🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > New game group: Super Mario series

The cranky hermit (2926) on 12/12/2008 3:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Another game group suggestion sent back to me.

(original text)

I have a game group suggestion: Super Mario Series. The main difference between this and the existing "Mario Licensees" group is that it excludes the dozens and dozens of spinoff and spinoff series. The group description would be:

Nintendo-licensed platform games featuring Mario as the main character.

(/original text)

Basically, I think there should be a game group that includes Super Mario Bros. and all the games that are clearly direct sequels to it, like SMB3 and SMW, but excludes all the games that clearly are not, like the Mario Kart and Mario Party games. You could say Super Mario series is to Mario licensees as Ultima series is to Ultima universe.

Here's what I would put into the group myself:

Super Mario Bros. (1985)

Super Mario Bros. 2J (1986)

Super Mario Bros. 2US (1988)

Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)

Super Mario Land (1989)

Super Mario World (1990)

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992)

Super Mario 64 (1996)

Super Mario Sunshine (2002)

New Super Mario Bros. (2006)

Super Mario Galaxy (2007)

...and any of the nine jillion GBC/GBA/DS versions of any of these games that I didn't feel like listing.

Alaka (106097) on 12/12/2008 8:18 AM · Permalink · Report

Would Super Paper Mario fit into this group? According to wikipedia it contains a combination of the previous Paper Mario titles and Super Mario Bros. titles. How about the original Mario Bros? Is the only thing holding this group together is that the game has Super Mario in the title?

Foxhack (32100) on 12/12/2008 8:31 AM · Permalink · Report

The only games that should be on the group are:

Super Mario 1, 2, 3, New, and the remakes of the original 3. That's the core Super Mario Bros. series, the rest can be considered spinoffs.

Alaka (106097) on 12/12/2008 4:50 PM · Permalink · Report

But why are the rest considered spinoffs? I mean if you are going by different gamplay standards, SMB 2 (US) shouldn't really be included because it's nothing like the core series except for the characters it uses.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 12/12/2008 6:18 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kit Silva wrote--]The only games that should be on the group are:

Super Mario 1, 2, 3, New, and the remakes of the original 3. That's the core Super Mario Bros. series, the rest can be considered spinoffs. [/Q --end Kit Silva wrote--] And I swear I've seen Super Mario Bros. 4 written on the Jap. cover of Super Mario World. But who needs that nonsense anway, it's a Mario licensees game group with the word "Super" tacked on. Great. What about browsing the Mario licencees game group for the preferred genres only?

Foxhack (32100) on 12/12/2008 9:38 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start FrakesJoe (NSDSP) wrote--] [Q2 --start Kit Silva wrote--]The only games that should be on the group are:

Super Mario 1, 2, 3, New, and the remakes of the original 3. That's the core Super Mario Bros. series, the rest can be considered spinoffs. [/Q2 --end Kit Silva wrote--] And I swear I've seen Super Mario Bros. 4 written on the Jap. cover of Super Mario World. But who needs that nonsense anway, it's a Mario licensees game group with the word "Super" tacked on. Great. What about browsing the Mario licencees game group for the preferred genres only? [/Q --end FrakesJoe (NSDSP) wrote--]No, you're right, SMW/SMW4 should be added to this new group.

I had no idea that the game was SMB4 in Japan.

Mr Almond (2485) on 12/12/2008 10:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Let's stir things up a bit,

Mario Bros Punch Ball (1984) Mario Bros Special (1984) Super Mario Bros Special (1985)

Released for NEC PC-8801

Mario Clash (1995) for Virtual Boy

Depeche Mike (17455) on 12/12/2008 10:35 PM · Permalink · Report

If anything it should be a group for Super Mario Platform games.

Mr Almond (2485) on 12/12/2008 10:52 PM · Permalink · Report

So would this include educational games such as Mario is Missing and Mario's Time Machine? Also, Paper Mario was mentioned earlier. How about Mario RPG?

Foxhack (32100) on 12/12/2008 11:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ShabbyPie wrote--]Released for NEC PC-8801[/Q --end ShabbyPie wrote--]We don't cover the PC-88. :p

Also, Mario Clash is more of a... Mario Bros. spiritual sequel, isn't it?

The cranky hermit (2926) on 12/14/2008 1:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

(my quotes aren't working and I don't know why)

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--]Would Super Paper Mario fit into this group?[/Q --end ALAKA wrote--] I haven't played it. From what I've heard, it's not really thought of as a sequel to any SMB game, so my gut says no.

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--]How about the original Mario Bros?[/Q --end ALAKA wrote--] Sure, I could see that. The "Ultima series" group has room for Akalabeth, so it would be consistent to include Mario Bros. in a "Super Mario series."

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--]But why are the rest considered spinoffs?[/Q --end ALAKA wrote--] Probably because they are not platform games. It's hard to think of a go-kart racing game as being a true sequel to a platform game.

[Q --start ShabbyPie wrote--] Mario Bros Punch Ball (1984) Mario Bros Special (1984) Super Mario Bros Special (1985) Mario Clash (1995) for Virtual Boy [/Q --end ShabbyPie wrote--] I don't think so. The point of the group is to focus on the series of platformers that SMB kicked off, and those would just dilute this focus.

[Q --start ShabbyPie wrote--]So would this include educational games such as Mario is Missing and Mario's Time Machine? Also, Paper Mario was mentioned earlier. How about Mario RPG?[/Q --end ShabbyPie wrote--] These are not platform games.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 12/14/2008 3:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Ahh, me stupido. I wasn't aware that you can't browse groups for genres. Awesome! So...
a) Mario licensees group, subgroup platformers (including Yoshi/Peach/Wario games)
b) (Super) Mario platformers only (per title)