🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Might and Magic:Clouds of Xeen

mark evans on 7/20/2009 7:55 PM · Permalink · Report

I bought this game from this second hand store for a dollar. I installed it on my system and it installed just fine. I went to try to run the game and it said I need more extended memory. I have plenty of memory available and i tried to expand virtual memory but that did not work. What exactly do they mean by extended memory?

Xoleras (66141) on 7/20/2009 8:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Extended memory is XMS, it's a DOS technique for memory management.

If you really want to run the game from Windows directly, you can set that in the properties of the EXE somewhere (can't say where, as I'm running a x64 Windows ;)).

But you should really run that stuff via DOSBox, instead on relying on the inferior Windows own emulator.

Yashma on 7/30/2009 2:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Man, all you need to start old games of M&M series is "DosBox" and "VDMSound". Well, and your XP shoud be with SP2 (not really sure, but peeps says that it would be positive). Wouldn't be really difficult... PS: can use soft like CPUKiller to slow down old games ;-)

Xoleras (66141) on 7/30/2009 2:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah sure you can go the difficult way of VDMSound and a CPU throttler to get the game running in the Windows command line interface (CMD). But you still have to fiddle around with EMS/XMS, depending on what's needed and what's configured. :P

But DOSBox is definitely the easier way. ;)

formercontrib (157510) on 7/30/2009 4:02 PM · Permalink · Report

But emulating is for whimps and posers - and remember MANOWAR: They should leave the hall !!! ;) - so i would say - do it my way: Start your DOS machine and do it the easiest of all ways - YIPPIE-YEEEEEEAH :)

Yashma on 7/31/2009 6:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah-yeah. Old good DOS.. Norton Commander, Borlad Pascal, Realms of Arcania, etc... With these words i recall my childhood :D

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/31/2009 4:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start joyvalley wrote--]Start your DOS machine and do it the easiest of all ways [/Q --end joyvalley wrote--]

Which made me realize that I do in fact find DOSBOX easier to use than the actual DOS in its day. The games I couldn't start natively (perhaps out of my own stupidity) are now working perfectly well. And the stuff I can't run in Dosbox were never runnable years ago either.

Yashma on 7/31/2009 6:31 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--][skipped]But you still have to fiddle around with EMS/XMS, depending on what's needed and what's configured. :P [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--] No doubt you should config DosBox, but it's not as hard. Had a few sites for DB config somewhere... need to check them out -)

Elliott Wu (40) on 8/5/2009 8:28 AM · Permalink · Report

man, those were the days... sitting around trying to figure how to properly set up the damn config.sys just so I could make the memory requirements.

Yashma on 8/5/2009 4:33 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Elliott Wu wrote--]man, those were the days... sitting around trying to figure how to properly set up the damn config.sys just so I could make the memory requirements. [/Q --end Elliott Wu wrote--] Agreed. But what a pleasure it was, when you managed to do this... -) Well, okay, most of the time it was terrible, but such "tuning" gave me some knowledges...

Elliott Wu (40) on 8/6/2009 7:10 AM · Permalink · Report

not me. I still couldn't figure out how I managed to get half of my games to work. usually I ended up having to have a like, 4 different disks for 4 different settings.

Yashma on 8/6/2009 5:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Don't worry - same was with me too - plenty of time to "config" favorite game and little chance to launch it without failure. But still, i had a good memories about Dos as a whole.

vedder (70822) on 8/6/2009 5:46 PM · Permalink · Report

In the words of Charles Cecil: That's why adventure games were so popular at the time. Just getting a game to work was already a puzzle in itself!

Yashma on 8/6/2009 7:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--]In the words of Charles Cecil: That's why adventure games were so popular at the time. Just getting a game to work was already a puzzle in itself! [/Q --end stvedder wrote--] True that, and i must say, sometimes that "puzzles" had no solutions at all. Then Windows has come... 3.1, 3.11, "for workgroup", 95, etc.. :D