Forums > MobyGames > MobyGames being really...REALLY slow?

kvn8907 (173) on 2/25/2008 2:33 AM · Permalink · Report

Is it just me, or has MobyGames been really slow lately? Actually, just getting to this screen to post took me nearly a half hour. It took about 5 minutes for each page to load getting here. On the main page, often the top banner loads nearly immediately, but that's all that loads, and the rest of the page stays blank for a really long time.

Has anyone else experienced such a severe slowdown? Does anyone know why MobyGames has been so slow lately?

chirinea (47495) on 2/25/2008 3:11 AM · Permalink · Report

Read this.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 2/25/2008 7:37 AM · Permalink · Report

It might be worth our while to put something about this on the frontpage, where people don't have to spend a half-hour waiting to find out about it. News, perhaps?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 2/25/2008 9:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey, I tried to make a newspost (no button? darn, I'll have to hack some URLs) but to no avail. If anyone wants to take on the feat of explaining this sloth to the masses, please feel free.

Sciere (930488) on 2/25/2008 9:43 PM · Permalink · Report

It's visible in the left column =)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 2/25/2008 11:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Now why would I look in the sidebar to make a post to a forum?

Well, here's what I submitted:

Some of our regulars have noticed things bogging down recently when attempting to load any pages from our server. Word from up high suggests there's a problem with our ad server slowing things down to roughly the speed of molasses.

This is the future. Clearly we shouldn't have to go make a sandwich and a cup of coffee while waiting for a website to load anymore! One workaround is to disable the ads from your user preferences (that's "prefs" in the top right, for those of you with user accounts) if you have a sufficiently high contribution ranking (125 points within the last year). That's a carrot for our regular contributors that many folks may not even be aware of!

Alternately, another temporary solution is to install the AdBlock and FlashBlock extensions for your Firefox web browser to temporarily disable the ads on your end until we get this problem nipped in the bud. We know you understand that the upkeep of this site is primarily made possible through the generosity of our advertisers, so once the crutches are off, we fully expect you to re-enable the ads. Come on -- we're a game site, they're ads... it's a good fit!

But suppose you're an Internet Explorer user with no account or fewer than 125 submission points in the past year? I'm afraid it looks like you're out of luck for the time being. If it helps, we hope to address this problem in an expedient fashion! Spend a week researching games on Wikipedia and come back filled with a new appreciation for the work we do here 8)

Игги Друге (46653) on 2/26/2008 12:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Why do you hate Wikipedia so much?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 2/26/2008 1:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Wikipedia killed my dog.

Black_Rose (33) on 2/26/2008 7:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Killed your dog? Wikipedia's a good site for me, I go to the site most often after being here at MobyGames.

chirinea (47495) on 2/26/2008 8:21 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Black Rose wrote--]Killed your dog? Wikipedia's a good site for me, I go to the site most often after being here at MobyGames. [/Q --end Black Rose wrote--] Well, wait and see when they kill your dog too.

DJP Mom (11333) on 2/25/2008 6:26 AM · Permalink · Report

23 more points and you can turn off banner ads in prefs - I'd suggest breaking out your favorite game and taking a dozen screenshots :-)

Corey Powers on 2/26/2008 7:37 PM · Permalink · Report

lol! it took me half a hour just 2 get loged on