🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Anyone ever hear of the USA Wars series?

Foxhack (32100) on 3/28/2009 6:09 AM · Permalink · Report

I picked up a game called "USA Wars: Desert Storm with Coalition Command" - at least I think it's a game. Amazon.com seems to think it's a book, not a game.

What little I've found on Google... seems to suggest it was a series dealing with, you guessed it, USA Wars. But I'm very confused as to why there's no info on this at all.

So here's the question - has anyone SEEN a game in this series out in the wild? Some guy on eBay says it's super rare and stuff - but this is an eBay seller we're talking about, so.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 3/28/2009 7:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Whether it's in the wild or not, providing you can execute it you should have all you need to document it. Context is nice, admittedly, and it's possible that you have an unofficially released prototype bootleg.

Foxhack (32100) on 3/28/2009 7:26 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, if it's a strategy game then I'm not touching it. :p I'm not even sure this is a game. The case seems to suggest the developer was a company called "DataGame", and the publisher? Compton's New Media. The encyclopedia people.

I'm just trying to figure out what the hell's the deal with this game.

Kabushi (261206) on 3/28/2009 9:37 AM · Permalink · Report

"USA WARS: DESERT STORM WITH COALITION COMMAND (published by Quanta for :D/Mac/Windows at $29.95) "is based on the Joint Chiefs of Staff's 1,000 page Final Report to Congress on the Conduct of the Persian Gulf War. The entire document is reproduced on the disc, along with hundreds of images and sounds. It is searchable by major topic, in the Topic Tree search mode, using chapter titles, or by word or phrase in the Idea Search mode. The image database is browsable through the Picture Tour, or searchable in the Picture Finder mode. Sounds can be searched in the Sound Finder. Text can also be accessed through the Topic Finder, which gives access to subtopics in the Final Report. Text can be copied to the Clipboard. The "edutainmant" game, Coalition Command, is included in the PC & MPC versions. This database is not only a detailed, definitive source for information on the Gulf War, but is the most complete affordable source for information on modern weapons systems available on CD, a poor man's Janes. Over 1000 pictures, plus specs, evaluations, mission, and other details are available on 150 weapons systems that are manufactured and in use world wide, Iraqi Army database and other information on the conflict are crammed onto this disc." (WAE)"

source

Foxhack (32100) on 3/28/2009 2:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Why didn't Google spit out that at me? Ugh.

That said, it's not a game? Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh. I'll open it to make sure and see what's up later today. Thanks.

vedder (70822) on 3/28/2009 2:43 PM · Permalink · Report

In a related question, I found info on a similar media product for the CD-i it's an encyclopaedia on pre 1940 British golfing history (what?). But it comes with a trivia game and a some kind of short one hole golfing game or something. Should I add it to the database as a game?

Foxhack (32100) on 3/28/2009 2:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--]trivia game and a some kind of short one hole golfing game or something.[/Q --end stvedder wrote--]We have educational games that amount to nothing but trivia games. And let's not forget simple Atari games...

In my opinion? IT COUNTS.

Foxhack (32100) on 3/28/2009 9:59 PM · Permalink · Report

So much for that - I'm apparently missing the GAME disk. The disk I got is just a database. :(

There was no game anywhere so I guess I'm stuck with this. :P