Forums > Game Talk > Bargain Bins, The Next Generation !!!!!

DJP Mom (11333) on 12/17/2009 1:48 AM · Permalink · Report

The old thread was getting a little unwieldy. I tried to give this new one the authentic DANIEL HAWKS ! look to keep the tradition alive, and I think I've succeeded :)

My library is getting rid of all the PS2 games, $5 each, my son already came home with Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel, Final Fantasy XII, The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, and Tales of the Abyss.

Any requests? (if there are any left tomorrow!)

Foxhack (32102) on 12/17/2009 2:29 AM · Permalink · Report

AGH. No fair. I want to go to your library. T_T

Parf (7873) on 12/17/2009 8:18 AM · Permalink · Report

Wow! Now that is cheap. Any of them not yet in the database? hint hint

Pseudo_Intellectual (66274) on 12/17/2009 9:06 AM · Permalink · Report

What what? In my world, pretty much any PS2 game is worth the $5 price point. I know I've bought a couple of real stinkers at that price just to document.

(This is not to say that I will relieve your library of its entire collection 8)

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 12/17/2009 2:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I will play any poo poo you hand me if its for $5 a pop. God forbid, if you have ANY of the Silent Hill games I would drive myself up there and buy them myself.

Other than that, any Jak and Daxter games in there? I played the first one and never got around to playing the second or third. Also, the Ratchet and Clank series I hear is great as well. Any of those sitting around?

ICO would also be a particularly good find for me (considering it can't be found anywhere besides the internet these days).

I'm just taking shots in the dark here, I don't know what types of games your library normally keeps. If you have a list that would be amazing.

Also, since I'm down in Hoboken I could make a trip up there one day. I'm guessing the trip would only be about an hour.

DJP Mom (11333) on 12/17/2009 10:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Here's the list - I think we have all in the database except the Yu-gi-oh game. (no, have that, too)

NCAA Football 06

And 1 Streetball

AMF Xtreme Bowling

ATV2 Off Road Fury

Burnout Revenge

College Hoops 2K6

Crash of the Titans

Corvette

FIFA Soccer 08

FIFA Soccer 06

Gran Turismo 4

Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire

Legend of Spyro: Eternal Night

Lego Indiana Jones

Lego Star Wars 2

Looney Tunes Acme Arsenal

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction

NCAA Football 06

NHL 2K6

Need for Speed Underground 2

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2

Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild

Spiderman

Starsky & Hutch

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow

Tekken 5

Yu-gi-oh: Duelists of the Roses

I think the best games were taken early :(

Pseudo_Intellectual (66274) on 12/18/2009 6:02 PM · Permalink · Report

I think the best games were taken early :(

Ehh, if I was in the US I'd still mail you $50 and ask you to set aside 10 of those for me (... but not Starsky and Hutch 8)

Foxhack (32102) on 12/18/2009 6:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Actually, Starsky and Hutch is surprisingly decent.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66274) on 12/18/2009 6:46 PM · Permalink · Report

It may be better on the PS2 than it was on the Xbox, where the free price I paid for it was just about what it was worth 8)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93195) on 12/19/2009 6:51 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--]Actually, Starsky and Hutch is surprisingly decent. [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--] All's you need is a Guncon, a racing wheel, and a friend who appreciates flawed games. :) I'd say it's the closest we'll ever get to Lucky & Wild on a home system.

Foxhack (32102) on 12/19/2009 7:59 AM · Permalink · Report

Wait, the thing supports the Guncon?

I wouldn't know - I play the thing alone. T_T

Luis Silva (13444) on 12/25/2009 4:34 AM · Permalink · Report

If I was in the US, I'd probably have a punt (heh) at NCAA Football 06. Overseas shipping and different systems would absolutely kill the deal, 'to.

If you don't have them, both Lego games are quite good, particularly Lego Star Wars 2.

Foxhack (32102) on 12/18/2009 3:45 AM · Permalink · Report

So I just bought this thing off eBay for $5.75 shipped.

Why? Uh. I have no friggin' clue.

On another note, I may be able to score a huge lot of Sega CD and Saturn games for $2/$3 each from a guy I talked to at my usual flea market haunt. Bwahahahahahahaha!

chirinea (47504) on 12/18/2009 1:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, not really a bargain (US$ 159 with a Boomerang included and a free non-related boardgame) and not really something to brag about, but I bought myself a Zeebo. And that for the sole purpose of documenting it here. See, MobyGames, WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!?

Foxhack (32102) on 12/18/2009 5:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]See, MobyGames, WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!? [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]Yeah, well I just got this thing. It's mint.

Goodbye distortion. Hello screenshots.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 12/18/2009 6:59 PM · Permalink · Report

I bought myself a Zeebo

You see, this is something I really dislike about MobyGames: I clicked on your link and saw a list of games for Zeebo. But what IS Zeebo? I have no idea! And I still don't! Sure, it sounds cool. Zeebo, Zeebo... Zeebo, Shmeebo. It sounds like a 24-hours mini-market chain. Or a nickname for a Japanese sumo wrestler. Or an extinct animal. Or an ancient Swahili word for "male genitalia". How in hell should I know? How does it look like? Not even a bloody picture. I hate it.

I think our site should be ashamed of this. Almost every stupid game-documenting site has hardware screenshots and descriptions of platforms. But we don't.

mobygamer (92) on 12/18/2009 8:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]what IS Zeebo? [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] http://lmgtfy.com/?q=zeebo

8)

chirinea (47504) on 12/18/2009 11:25 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]I think our site should be ashamed of this. Almost every stupid game-documenting site has hardware screenshots and descriptions of platforms. But we don't. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Actually there is a hardware section on the works for MobyGames. I know that Rob sent some pictures of PS2 related things, but I guess it was put on hold like many other things (I can't find the links right now, sorry). Look at the approver stats page, down below you'll see "hardware pictures" as an item to be approved.

As for Zeebo, it is a crappy console released in Brazil and Mexico (soon to be released in China, BTW). You can read info on it in two news items here at Moby, here for its announcement and here for its release in Brazil.

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/19/2009 3:55 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] As for Zeebo, it is a crappy console released in Brazil and Mexico (soon to be released in China, BTW). You can read info on it in two news items here at Moby, here for its announcement and here for its release in Brazil. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] How weird that it wasn't ever released down here, by the way. The TK-90X and TK-95 were a gigantic success back in the day --I was just about the single one Uruguayan with a ZX Spectrum.

chirinea (47504) on 12/19/2009 5:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--] [Q2 --start chirinea wrote--] As for Zeebo, it is a crappy console released in Brazil and Mexico (soon to be released in China, BTW). You can read info on it in two news items here at Moby, here for its announcement and here for its release in Brazil. [/Q2 --end chirinea wrote--] How weird that it wasn't ever released down here, by the way. The TK-90X and TK-95 were a gigantic success back in the day --I was just about the single one Uruguayan with a ZX Spectrum. [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]I myself had a TK-85, I never saw those colored things you mention. =P

Anyway, I guess they need partners in other countries to release their stuff. I know that the release in Mexico was only possible because there is a company to produce it there. If it was to be released in Uruguay it would be easier to import them from Brazil, but I guess it wouldn't get there cheap enough. I guess that's why Tectoy never released any of its products anywhere else than here, and I think that's a shame. For what serves us that Mercosur thing when you need it, eh?

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/19/2009 8:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] For what serves us that Mercosur thing when you need it, eh? [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] LOL, yeah, I remember when our president said, 5 years ago, "We're gonna have more and better Mercosur!" --I think most of us would be content with just having plain Mercosur, but a working one ¬¬

Zeppin (8406) on 12/19/2009 6:41 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] Actually there is a hardware section on the works for MobyGames. I know that Rob sent some pictures of PS2 related things, but I guess it was put on hold like many other things (I can't find the links right now, sorry). Look at the approver stats page, down below you'll see "hardware pictures" as an item to be approved. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] The work done for the GameBoy Advance SP, as an example of what's envisioned, can be viewed here. The work that Chirinea mentioned regarding the PlayStation 2, which features its various accesories and add-ons, is viewable here.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 12/19/2009 8:47 AM · Permalink · Report

The work done for the GameBoy Advance SP, as an example of what's envisioned, can be viewed here. The work that Chirinea mentioned regarding the PlayStation 2, which features its various accesories and add-ons, is viewable here.

So why in the nine hells we still don't have this feature?

I would love to read descriptions of platforms. And also review platforms!

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/19/2009 8:08 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--] And also review platforms! [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] It would be nice to have some real, harcore fanboi wars in Moby too =P

Sciere (927124) on 12/23/2009 1:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

By all means check out the holiday sale on Steam. I could barely resist the THQ pack offered earlier this month, but the Eidos pack is completely insane this time. Also many more deals at bottom prices, a great opportunity to grab heaps of games for a ridiculously low cost.

I'm not getting paid to advertise this =)

mobygamer (92) on 12/23/2009 2:12 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--] I'm not getting paid to advertise this =) [/Q --end Sciere wrote--] I do not know :P They some very good deals. Personally, i do not like steam. 1. Steam-DRM

1. Some games require games for windows activation or whatever that is.

2. Other types of drm like secure-rom etc limited activions blablabla

3. Cannot sell the games you bought.

4. You do not get extras like in GOG ;]

5. Since games have drm you might not be able to install mods.

6. If Steam ever goes bankrupt you do not have installers, only installed and non-installed games.

7. Steam is owned by Valve and Valve has made alot of hate comments against PS3

8. Dirty tactics http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Modern-Warfare-2-Boycotted-By-Direct2Drive-GamersGate-Impulse-20958.html

9. And they screw their customers http://pc.ign.com/articles/104/1044100p1.html etc etc

Foxhack (32102) on 12/24/2009 11:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

2, 3 - Then don't buy the games you don't want to activate. Guess what, all those games have to be activated if you buy them at retail too.
4 - Most of the games they sell are cheap to obtain on their own.
6 - Uh, that's not true. If the game is designed to be modded then you can mod it. If the game is not designed to be modded and all mods are hacks then yeah, you can't do that, because it's not allowed by the game license.
7 - Ever hear of cracked Steam versions? :P
8 - Gabe doesn't want to spend the money to hire a few PS3 programmers. He'll be the one losing in the end, so let him whine all he wants.
9 - That's all Activision's doing.
And 10 - THAT'S ACTIVISION'S FAULT, NOT STEAM'S

Foxhack (32102) on 12/24/2009 11:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I limited myself to the Broken Sword 2+3 bundle pack, and the Lucasarts Adventure Pack (Loom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis, The Dig).

Seven bucks well spent.

I almost bought Mirror's Edge but I don't really want that. And Ghostbusters... I almost bought it. But then I remembered who the dev is, and I said I'd never pay more than one dollar for any game they ever made. So unless it's 99 cents, I'll never buy it.

Blah.

P.S. Got Harvey Birdman for the PS2 for $1 last week. :p

xroox (3895) on 12/24/2009 11:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--]I almost bought Mirror's Edge but I don't really want that[/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--]Oh man, you're missing out! Definitely one of the highlights of 2009, for me (Yes, the PC version came out in 2009 ;)) ... There is nothing else like it.

Foxhack (32102) on 12/24/2009 11:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Eh. It'll turn up again soon. It always does.

Slug Camargo (583) on 1/3/2010 5:59 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]By all means check out the holiday sale on Steam. I could barely resist the THQ pack offered earlier this month, but the Eidos pack is completely insane this time. Also many more deals at bottom prices, a great opportunity to grab heaps of games for a ridiculously low cost.

I'm not getting paid to advertise this =) [/Q --end Sciere wrote--] Just got my internets back today, right on time to find out that I missed Clear Sky at 5 bucks and I don't even want to know how many other insane deals =(

Parf (7873) on 12/23/2009 11:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I made a nice little find today at the local supermarket. They had a bin filled with various discount games, and I managed to find The Simpsons Game for the 360 there. Only problem was that the disc had some small scratches, which I pointed out to one of the people working there. He instantly marked it down to half the sale price for me, so I basically paid €5 or so for it. I'd like to think that's a bargain.

Oh... It ran perfectly when I tried it. :)

xroox (3895) on 12/24/2009 9:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Aww, I love those generous employee-led mark-downs. Strangely enough, I got a free copy of The Simpsons Game yesterday. Well, sorta free - It was bundled with the PS2 I bought myself for Xmas!

Parf (7873) on 12/25/2009 9:28 AM · Permalink · Report

I find it to be a somewhat nice timekiller with killer voice acting. I don't think I'd pay full price for it, but for the price I got it, I can hardly complain too much about it. :)

I got a free copy of Viva Piñata once as well. I know a guy who works at Game and they'd gotten a bundle copy of the game they couldn't get rid of, so he simply handed it to me. Actually turns out to be a pretty ok (if somewhat repetetive) game in the end, so I'm glad he gave it to me.

Parf (7873) on 1/3/2010 10:12 AM · Permalink · Report

My latest cheapo game is Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard which I managed to find totally price dumped at the local game store. It seems funny enough to warrant the price tag, but again, I probably wouldn't have bought it if not for the very reduced price.

Foxhack (32102) on 1/7/2010 10:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wednesdays finds:

$12 total, all are going to eBay eventually.

Today's finds:

The Saturn games were $3 each. Killer 7 was $6 shipped. Rayman, Killer 7, Sonic R and Rise 2: Resurrection are sealed.

I figure this is normal. I mean, I'm bound to have something bad happen to me soon since I've found so much good stuff lately.

Cantillon (75982) on 1/7/2010 10:17 PM · Permalink · Report

If something bad happens to you, can I have the games? :p

Foxhack (32102) on 1/7/2010 10:35 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cantillon wrote--]If something bad happens to you, can I have the games? :p [/Q --end Cantillon wrote--]You're in Europe, and these are not Approved By The People's Government. :D

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/7/2010 10:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Great finds man ! I recently got Faceball 2000 and Warlocked for five and seven dollars, respectively, on Amazon. Still waiting on Warlocked though.

Foxhack (32102) on 1/9/2010 9:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh man.

Everything was $3 each except American McGee's Alice ($2) and the Saturn extension cord ($1). Clockwork Knight 1+2, D, Bust-A-Move and Battle Monsters are sealed.

And I fried the memory card while testing it. Apparently this thing had like 6500 blocks taken over by John Madden game data, and it froze when I was deleting the stuff. Poof went the memory card. T_T

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 1/25/2010 5:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Nice; I hope you can make sure that the Clockwork Knight 2 cover gets scanned and entered.

Foxhack (32102) on 1/25/2010 5:55 AM · Permalink · Report

My sell sell sell side says "SELL".

My gamer side says "play."

My other personalities don't want to vote one way or the other. :(

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93195) on 1/15/2010 6:55 AM · Permalink · Report

I was in the Los Angeles area this last week, and went by all four locations of the awesome Bookoff. I don't get much in the way of game-related stuff this time (instead picking up an enormous pile of cheap manga) but I did get a few things: A copy of the original Legendary Starfy and a copy of the Gamest Graphics Vol. 1 mook, which is chock full of production art and interviews relating to late-'90s games. There's a photo of Tomonobu Itagaki from 1998 without his trademark glasses! It's bizarre!

Foxhack (32102) on 1/15/2010 6:20 PM · Permalink · Report

My latest finds were a copy of Final Fantasy VII for the PC for $5 (going to eBay), and Dance Dance Revolution X (brand new) for $5.

I also got Loadstar, Ground Zero Texas and Double Switch off a trade in GameTZ, but the trader said they were excellent and uh, they're not. He also packaged them HORRIBLY. :(

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 1/25/2010 5:50 AM · Permalink · Report

I just won an eBay lot of 19 games. Total + S&H came to ~ $13. As long as the total stays under $1/title, I'm happy.

As I was taking inventory of the lot today, I found it included a complete, wrapped, brand new copy of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear (Platinum Pack). Though it is from 2001, Amazon still sells the game new for $60. I just scored the new copy for about $0.69.

I almost wish it was my kind of game. :-) Through it all, I'm a tad disappointed that only 2 of these 19 games are not yet in the database. These are all fairly popular, cool games from the past 10 years so they're already well covered in MobyGames.

Foxhack (32102) on 1/25/2010 5:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Um.

That set isn't even worth ten bucks on eBay. Don't trust Amazon prices, ever, there's lots of markup there. :p

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 1/25/2010 6:08 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--]Um.

That set isn't even worth ten bucks on eBay. Don't trust Amazon prices, ever, there's lots of markup there. :p [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--] Yeah, especially when they list 3rd party sellers willing to sell new & used copies for much less. Still, I have little doubt that it originally sold for $60, and the principal of this thread has everything to do with the great deals. :-)

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 1/25/2010 6:06 AM · Permalink · Report

I would also be remiss if I did not mention that my favorite local thrift store had a Martin Luther King Day sale last Monday; everything was 30% off. I decided to take advantage of it and buy a lot of CD-ROMs that even I ordinarily wouldn't care about. Total score: 29 titles for $22.

The weirdest items (that I have yet to investigate thoroughly) are 2 Mac CD-ROMs that look to be interactive storybooks. Both discs are emblazoned with "DEMO DISC: NOT FOR RESALE". But the most remarkable aspect is that one jewel case has $69.95 printed on the cover and the other one $74.95! They have copyright dates of 1990, so maybe this was a reflection of the cutting-edge CD-ROM technology, combined with the usual Mac markup. Also, they were published by a Canadian outfit, so there's the outside chance that the price reflects Canadian dollars, though that seems unlikely.

When I went to purchase them, neither disc had store price tags on them. The cashier was tempted to charge me the listed prices until I calmly suggested that doing so would be absurd. We settled on $2/disc.

Foxhack (32102) on 1/25/2010 6:44 AM · Permalink · Report

What are those two games? Why are you not telling us this? :P

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 1/25/2010 7:03 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--]What are those two games? Why are you not telling us this? :P [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--]

Like I said, they just appear to be interactive storybooks rather than games. But I even enjoy collection old, non-game CD-ROMs. They are "Thomas' Snowsuit" and "The Paper Bag Princess", respectively. They're from Discis Knowledge Research, which does have a title in the database.