🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Game Group: Monkey king

Игги Друге (46653) on 9/27/2006 11:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I was looking up Donkey Kong, when I instead found "Monkey King". For those that don't know, it's the most classic of all classic Chinese vulgar literature, and has formed the basis of countless works until our days, most notably the Dragon Ball comic. I think this tale is also known as "Journey to the west" or 西遊記 for those who know Chinese characters. Any thoughts, and what should be added?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/28/2006 2:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Yep, the monkey Sun Wukong from "Journey to the West" is a cult figure in China and Eastern Asia in general. I would definitely add a game group named "Xi You Ji inspired games". We already have "Shuihuzhuan inspired games", and "Sanguo Yanyi inspired games", also named after famous classic Chinese novels.

I'd suggest the following description for the group: "Games based on, or inspired by the classic Chinese novel "Xi You Ji" ("Journey to the West", also known as "Monkey"), written in 16th century by Wu Cheng'en".

All Dragon Ball games should go into this group, as you correctly noted.

Do you want to make the group yourself or should I make it?

Shoddyan (15003) on 9/28/2006 4:44 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--] All Dragon Ball games should go into this group, as you correctly noted. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

Even the ones without a monkey boy?

Some other titles would be Monkey Hero , uh... I've forgotten all the others. Nevermind.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/28/2006 5:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Son Goku is the monkey boy. His name is the Japanese pronunciation of Sun Wukong. The search for magic dragon jewels is also a reference to the book. And the pig character, whose prototype is Zhu Ba Jie. And a lot of other smaller references...

Not sure Monkey Hero is influenced by the novel, though...

Shoddyan (15003) on 9/28/2006 10:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Okay, Unicorn-Lynx made up this group last night. People can begin adding crazy monkey-like people into it, revise the description and forward the group URL around to friends.

The Xi You Ji Inspired Games is here.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/28/2006 6:08 AM · Permalink · Report

In my opinion, these games should be in that list:

• Sonson 1 (NES) and 2 (TG16) (apparently not on the database yet...)
  • Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (contains the character SonSon, the daughter of the main character from the first game on the list)
  • World Heroes Perfect (NeoGeo, currently not on the database. It contains a hidden character heavily based upon the original story's protagonist. I'm not sure if this got a home release, though.)
  • Ragnagard / Shin-Oh-Ken (NeoGeo, features a character named SonGokuu, which is basically the monkey king, except he seems 100% human. Currently not on the database, unsure of if it got a home release.)

Foxhack (32100) on 9/28/2006 6:15 AM · Permalink · Report

And how could we forget Monkey Magic?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/28/2006 8:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Great, now we have a substantial amount of games to add to the new group. Do you think you could add those undocumented games to the database?

Foxhack (32100) on 9/28/2006 2:39 PM · Permalink · Report

I can probably make the Sonson 1 entry. Part two's gonna be a pain because TG16 emulators hate me.

I also need to find out if Ragnagard and World Heroes Perfect got home releases. That'll take me a little while.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/28/2006 9:57 PM · Permalink · Report

SonSon submitted to the database. There's a ton of more stuff to add in regards to the game, but I'll wait until the game is approved.

Shoddyan (15003) on 9/28/2006 6:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Don't think that Marvel VS Capcom 2 belongs in that group. Nor would it belong to the series from which most of it's characters come from. (e.g. Megaman Series, Resident Evil Series, Darkstalkers Series...)

Foxhack (32100) on 9/28/2006 7:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--]Don't think that Marvel VS Capcom 2 belongs in that group. Nor would it belong to the series from which most of it's characters come from. (e.g. Megaman Series, Resident Evil Series, Darkstalkers Series...) [/Q --end WildKard wrote--] If MvsC2 isn't in the group, then neither should the NeoGeo ones. They have characters inspired by the Monkey King, but just that. :\

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/29/2006 3:58 AM · Permalink · Report

But that's different. Here we aren't talking about series, but about games which are inspired by a novel. If there is a character in the game who is derived from there, then the game can be included, IMHO.

But be careful and don't include every game with a monkey protagonist in this group! Not all the monkeys are descendants of Sun Wukong... no matter what the Chinese say :)

Shoddyan (15003) on 9/29/2006 4:21 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]But that's different. Here we aren't talking about series, but about games which are inspired by a novel. If there is a character in the game who is derived from there, then the game can be included, IMHO.

But be careful and don't include every game with a monkey protagonist in this group! Not all the monkeys are descendants of Sun Wukong... no matter what the Chinese say :) [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

I would argue that the game Son Son is inspired by the novel, but the game Marvel Vs Capcom 2 is inspired by getting as much of Capcom & Marvel's intellectual property together as the storage unit will allow :)