🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Game Collections.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/1/2009 8:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

For lots of reasons, I've gotten rid of a pretty big chunk of my collection and I'm considering getting rid of more. I plan on trading away classics like Flashback, Out of This World, Fade to Black, Sonic 2, Super Return of the Jedi, and more than I can remember at the moment. I've even considered giving my NES or GEN away. One part of me thinks that it's not good to hold on to so much stuff I'll never have time for, and I should stick to only the stuff I like regarless of how good the stuff I'm giving away is. The other side is screaming out, "YOU IDIOT ! THEY'LL BE WORTH A FORTUNE SOMEDAY !!!".

I think I'm just trying to sort out the part of me that says material things are just that, and no more, and the side that says hold on to everything. Am I just crazy ? The question I suppose I'm asking is, how many of you have gotten rid of large chunks of your collection lately ?

jlebel (2190) on 3/1/2009 9:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Haven't got rid of any parts of my game collection recently, but I struggle with the same duality of materialism vs the desire of being untethered from the things I own (it is said they end up owning you). Collecting is something that I inherited from my dad. Giving things away is a good way to demonstrate to oneself that objects don't have possession - I've done it occasionally. Five years ago I gave most of my games away to a low-income family I was friends with; they had 3 kids and the intention was the parents periodically give them as gifts to the kids. Anyway, just a thought.

DreinIX (10446) on 3/2/2009 1:03 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] The question I suppose I'm asking is, how many of you have gotten rid of large chunks of your collection lately ? [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Nope. Never. I'm not even getting rid of the dust it gets.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/9/2009 3:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I want to get rid of most of my collection, yet keep adding games to my radar.

Example.

Perhaps I'm just going back to the games I really want to play and forgetting having the most excellent collection ever ? I'm still not sure.

Haoie on 3/2/2009 1:39 AM · Permalink · Report

No getting rid of.

But I haven't gotten many new things in a long time, either.

Donatello (466) on 3/2/2009 3:43 PM · Permalink · Report

My game collection is too small for me to even consider selling some games. Also, I don't buy blindly, I only acquire games which I've completed and really like.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/3/2009 7:29 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]"YOU IDIOT ! THEY'LL BE WORTH A FORTUNE SOMEDAY !!!". [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] You'll get more money stripping on the internet.

Whoops. Wrong website.

Big John WV (26954) on 3/3/2009 9:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I can never get rid of games, I guess I would be considered a pack rat. There are only a few times I have gotten rid of games and it drove me up the wall afterwards.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/4/2009 4:34 AM · Permalink · Report

I've done crazier things, dude. Here is an account of what happened, for example, between me and the game Phantasmagoria:

1) Bought it (for 10 Euros I think) seven-eight years ago or so.

2) Played it, loved it.

3) Played other games, thought I didn't like it any more, sold it.

4) After about a year, realized that I was missing it, bought it again (for 1 Euro, discs only).

5) Gave it away before moving to Shanghai three years ago.

6) Realized I was missing it, ordered a copy on eBay for 20-something bucks.

Bottom line - follow your heart. Like with women :)

Uh... on second thought, maybe just do it with games :)

DreinIX (10446) on 3/4/2009 8:12 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]Bottom line - follow your heart. Like with women :) [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--]

Oooorr... Bottom line - some people never learn. ;-)

My first thought the time you said you got rid of some games was - does he not worry of ever missing them?

PolloDiablo (16852) on 3/11/2009 10:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Not lately, and not voluntarily, but I lost a lot when I moved to another country. We couldn't possibly take all the cardboard boxes so I had to throw some of them away, sold some games and stored the rest at my parent's attic where they unfortunately got a bit wet. Had to throw most of them away too because of mildew...

These past few years I've been trying to slowly buy back what I lost. I've also, back when I just started to collect, traded away some games that I am now very sorry about because they are really hard to get in that particular box or condition. Haven't sold or given away any games in years and not very likely to start doing so in the near future either.