🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > games that copy original gameplay from other game

BdR (7207) on 5/12/2011 11:42 AM · Permalink · Report

Lately on MobyGames, I've been looking into games with original new gameplay, and other games that copied those gameplay ideas. For example I found that elevator, a DOS game I used to play a lot, was actually a based on an old C64 game Spy's Demise. And the arcade game Pang appeared much earlier in the form of Cannon Ball

So I don't mean games that have more general similarities, like Damnation and maybe some other steampunk western themed game, but I mean games that copy core gameplay ideas and mechanics.

Reusing older gameplay ideas is especially prevalent in mobile games (apple, android). Btw I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to copy gameplay ideas, I just think it's "right" to give recognition to the original creators. Here are some examples:

• Doodle Jump (original PapiJump)
  • Angry Birds (original Crush The Castle)
  • Portal (original Narbacular Drop)
  • So, I'd be interested to see if anyone knows some other big hit games that are actually copies of older less known games. Any other examples?

vedder (70795) on 5/12/2011 12:30 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bas de Reuver wrote--]

• Doodle Jump (original PapiJump)
  • [/Q --end Bas de Reuver wrote--]

Winterbells did it earlier, but using mouse controls instead of touch or gyro controls.

BdR (7207) on 5/12/2011 12:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Winterbells was released 2006, but the earliest version of PapiJump actually was a java applet released around 2003 I think.

Kabushi (261204) on 5/12/2011 12:43 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

xjump is an early variant from 1997 - but differs in having manual jumping but except that it's the same thing.

BdR (7207) on 5/12/2011 2:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I just remembered another one.

PopCap's Zuma Deluxe, idea originally from Mitchell's arcade game Ballistic aka Puzzloop.

leilei (343) on 5/13/2011 12:06 AM · Permalink · Report

The funny thing about that, is that Popcap complained about "clones of our games" referring to clones of their own Zuma.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 5/13/2011 3:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Incidentally, Mitchell also made the aforementioned Pang, itself an apparently copy of Hudson's Cannon Ball.

Curious...

ZenicReverie (2132) on 5/13/2011 1:27 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Does it matter that a group of the same students that made Narbacular Drop were hired by Valve to turn the project into a full game, which became Portal?

Klaster_1 (57612) on 5/13/2011 3:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Same goes for Tag: The Power of Paint with Portal 2. And the rest of Valve games.