Forums > Off Topic > MobyGames Will Be Blocked In China

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/1/2010 4:21 AM · Permalink · Report

Guys, I'm very, very sad to announce the following news I heard from an expert on internet security here in China.

It's not a secret to anyone that more and more websites are getting blocked in China now, apparently to "raise security and awareness of the citizens" towards the upcoming Expo in Shanghai.

Sadly, after Wikipedia, YouTube, Facebook, google.com, and thousands of other popular sites, it's time for MobyGames to be inaccessible in China.

I just saw a list of several thousands (if not more) of websites that will be blocked "before the Expo begins" - in May - and I was amazed to see MobyGames in the list (along with many other popular game websites, such as GameFAQs and IGN).

So I guess those are the last days I'm spending with you guys, I certainly hope I'll return when I'm back in Israel (current plan: in 2.5 years), but until then... we can only hope that the block will be lifted after the Expo, but the sad example of Facebook shows that once a site is blocked here, it stays so...

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/1/2010 4:32 AM · Permalink · Report

I bet it's because of something Indra said.

There still are some h4x0r workarounds to avoid the blocking, right? Though who knows what could happen if they somehow find out you're using them =(

Indra was here (20755) on 4/1/2010 7:28 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--]I bet it's because of something Indra said. [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]Hey, commie chicks are hot! Or is that subject to censorship too?

This is the second time I believe MG got banned. Probably will be fine after the expo. Ban the internet, let McDonalds roam free. Feels oddly familiar. :p

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/1/2010 4:33 AM · Permalink · Report

What? In May no Oleg? For 2.5 years? So this is the last month? Why are you taking 2.5 years to move to Israel? Why are you moving? Don't you like China anymore? What is Expo?

Damn.

Why do they ban sites for some event anyway? I can't understand the "political" threat of gaming to some expo in Shanghai.

"raise security and awareness of the citizens"

Well at least you got your hentai article released before the curtain fell.

It's sad.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/1/2010 5:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Why are you taking 2.5 years to move to Israel?

Several reasons, but mostly because of my ex-wife doing everything possible to not let me visit my son, so I gotta stick around for a while until he grows up a bit and the court will, hopefully, improve my visitation conditions.

Why are you moving? Don't you like China anymore?

There's a lot to like in China, but let's put it this way: I already have one child growing up here, and I don't want my future children to share the same destiny. I want to build a new family, and I want to do it in my home country.

What is Expo?

World Fair. 2010 in Shanghai.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/1/2010 7:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]There's a lot to like in China, but let's put it this way: I already have one child growing up here, and I don't want my future children to share the same destiny. I want to build a new family, and I want to do it in my home country. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Finally. Took you long enough.

BTW, please don't end up marrying some random Palestinian chick with great [enter plural anatomy here], who also happens to have 12 cousins from lovably organizations more likely to blow up your dinner party. Though personally, I'd find that hilarious, but I'm pretty sure you won't. :p

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/1/2010 7:43 PM · Permalink · Report

You know, Oleg's tragic example is killing whatever interest I've had in marrying foreign women.

Cultural differences just suck.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/1/2010 7:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]You know, Oleg's tragic example is killing whatever interest I've had in marrying foreign women.

Cultural differences just suck. [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--] No. Just their families. In Asia, usually one would be advised: You don't marry the girl. You marry the entire clan.

Unless you move out of the country.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/1/2010 7:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well that's the thing. "Family" doesn't exist in Estonia and I assume in other post-Soviet non-religious countries. So those tight families would already be a pain to deal with it.

Indra's edit: Ghastly. Wouldn't the clan just follow you?

Indra was here (20755) on 4/1/2010 8:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]Wouldn't the clan just follow you? [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]We follow tradition. Not the other way around. It would depend on the social status of your family in the clan and many other factors.

I mentally left my clan eons ago. Only mingle for the sake of my mother, whose brother is the chief of her clan. My father formerly being the chief of mine. Ironically, I'm considered the friendliest sibling in my family. :p

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/1/2010 8:21 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dewa Indra? wrote--] Ironically, I'm considered the friendliest sibling in my family. :p [/Q --end Dewa Indra? wrote--]

Clans make you mean, uh? All that lack of personal freedom and privacy? What happened with your father?

Indra was here (20755) on 4/1/2010 8:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--] All that lack of personal freedom and privacy? What happened with your father? [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--] He's dead.

Lack of personal freedom and privacy? On the contrary. The idea of personal freedom and privacy only exists in communities where such a concept already exists, thus you expect and are used to it. In more traditional cultures, personal freedom and privacy is not a known concept. The basic principle of importance is the survival of the clan. The concept of "happiness" revolves around serving the clan.

Back in my home town (or home village more precisely) every one is a relative. There are no "outsiders" no individuals outside of my clan. Those that are, are there by marriage. The nice thing about these communities is that everyone takes care of everyone else. For example, if your wife had a baby, she wouldn't be the only one taking care of her. Every female of age would feel responsible to share the burden and responsibility of raising the child.

Unfortunately, city kids like myself mentally perceive such customs as somewhat boring. Either that or the slow moving water buffalo's.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/1/2010 8:43 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dewa Indra? wrote--] Back in my home town (or home village more precisely) every one is a relative. There are no "outsiders" no individuals outside of my clan. Those that are, are there by marriage. The nice thing about these communities is that everyone takes care of everyone else. For example, if your wife had a baby, she wouldn't be the only one taking care of her. Every female of age would feel responsible to share the burden and responsibility of raising the child. [/Q --end Dewa Indra? wrote--]

Sounds like marxist utopia. Engels and he praised these kinds of cultures in their works. Iroquois League was especially loved as I recall.

In here, the mother is always all alone. And we're not talking about teenage pregnancies, but 30-something and 20-somethings here. Getting a kid makes life hard for a women. You lose your job and unless you're a blue-blood elite and rich, the government's support won't really help you.

A thing like a "man" doesn't exist here. Women pick their mates and if they like them really much they start to support them financially for regular fucking and things like that. So only very few women can afford a kid.

And a thing like "marriage" doesn't exist either. We call them free marriages. A man lives with a woman, until the next woman takes him from the current woman, and woe to the current woman if she had a kid with that man. Because then she'll be all alone with the kid.

Of course, with our indigenous people the issue is different. Well, men are still nothing more than walking-talking sperm banks fading slowly into the night as they're incapable of anything other than raising their penis every now and then, but there the women stick together and look after each other's kids. And they have a long tradition of matriarchy.

I've noticed that people here actually long for these kinds of connections you describe, but the idea of living for a clan still sounds kinda ghastly for me, despite the positive sides of human connection I might long for.

You know, when I said "wouldn't the clan just follow you" I actually meant that as in "if you'd marry an asian women, and then move with her out from the country, wouldn't the clan follow you wherever you go". It seems to me that you understood it as "wouldn't the clan follow your leadership."

It's interesting what you wrote, but I'm not exactly sure you answered the question I asked.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/2/2010 6:47 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--] You know, when I said "wouldn't the clan just follow you" I actually meant that as in "if you'd marry an asian women, and then move with her out from the country, wouldn't the clan follow you wherever you go". [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--] Ah, different issue then. The answer would be no. The power of the clan (any clan around the world, I suspect) is also geographically limited. Under the logic that in other territories, it would be under the power of other "clans". So as a matter of tradition, anyone leaving the clan would also mean leaving the territorial jurisdiction of the clan.

Even for members of the clan that have expanded and gathered outside the village, they live by at least 2 sets of rules: the clan, the state, the religion, and the majority clan where they reside (if it's worth noticing).

For example, my tribe (consisting around 4 million individuals) is roughly 90% of Protestant religion (90% of which possibly still revere to tribal paganism :p). Those that angered the clan (incest, murder, etc.) traveled far south and converted to Islam, where Muslim influence is much higher for the clans that reside there.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/3/2010 5:43 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dewa Indra? wrote--] For example, my tribe (consisting around 4 million individuals) is roughly 90% of Protestant religion (90% of which possibly still revere to tribal paganism :p). Those that angered the clan (incest, murder, etc.) traveled far south and converted to Islam, where Muslim influence is much higher for the clans that reside there. [/Q --end Dewa Indra? wrote--]

:D

So muslims are protestants who wanted to do incest and murder? It was just asking for this connection.

Protestants revere "tribal paganism" here too. At least intellectually. Because tribal pagans and protestants share the same theologians.

Foxhack (32100) on 4/1/2010 11:08 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dewa Indra? wrote--] No. Just their families. In Asia, usually one would be advised: You don't marry the girl. You marry the entire clan.

Unless you move out of the country. [/Q --end Dewa Indra? wrote--]Asia? It's like that in Mexico too.

Even moving out of the country won't help you, they'll FOLLOW YOU.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/2/2010 6:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--] Even moving out of the country won't help you, they'll FOLLOW YOU. [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--]Wow, you guys are worse than us. There should be more of you in Asia. That would be fun. Haven't spotted one dang Latino here, ever.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/2/2010 5:19 AM · Permalink · Report

No. Just their families. In Asia, usually one would be advised: You don't marry the girl. You marry the entire clan.

How very true! That's exactly what happened to me in my previous marriage.

When I heard that her parents were going to live with us in a 2-room apartment until the baby is about 2 years old, after which they (the parents) will move out with the baby, according to the great Shanghainese tradition, I understood it was time to pack my suitcases.

Not to mention the whole "now my parents are here, they rule our family, you just earn the money and shut up" business, and the "you touch the baby when my parents say so, if they call you you change his diapers, but don't kiss him on the cheek because it's bad for him" business... and the awful, violent quarrels...

Whoa, sorry, I got carried away.

Not everyone in China is like this, though. Besides, Shanghai mentality is an extreme case.

DJP Mom (11333) on 4/2/2010 5:26 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

It might be a good idea to really get to know your next girlfriend and her family before you marry her, Oleg :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/2/2010 5:34 AM · Permalink · Report

It might be a good idea to really get to know your next girlfriend and her family before you marry her, Oleg :)

That's exactly what I'm doing now :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/2/2010 5:33 AM · Permalink · Report

You know, Oleg's tragic example is killing whatever interest I've had in marrying foreign women.

Cultural differences just suck.

They do indeed. But I don't think it was just about the cultural differences.

I have a Chinese girlfriend now, she is from Manchuria and is a Catholic, which makes her culture more close to mine, but she is still from a very conservative family, and if she had the same priorities as my ex-wife, it wouldn't have worked, either. But she thinks that, as a couple, we make the decisions, without involving either side's parents (well, my Mom would anyway never try to impose her decisions on me). I'm sure her parents would like to make some changes to our relationship, but she won't let them, and they are starting to accept that. So in the end, it all depends on the person, more than it does on the culture this person comes from.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/2/2010 5:05 PM · Permalink · Report

and is a Catholic, which makes her culture more close to mine

Maybe you should look into a girl from the Kaifeng community 8)

(well, my Mom would anyway never try to impose her decisions on me)

Yes, Jewish mothers using guilt to manipulate their children is unheard of!

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/2/2010 5:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, Jewish mothers using guilt to manipulate their children is unheard of!

My Mom is not like that :)

Foxhack (32100) on 4/2/2010 6:05 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Yes, Jewish mothers using guilt to manipulate their children is unheard of!

My Mom is not like that :) [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Well, she's not an American Jew. :p

Indra was here (20755) on 4/2/2010 6:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Yes, Jewish mothers using guilt to manipulate their children is unheard of! [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Isn't that somewhat universal among mothers around the world. Have grown somewhat immune to the guilt treatment...and have taken a mental note not to use the same technique on my children if I have any.

It tends to stimulate the growth of psychotic tendencies.

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/2/2010 10:30 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dewa Indra? wrote--] Isn't that somewhat universal among mothers around the world. [/Q --end Dewa Indra? wrote--] Either you're right on the money, or there are a lot of jew mothers in disguise all over the world.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/3/2010 5:24 AM · Permalink · Report

We're all jews!

Indra was here (20755) on 4/3/2010 9:23 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--]Either you're right on the money, or there are a lot of jew mothers in disguise all over the world. [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]It's obviously an international conspiracy by Jewish mothers.

I have undeniable proof! It's from the internet. Has animated gifs too! :p

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/1/2010 5:37 AM · Permalink · Report

That's what we get for documenting historical games depicting Tibet as ever having been distinct from China!

BurningStickMan (17916) on 4/1/2010 5:40 AM · Permalink · Report

April Fools? I demand a link.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/1/2010 5:47 AM · Permalink · Report

April Fools? I demand a link.

Hehehe, hoohoohoo, MWAAH-HAAA-HAAA, you are smart, you are smart :)

April Fools, guys :) Don't worry, China's government doesn't (yet) see a problem in submitting hentai games to international databases :)

Hehehe, but it was a good one, right? :)

BurningStickMan (17916) on 4/1/2010 5:59 AM · Permalink · Report

Upon reflection, I shouldn't have ruined what you had going :P

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/1/2010 6:10 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--] April Fools, guys :)

Hehehe, but it was a good one, right? :) [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

I'm speechless. I completely bought into it... you scared us!

Yeah, it was a good one.

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 4/1/2010 6:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I think this has to be the first April Fool I fell for in years. I was really sad.

vedder (70787) on 4/1/2010 7:29 AM · Permalink · Report

:D You almost had me as well. I was already googling.

Parf (7873) on 4/1/2010 10:01 AM · Permalink · Report

You got me there... I wouldn't be surprised if it were to happen for real in China, which is kind of sad. :\

Glad to see you'll be sticking around though! :D

formercontrib (157510) on 4/1/2010 11:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Nice one, really :))

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/1/2010 11:19 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]April Fools? I demand a link.

Hehehe, hoohoohoo, MWAAH-HAAA-HAAA, you are smart, you are smart :)

April Fools, guys :) Don't worry, China's government doesn't (yet) see a problem in submitting hentai games to international databases :)

Hehehe, but it was a good one, right? :) [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

You really had me going ! Good one !

xroox (3895) on 4/1/2010 11:27 AM · Permalink · Report

You got me too :) Anyway, good to know it's not true!

chirinea (47495) on 4/1/2010 11:34 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Hehehe, but it was a good one, right? :) [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]No, it wasn't a good one, I was scared already! Thank God it was just April Fools.

Zeppin (8408) on 4/1/2010 7:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]April Fools, guys :) Don't worry, China's government doesn't (yet) see a problem in submitting hentai games to international databases :)

Hehehe, but it was a good one, right? :) [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] The original starting post in this thread was the last thing I read before rushing out to work this morning, and it was on my mind for a good bit of the day. Where on Earth were we going to find such a prolific contributor, both in submissions and on the approving side? I'm glad to here that I've been hosed. =P

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/1/2010 4:58 PM · Permalink · Report

In honour of the occasion, we should see if someone can get this to run and we can document it.

DJP Mom (11333) on 4/1/2010 12:53 PM · Permalink · Report

I fell for it hook, line and sinker, I just didn't get why you didn't sound very upset at the thought of losing MobyGames for 2.5 years! Happy April Fools :)

formercontrib (157510) on 4/1/2010 1:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Man!!! if i knew this several hours earlier, all those new PC-98 entries had been started going muldy in the queue ;)===

—- (1623) on 4/1/2010 3:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Like sheesh... am I the only one who saw through this right upon reading the headline?

I demand a prize!

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 4/1/2010 7:30 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ash Ligast II wrote--] I demand a prize! [/Q --end Ash Ligast II wrote--]

Out of sympathy, i would be willing to give you a couple of peanuts i found under my sofa cushions if you want?

Indra was here (20755) on 4/1/2010 7:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]...but the sad example of Facebook shows that once a site is blocked here, it stays so... [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Hell, any dictatorship right (or wrong) in the head would be insane not to ban Facebook. Besides, we frequently attack democracy more than commies. Hell, we should get commie endorsement fees. :p

Personally, I'd prefer the commie chicks.

[edit] Oleg you Jewish @#^%^@#^@%@&@$%&*@$%@#@#$%@#$%@#$%#$%@# halfwit!

:)

Does this mean we still get commie chicks?

Chris Wright (85) on 4/1/2010 9:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Sadly, after Wikipedia, YouTube, Facebook, google.com, and thousands of other popular sites, it's time for MobyGames to be inaccessible in China. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

Wow. People's Republic my ass. Whenever you're ready to pull your head out of your ass, China, that would be fantastic. Until then, you are a disgrace to the planet.

I suppose really this is just petulant retaliation for Google standing up for what the believe in. I guess when you have no integrity, there are no depths so low that you won't swim in them.

DJP Mom (11333) on 4/1/2010 10:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

:D Think you ought to read the complete thread!

Chris Wright (85) on 4/2/2010 12:18 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--]:D Think you ought to read the complete thread! [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--]

Why? Is there some vital information I have missed? I can't imagine anything would change my perception that this is fascist and ignorant. Assuming the initial post was not in gross error.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/2/2010 12:29 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Chris Wright wrote--] [Q2 --start DJP Mom wrote--]:D Think you ought to read the complete thread! [/Q2 --end DJP Mom wrote--]

Why? Is there some vital information I have missed? I can't imagine anything would change my perception that this is fascist and ignorant. Assuming the initial post was not in gross error. [/Q --end Chris Wright wrote--]

It's a April Fools joke man.

Chris Wright (85) on 4/2/2010 12:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] [Q2 --start Chris Wright wrote--] [Q3 --start DJP Mom wrote--]:D Think you ought to read the complete thread! [/Q3 --end DJP Mom wrote--]

Why? Is there some vital information I have missed? I can't imagine anything would change my perception that this is fascist and ignorant. Assuming the initial post was not in gross error. [/Q2 --end Chris Wright wrote--]

It's a April Fools joke man. [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]

Oh right. Misinformation is supposed to be funny, Ha. Ha. Ha.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/2/2010 1:28 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Chris Wright wrote--] [Q2 --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] [Q3 --start Chris Wright wrote--] [Q4 --start DJP Mom wrote--]:D Think you ought to read the complete thread! [/Q4 --end DJP Mom wrote--]

Why? Is there some vital information I have missed? I can't imagine anything would change my perception that this is fascist and ignorant. Assuming the initial post was not in gross error. [/Q3 --end Chris Wright wrote--]

It's a April Fools joke man. [/Q2 --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]

Oh right. Misinformation is supposed to be funny, Ha. Ha. Ha. [/Q --end Chris Wright wrote--]

It's April first. Suspect everything on the net to be a joke. 8)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/2/2010 2:13 AM · Permalink · Report

In an unfunny era, April Fool's pranks have a low bar to pass. But there's still more humour in the misinforming "gotcha!" than there is in any given episode of Family Guy, so we can't be doing that bad.

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/2/2010 2:48 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Chris Wright wrote--] Oh right. Misinformation is supposed to be funny, Ha. Ha. Ha. [/Q --end Chris Wright wrote--] Jesus, man, chill. It wasn't the funniest joke in the world, but that grumpy attitude of yours will get your arteries all clogged up and stuff.

Also, your avatar looks like the dude is molesting himself.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/2/2010 5:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Even though it was a joke, it was completely rooted in reality. YouTube, Facebook, and thousands of other sites are blocked in China. I only invented the bit about MobyGames being blocked.

And China does have a fascist and ignorant regime, you are right about that, and it stays that way even if MG is not blocked.

Chris Wright (85) on 4/2/2010 5:54 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Even though it was a joke, it was completely rooted in reality. YouTube, Facebook, and thousands of other sites are blocked in China. I only invented the bit about MobyGames being blocked.

And China does have a fascist and ignorant regime, you are right about that, and it stays that way even if MG is not blocked. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

Thank you for being a reasonable guy. The three above you I have my doubts about!

Havoc Crow (29859) on 4/2/2010 6:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Chris Wright wrote--] [Q2 --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Even though it was a joke, it was completely rooted in reality. YouTube, Facebook, and thousands of other sites are blocked in China. I only invented the bit about MobyGames being blocked.

And China does have a fascist and ignorant regime, you are right about that, and it stays that way even if MG is not blocked. [/Q2 --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

Thank you for being a reasonable guy. The three above you I have my doubts about! [/Q --end Chris Wright wrote--] You are one of the very, very few who ever complain about blatant April Fools jokes. Seriously, if you see anything even slightly outrageous on that day, you should know that it's most likely a joke. It's not like it's an offensive joke or something.

Chris Wright (85) on 4/2/2010 11:49 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JudgeDeadd wrote--] [Q2 --start Chris Wright wrote--] [Q3 --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Even though it was a joke, it was completely rooted in reality. YouTube, Facebook, and thousands of other sites are blocked in China. I only invented the bit about MobyGames being blocked.

And China does have a fascist and ignorant regime, you are right about that, and it stays that way even if MG is not blocked. [/Q3 --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

Thank you for being a reasonable guy. The three above you I have my doubts about! [/Q2 --end Chris Wright wrote--] You are one of the very, very few who ever complain about blatant April Fools jokes. Seriously, if you see anything even slightly outrageous on that day, you should know that it's most likely a joke. It's not like it's an offensive joke or something. [/Q --end JudgeDeadd wrote--]

I don't mind telling you, JudgeDeadd, if that is your real name, that I find the apparent innocence and frivolity of April Fool's to betray an underlying triviality and lack of nobility in the human race. One day it will be no more; and for that I will be relieved.

DJP Mom (11333) on 4/2/2010 12:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Chris Wright wrote--] I don't mind telling you, JudgeDeadd, if that is your real name, that I find the apparent innocence and frivolity of April Fool's to betray an underlying triviality and lack of nobility in the human race. One day it will be no more; and for that I will be relieved. [/Q --end Chris Wright wrote--]LOL! Oh, sorry, that's a trivial, ignoble thing to say, isn't it?

Chris Wright (85) on 4/2/2010 6:12 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--] [Q2 --start Chris Wright wrote--] I don't mind telling you, JudgeDeadd, if that is your real name, that I find the apparent innocence and frivolity of April Fool's to betray an underlying triviality and lack of nobility in the human race. One day it will be no more; and for that I will be relieved. [/Q2 --end Chris Wright wrote--]LOL! Oh, sorry, that's a trivial, ignoble thing to say, isn't it? [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--]

To quote Jesus -- It is as you say!

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/2/2010 1:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Jesus Christ.

Foxhack (32100) on 4/2/2010 6:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]Jesus Christ. [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]He's out right now, but he said he'd be back by Sunday. :D

BurningStickMan (17916) on 4/2/2010 6:38 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--] [Q2 --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]Jesus Christ. [/Q2 --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]He's out right now, but he said he'd be back by Sunday. :D [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--]

And we have a winner!

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/2/2010 10:31 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--] [Q2 --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]Jesus Christ. [/Q2 --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]He's out right now, but he said he'd be back by Sunday. :D [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--] How come we still don't have some kind of "post of teh month!!" voting system yet?

Indra was here (20755) on 4/3/2010 9:24 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--]How come we still don't have some kind of "post of teh month!!" voting system yet? [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]Pride. At least, we'd like to think so. :p

Indra was here (20755) on 4/2/2010 6:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]Jesus Christ. [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]Precisely. Amen.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 4/2/2010 3:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[q] I don't mind telling you, JudgeDeadd, if that is your real name, that I find the apparent innocence and frivolity of April Fool's to betray an underlying triviality and lack of nobility in the human race. One day it will be no more; and for that I will be relieved. [/q]

jeez, get that twig out your arse and develop a sense of humour! your like the grinch of april fools!

Havoc Crow (29859) on 4/3/2010 7:22 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Chris Wright wrote--] [Q2 --start JudgeDeadd wrote--] [Q3 --start Chris Wright wrote--] [Q4 --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Even though it was a joke, it was completely rooted in reality. YouTube, Facebook, and thousands of other sites are blocked in China. I only invented the bit about MobyGames being blocked.

And China does have a fascist and ignorant regime, you are right about that, and it stays that way even if MG is not blocked. [/Q4 --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

Thank you for being a reasonable guy. The three above you I have my doubts about! [/Q3 --end Chris Wright wrote--] You are one of the very, very few who ever complain about blatant April Fools jokes. Seriously, if you see anything even slightly outrageous on that day, you should know that it's most likely a joke. It's not like it's an offensive joke or something. [/Q2 --end JudgeDeadd wrote--] I don't mind telling you, JudgeDeadd, if that is your real name, that I find the apparent innocence and frivolity of April Fool's to betray an underlying triviality and lack of nobility in the human race. One day it will be no more; and for that I will be relieved. [/Q --end Chris Wright wrote--] Actually, that is my real name. Blame my parents. :> I also do, in fact, look like a cartoonish crow riding twin skateboards. Genetic experiments, y'know.

...Also, if you hate triviality and un-nobility so much, then what are you doing on a website dedicated to video games?!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/2/2010 5:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Thank you for being a reasonable guy. The three above you I have my doubts about!

Come on, it's not like we're celebrating any religious holidays here 8)

formercontrib (157510) on 4/2/2010 5:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Thank you for being a reasonable guy. The three above you I have my doubts about!

Come on, it's not like we're celebrating any religious holidays here 8) [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

Nooooooooooooooooooooottttttttttt ??!??!? i always thought Moby is a (and so our) religion, isn't it ?? .... and i left Scientology for it ;)===

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/2/2010 5:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

But Death to Jesus! day is fun too. No school or work! And later you get to paint eggs. And eat chocolate.

vedder (70787) on 4/2/2010 5:51 PM · Permalink · Report

If painting eggs was really fun, we'd do it way more often than once a year.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/2/2010 5:56 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Lots of things are done only once in a year. Like April Fool's. It makes them feel more "special."

Sure you can do a bonfire any time you want, but a bonfire in summer solstice is special.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/2/2010 7:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]If painting eggs was really fun, we'd do it way more often than once a year. [/Q --end vedder wrote--]That is a remarkably good point.

Never did like hard boiled eggs. If they changed it too beef or ham, that would be something.

Not quite sure how the painting fits then, though. :p

Foxhack (32100) on 4/2/2010 6:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]But Death to Jesus! day is fun too. No school or work! And later you get to paint eggs. And eat chocolate. [/Q --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]No no no, you have it all wrong. TODAY is Death To Jesus day. We paint eggs on Zombie Jesus day, which is Sunday.

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/2/2010 10:40 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--] [Q2 --start Rabbi Guru wrote--]But Death to Jesus! day is fun too. No school or work! And later you get to paint eggs. And eat chocolate. [/Q2 --end Rabbi Guru wrote--]No no no, you have it all wrong. TODAY is Death To Jesus day. We paint eggs on Zombie Jesus day, which is Sunday. [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--] Just to show how much of a worldwide culture mashup we are, we just eat eggs made of chocolate on Zombie Jesus Day =P

And they're decorated with colored sugar. To resemble painting I guess.

chirinea (47495) on 4/3/2010 5:21 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--]Just to show how much of a worldwide culture mashup we are, we just eat eggs made of chocolate on Zombie Jesus Day =P

And they're decorated with colored sugar. To resemble painting I guess. [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]As for Brazil, the "we just eat chocolate eggs" is true, but the colored sugar decoration isn't. The chocolate eggs just come wrapped in shiny and colorful plastic.

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/2/2010 10:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey, something that popped in my head last night. Because I'm slow like that.

Anyway, the thing: Do they have April Fools in China/Israel/Russia too, or you're just Americanizing yourself a little for the sake of internet joking?

I ask because we don't have April Fools down here, but we do have "Innocent's Day", which is exactly the same only you say something that would go like "May innocence help you!" once you got someone, and also it's "celebrated" on December 28th. Are we that much of culture freaks? O_O

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/3/2010 12:22 AM · Permalink · Report

I know that France has the "poisson d'Avril", which is functionally equivalent. Not a lot of French here, however.

vedder (70787) on 4/3/2010 12:54 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm pretty sure April fools in the Netherlands reaches back several hundred years.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/3/2010 4:07 AM · Permalink · Report

April Fool's should be in Russia too, if it is in Estonia.

Man I wish I would have known about December 28 days sooner. It would have helped me to win an argument few days ago.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/3/2010 4:02 AM · Permalink · Report

There seems to be a long April Fools tradition in Russia, there is even a little children's song going "Pervoe Aprelya, nikomu ne veryu" - bad rhyme, I know - meaning "It's April 1st, I don't believe anyone".

European immigrants brought April Fools to Israel as well.

As for China, I'm not sure, I gotta ask. It's pretty popular here, but I'm not sure when it started.

Depeche Mike (17455) on 4/9/2010 12:00 PM · Permalink · Report

I think we deport you from Canada if you don't have a sense of humour.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/3/2010 9:26 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--]"May innocence help you!" [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]Must've taken centuries for that line to catch on. :p

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/4/2010 2:11 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dewa Indra? wrote--] [Q2 --start Schadenfreude wrote--]"May innocence help you!" [/Q2 --end Schadenfreude wrote--]Must've taken centuries for that line to catch on. :p [/Q --end Dewa Indra? wrote--] It's not exactly that, but I couldn't figure the right translation.

The actual phrase is pretty stupid anyway, though =P