Forums > Game Talk > 3D Zelda-likes

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 5/13/2015 6:30 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey guys, any recommendation for games mimicking the gameplay of Ocarina of Time and (especially) Majora's Mask? Open-ended, discovery-based, RPG-ish, busy, generously designed, not dumb, etc.?

GTramp (81965) on 5/13/2015 9:58 AM · Permalink · Report

I'd recommend Wind Waker, but most probably you've played it.

Freeman (64746) on 5/15/2015 1:08 AM · Permalink · Report

I remember having fun with Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy back on the GameCube.

Adzuken (836) on 5/15/2015 3:49 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cor 13 wrote--]Hey guys, any recommendation for games mimicking the gameplay of Ocarina of Time and (especially) Majora's Mask? Open-ended, discovery-based, RPG-ish, busy, generously designed, not dumb, etc.? [/Q --end Cor 13 wrote--] Well, that certainly narrows it down to pretty much nothing. The Zelda games have a distinct formula, so there aren't too many imitators, as far as I can recall.

That said, there are some. Okami would likely be your best bet, though I found it to be rather dry. Darksiders has its fans, but I thought it to be staggeringly boring. Beyond Good and Evil diverges from the formula in a number of ways, but I'd actually recommend it.

Other than that, maybe seek out any games in the series you haven't tried. Wind Waker is excellent, Twilight Princess has its moments, and Skyward Sword was the first Zelda game I stopped playing because it was annoying me.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 5/15/2015 10:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Nier is a fantastic game for a number of reasons. It has wonderful music and writing and it has a New Game+ mode that plunges an icepick into your heart and you will love it for it. It's set a dying world that is not going to go out with a bang, but with a final exhaled breath.