🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > educational virtual platform with strange name

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/18/2008 7:59 PM · Permalink · Report

"VLE / SCORM" -- anybody know anything about these? Acronyms for Virtual Learning Environment and Sharable Content Object Reference Model.

I found VLE defined somewhere as "a standardised, computer-based environment that supports the delivery of web-based online learning" ... this format appears (in my extremely limited experience) to arrive as XML with some Javascript, making it a kind of ... standardized web browser (cross-)platform with basic lowest common denominator hardware requirements for multimedia performance?

mobiusclimber (235) on 11/18/2008 8:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Why didn't they just call it ViLE?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/18/2008 8:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Educational software has enough strikes against it off the bat without needing to feed the stereotypes further 8)

Here are some VLE names: Moodle, Kaleidos, FrogTeacher, Sharepoint, Fronter, Studywiz, Assimilate, Fronter, Learnwise, Serco Teknical, Sharepoint, Studywiz, Talmos Britannica, Uniservity, Viglen It's Learning...

this fragmentation doesn't bode well for its standardization 8)

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/18/2008 8:26 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Moodle [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

We use Moodle at my university for organizing the material and tracking the courses the students are taking. I use it all the time. It's quite nice and very convenient but I am under impression that we're using only a fracture of its features, so I can't really comment on its success as an e-learning platform. Technically, we use it only as an extension of our real life studies.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/18/2008 8:48 PM · Permalink · Report

I can't really comment on its success as an e-learning platform.

Can you comment on its status as a platform for our purposes here? 8)

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/18/2008 9:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Can you comment on its status as a platform for our purposes here? 8) [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

I am not sure I understand what you have in mind. VLEs are developed to make online interactions between teachers and learners more efficient. I am not sure how these tools can be either of use or of value to the videogame database.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/18/2008 9:19 PM · Permalink · Report

I came upon them while researching a couple of educational games, boasting releases for Windows, Macintosh, and VLE / SCORM. Thinking to myself "could that really be a comparable platform? Somehow, I doubt it" I decided to take it to the masses.

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/18/2008 10:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah, I see now. Sure I can imagine educational games being integrated into VLE software via plugins. But I think what you are suggesting is akin to trying to document an easter egg game in the word processor by introducing the latter as a platform.

However, after looking around the net, I don't think that Browser (even though Browser isn't really such a comparable platform either) would cover all of those, since VLE client can be of any kind. They even appear to have extensions in Second Life! Now, that's a mind bender! How to document a game which is hosted by a virtual branch of a certain VLE in an already documented game, which appears to be more of a social networking service?

So, I am really at loss as to how document those. Perhaps, using a platform which the host VLE client uses and mentioning the bond in the description? But, of course, I am really talking out of my ass here. I have a very limited experience with VLE/SCORM, and I am yet to see any games there.

beetle120 (2415) on 11/18/2008 10:19 PM · Permalink · Report

I work in that industry and I work a lot with making SCORM compliant e-learning modules (not games unfortunately). SCORM works with a LMS (Learning Management System) and it is just a standardized way of sending the score with in a quiz or a game back to the LMS for globally scoring across all modules (or games). It is needed as there are many different companies that we work for and so it makes a standard way of sending information to them. Never heard of VLE but I assume that is the same as LMS. It is coded in Javascript and the data is sent via XML.

Sciere (930490) on 11/19/2008 12:20 AM · Permalink · Report

We really are the community that knows everything about anything.

Big John WV (26954) on 11/18/2008 11:47 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start mobiusclimber wrote--]Why didn't they just call it ViLE? [/Q --end mobiusclimber wrote--]

Sounds like something out of a James Bond movie, LOL.

Alaka (106107) on 11/19/2008 1:00 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Big John WV wrote--] [Q2 --start mobiusclimber wrote--]Why didn't they just call it ViLE? [/Q2 --end mobiusclimber wrote--]

Sounds like something out of a James Bond movie, LOL. [/Q --end Big John WV wrote--]

or a Carmen Sandiego game.