanted! list, I will start writing some reviews so you guys can judge their quality. ;) That'll take me a few months though, so don't hold your breath.