Notice: A scammer is sending out emails on behalf of MobyGames. If you receive an email from [email protected], please Report as Spam!

antstream
Forum Search  

Games made remotely? (PRE-COVID ONLY)

creditsdude (1) on Feb 12, 2021

I've actually become interested in trying to find out info on remote videogame, VFX and Animation production, and I know that virtually every game currently in production is being made remotely, but does anyone on here know any examples of any PRE-COVID videogames that were made this way (programming, art, animation, etc.)?

(Edited by creditsdude (1), Feb 12, 2021)

Re: Games made remotely? (PRE-COVID ONLY)

Plokite_Wolf (44536) on Feb 13, 2021

A good chunk of indie games.

creditsdude (1) on Feb 13, 2021

Any Notable examples you can name? (ones with large or large-ish crews, not just a small team)

(Edited by creditsdude (1), Feb 13, 2021)

vedder (50631) on Feb 13, 2021

Crowbar Collective, the devs from Black Mesa I reckon. And probably a ton of other developers that started out as modding groups.

creditsdude (1) on Feb 14, 2021

Not videogame-related, but does anyone know any feature-length movies or TV Series (PRE-COVID) that had their VFX and/or animation produced remotely?

(Edited by creditsdude (1), Feb 14, 2021)

Hergezod (13873) on Feb 15, 2021

There was a company in my country called GloriaFX which did animation and visual effects. They mostly worked with music videos, but have some films in their videography as well. Perhaps that qualifies as remote work as most of their clients were in the US.

creditsdude (1) on Feb 16, 2021

I've noticed that Ukrainian VFX/Animation studios do a lot of work for India ("Saaho", "Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy", "Puli", "Bahubali" and "2.0") as well as China ("Wandering Earth", "Shanghai Fortress", "Looking Up", "Journey To The West 2: The Demons Strike Back" and "The Thousand Faces of Dunjia"). I don't think GloriaFX contributed to any of those titles, though.

(Edited by creditsdude (1), Feb 16, 2021)

Plokite_Wolf (44536) on Feb 14, 2021

Well, a company I work for, Slipgate Ironworks, has already been on record for having a small team physically close and the rest working remotely.

I think Forgotten Empires is also a bunch of people who don't work physically near each other.

Kabushi (255406) on Feb 13, 2021

Slightly Mad Studios uses a distributed development model with staff working from all over the world.