🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Hopefully someone can help.

Big John WV (26954) on 12/20/2008 1:13 AM · Permalink · Report

I have a question, hopefully someone here can help me, I have just recently gotten a 22" Sylvania LCD HDTV and still have a PS2 (I'm very cheap to upgrade to PS3). When I played with a coaxial cable, the quality was very poor, almost muddy so I used the AV cables and it was better, but not the best. I went out and bought the Component AV cables that work for both the PS2 and PS3 and the game is much sharper, problem is some games look jagged down such as Star Wars: Battlefront. The text is still readable, but almost looks like it is fractured a bit and the characters aren't as smooth as they were on a regular TV. Am I missing something or does the TV bring out the worse in PS2 and actually show its age? I'm hoping there is something I am missing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

DreinIX (10446) on 12/20/2008 1:38 AM · Permalink · Report

If you have an old TV use it. I don't think there's any other solution. When I sent my PS3 for service and changed back to using the PS2 my eyes hurt from the way images were displayed. I could almost count the scanlines. Kinda used to it by now but the whole blur-like thing gave me headaches at first. I think it has to do with the fact that most PS2 games don't support progressive mode. Personally I only now of 1 game that supports it but haven't actually tested it yet to see if there's any noticeable difference. Anyway, Servo will probably have a more decent explanation as to why this happens (and maybe a solution - if there is one).

Corn Popper (69027) on 12/20/2008 7:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Here is all the PS2 games on the site that support proscan... http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,275/p,7/

There is also an option on the PS2 for smooth scaling or something like that in the main options menu. Not much else you can do other than get an S-video cable for the PS2 which is probably the best middle ground rather than getting an older TV.

Big John WV (26954) on 12/21/2008 7:52 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]Here is all the PS2 games on the site that support proscan... http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,275/p,7/

There is also an option on the PS2 for smooth scaling or something like that in the main options menu. Not much else you can do other than get an S-video cable for the PS2 which is probably the best middle ground rather than getting an older TV. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

Thanks Corn Popper, I bought an S-AV cable and it works perfectly, just like it was on the old tv plus it looks great, thanks again and thanks again to everyone else who helped too.

Foxhack (32100) on 12/20/2008 1:41 AM · Permalink · Report

There should be a setting on the TV that allows you to upscale the graphics so they look fine on the screen.

What model did you buy?

Depeche Mike (17455) on 12/20/2008 1:56 AM · Permalink · Report

The same thing happens with PS1 emulators on decent computers. They are unplayable since polygons ultra-sharp while others are low res sprites. I'm surprised that it's so bad on ps2 though...

Foxhack (32100) on 12/20/2008 2:46 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Depeche Mike Isguder wrote--]The same thing happens with PS1 emulators on decent computers. They are unplayable since polygons ultra-sharp while others are low res sprites. I'm surprised that it's so bad on ps2 though... [/Q --end Depeche Mike Isguder wrote--]That's because Ps1 emulators aren't emulating the hardware renderers properly; they're cheating by using your computer's 3D card instead. So the graphics look sharper than they should be.

That's why I've never contributed a single Ps1 game shot to the site. The emulators just aren't accurate.

Big John WV (26954) on 12/20/2008 2:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kit Silva wrote--]There should be a setting on the TV that allows you to upscale the graphics so they look fine on the screen.

What model did you buy? [/Q --end Kit Silva wrote--]

Model LC225SL9

Foxhack (32100) on 12/20/2008 2:49 AM · Permalink · Report

You can configure your Ps2 to output stuff to 16:9 format. It should work, in theory. It's in the PS2's configuration mode, just turn it on without a disc and fiddle with it.

Big John WV (26954) on 12/20/2008 3:03 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kit Silva wrote--]You can configure your Ps2 to output stuff to 16:9 format. It should work, in theory. It's in the PS2's configuration mode, just turn it on without a disc and fiddle with it. [/Q --end Kit Silva wrote--]

I tried that, I looks a little bit better, but there is still some choppiness. It looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and go look for an old tv at a flea market somewhere. Ironically I really didnt get flat screen for the quality, only because its the only thing on the market at the moment. If I knew this, I would have just went out and got an older TV. Sadly the only other three I have is a 26 inch big back where the tubes are going bad, a 15 inch TV where I have to strain to see and an old Sentry 2 that has trouble actually detecting colors on modern day cartoons like Family Guy. Thanks anyways guys for all your help with this. Now, I'm off to smash my PS2 and TV in a fit of rage, LOL.