Forums > Game Talk > quo vadis, Star Wars?

Rola (8483) on 11/3/2012 10:56 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm surprised nobody posted this as news item. Through the acquisition of its parent company (Lucasfilm) LucasArts was acquired by The Walt Disney Company on 30 October 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucasarts#Acquisition_by_Disney

While the official announcements say "everything stays business as usual" the change is already evident: they've announced new Trilogy, starting ...2015.

While I'm experiencing Schadenfreude [how come we don't have this beautiful German word in Polish? :D ] due to Lucas losing control (after the damage he had done to his creation in the recent 15 years or so) - although he remains the creative director, I have no hopes towards Disney management.

formercontrib (157510) on 11/3/2012 11:40 AM · Permalink · Report

I was really surprised, not to say shocked when i heard about this, still wondering, what about the games, did the deal include everything, not only films but games, too? Will they still create and publish under the Lucas logo, or melt everything into Disney?

Kabushi (261192) on 11/3/2012 11:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, LucasArts will also be part of Disney.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 11/3/2012 4:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I too had numerous thoughts on the matter.

Would Disney have been in a position to make this acquisition if not for the money they've made through their collaborations with Pixar, which Lucasfilm sold off to Steve Jobs?

Will Warwick Davis finally get to do a Mike Myers and play both Willow and Wicket in the same movie?

Monkey Island / Pirates of the Caribbean crossover?

With Marvel and Lucasfilm under the same roof, maybe they'll take another crack at a Howard the Duck movie!

Also, the next Kingdom Hearts game will be something quite special. And will Zak McCracken and the Edison family be making cameos in the next installment of Epic Mickey?

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 11/3/2012 4:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd kill for a Toy Story / Star Wars crossover.

Toy Darth Vader: I... am... your father
Toy Luke: You... are... A TOY!!
(repeat ad infinitum)
Ahhhh.... pure bliss :)

lilalurl (733) on 11/3/2012 5:29 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Also, the next Kingdom Hearts game will be something quite special. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

Great minds think alike :-) :

"The next Kingdoms Hearts will probably feature Jar-Jar then"

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=847926#post847926

Rola (8483) on 11/3/2012 6:18 PM · Permalink · Report

My expectations were changed by another minor detail.

For the last 20 years we've heard: "yes, at first I was talking about 9 movies, but that was long time ago, I've finalized the story arc in Episode 6, so there won't be # 7,8,9. Now that I'm rich I want to move back to experimental movies I dreamed of in my youth"

Two days ago: "expect another 3 movies! oh, and I'm giving billions to charity!"

The prequel trilogy was an unintentional travesty, Clone Wars - a cartoonish caricature, while Detours are just unfunny as retired comedian. And they expect me to embrace their new product...?

Regarding LucasArts games, there are rumors of another RPG (this time open world), FPS and space combat coming up. 1313 was supposed to be darker. How will these fare under Disney ownership?

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 11/3/2012 9:41 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]Regarding LucasArts games, there are rumors of another RPG (this time open world), FPS and space combat coming up. 1313 was supposed to be darker. How will these fare under Disney ownership?[/Q --end Rola wrote--] Some spokesdud said they want to take the license route.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 11/3/2012 7:00 PM · Permalink · Report

So, will Captain EO be retconned into official Star Wars canon?

Giu's Brain (503) on 11/3/2012 6:22 PM · Permalink · Report

All in all, this move by Lucas leaves me quite indifferent and I have no expectations from Disney. I'm happy to stick to the old Star Wars and Indiana Jones films and some great 90s games.

Alas, maybe Disney will surprise me and actually do something good with the franchises they now have access to. It can happen, right? Right?!

Rola (8483) on 11/3/2012 6:24 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Giu's Brain wrote--]It can happen, right? Right?![/Q --end Giu's Brain wrote--] crickets chirping in the background

Giu's Brain (503) on 11/4/2012 4:11 PM · Permalink · Report

To be fair, Disney have shown that they have enough vision to create an entire franchise of mostly hugely successful Marvel films. While the actual quality of those films is open to debate, personally I think the first Iron Man movie and The Avengers are superior by quite distance to what Lucas achieved with any of his prequel films.

Most of my doubts stem from my fear that Disney, while capable of producing successful films, might not show any courtesy to what has already been established in the Star Wars universe. I'm convinced they can do a new very popular or at least very financially profitable Star Wars trilogy. I just don't think that they'll do the kind of Star Wars films that I'd like to see; something close(r) to the style of the original. Something that has a lot of charm to it, besides the 'cool factor' and the 'pew-pew-look-at-all-the-lasers' special effects.

Rola (8483) on 11/5/2012 5:31 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/30/3577710/disney-purchases-lucasfilm-in-4-billion-acquisition-deal-includes

Disney CEO Robert Iger briefly discussed Disney's plans for game development using the intellectual properties acquired in the acquisition, saying, "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms."

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 11/6/2012 1:28 AM · Permalink · Report

I was a bit surprised by this. I though Lucas was a control freak? Why after all this time would he just sell it? I don't get it. That being said, this made me laugh. :)