🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Anyone own Monty Python - The Meaning of Life?

Foxhack (32100) on 3/23/2006 7:34 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm trying to figure out something here, and I need your help!

Reference: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/monty-pythons-the-meaning-of-life

I recently bought an alternate version of this game, with different cover art and game art. I haven't uploaded it to MobyGames yet because I've got a nagging doubt regarding the game itself: namely, which version was released first.

The copy on file at MobyGames was released by Panasonic Interactive Media. Well, my copy of the game has -no mention whatsoever- of them on the game's art (I haven't installed it to see if the references to them, if any, were removed from the game). It was released by 7th Level themselves.

I'm mostly curious because of the second piece of trivia on file, which claims that the game had two game stopping bugs that were never addressed. I'm hoping that, with any luck, someone here owns a copy of the original release currently on file and could check up some of the file dates and sizes on the CD to see if anything was changed from the original release to this one; there may be a chance that the bugs were fixed, and I want to make sure so everyone knows. ;)

Anyone?

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 3/23/2006 12:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I think I have that at home. I'll get back to you much later.

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 3/23/2006 11:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmmm... mine matches the Mobygames release.

Foxhack (32100) on 3/24/2006 4:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Do you remember if there was any mention of Panasonic on the game?

And if you can, could you open the CD in Windows and see what the file dates are? I figure, maybe by looking at the "Date Created/Modified" string we can figure out which one came first, you know, so the right company info can be applied to the entry.

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 4/4/2006 12:50 AM · Permalink · Report

Setup.exe was created on Tuesday, August 26, 1997, 9:02:58 AM. The disk has Panasonic Interactive Media stamped on top and the readme says that the game installs to a Panasonic folder.

Gonchi (3590) on 3/23/2006 4:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I own it. I never noticed there were two different versions, but I just pulled it out of the closet and I own the same one you do, without any mention of Panasonic.

I wonder if 7th Level got to publish the game before selling the rights to Panasonic, and then it was re-released...

I think that it's more likely that both games are identical, and that the only difference is the inclusion of Panasonic on the Box and CD's.

Katakis | カタキス (43091) on 3/24/2006 10:32 AM · Permalink · Report

I did not even know that that was made.