🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Off Topic > I'm a dad!

Parf (7873) on 7/20/2010 1:28 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm going to be around (even?!) less for a while now, since I had my very first little son the 15th of July through a planned C-section. This means that I'll have both a recovering wife and a tiny baby to look after for a few weeks here before things start to calm down and fall in to routine.

So... I'll still try to approve the odd thing here and there, but I don't think I'll do a lot of submitting for a bit.

Sciere (930488) on 7/20/2010 1:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations! What's his name?

MZ per X (3017) on 7/20/2010 1:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Daddy 2010, big congrats !! :o)

My oldest son turns 10 this Thursday. Wow, that was fast. Maybe you will remember this thread when your son turns 10, and feel old. =)

Cantillon (76965) on 7/20/2010 1:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations!

Parf (7873) on 7/20/2010 2:14 PM · Permalink · Report

@Sciere: Thank you! His name is Elias, after my grandfather. :)

@MZ: I can't believe how fast it went from when we found out my wife was pregnant until the moment we held him in our arms. Crazy!

@Cantillon: Thank you very much! :)

MZ per X (3017) on 7/20/2010 2:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Just one initial piece of advice:

If you bought Elias a cuddly toy to sleep with - buy it TWICE. Don't ask, just do it. :o)

Golradir on 7/20/2010 2:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations!!

Servo (57070) on 7/20/2010 3:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Wow, neat; congratulations!

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 7/20/2010 3:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations!

Kabushi (261204) on 7/20/2010 3:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Grattis!

formercontrib (157510) on 7/20/2010 3:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Yipppieh and Congratz! ... and good news for the site here too: A new Contributor and hopefully Approver asap, is here! Don't forget to feed him additional 3 times a day with Moby pulp ;)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/20/2010 3:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations! Don't forget to change your avatar into him, or at least you and him :)

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 7/20/2010 4:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations!

chirinea (47495) on 7/20/2010 4:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations! And Elias is a beautiful name.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/20/2010 4:57 PM · Permalink · Report

And Elias is a beautiful name.

It's my official name, hehe. "Eliyahu", after the prophet. Nobody calls me that, though, except government officials :)

Parf (7873) on 7/20/2010 6:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Wow! Thank you all for the incredible nice words! This is totally what makes me want to hang around this site (aside from the gaming aspect obviously). People are nice here. :)

chirinea (47495) on 7/20/2010 7:00 PM · Permalink · Report

You mean that your name is Eliyahu Oleg Roschin?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/21/2010 3:54 AM · Permalink · Report

You mean that your name is Eliyahu Oleg Roschin?

Nope, my official name, in ID card, passport, and all other documents, is Eliyahu Roshchin. "Oleg" is my old Russian name, but everybody call me like that anyway.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95085) on 7/20/2010 8:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations, buddy! That's great news, and I wish nothing but the best for you and your family. :)

vedder (70793) on 7/20/2010 8:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Grats!

xroox (3895) on 7/20/2010 9:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Awesome news! Congrats. Hope your wife is feeling better soon. Hope you have an amazing time being parents to Elias :D

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/21/2010 1:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Well congratulations and whatnot, of course :D

I got a question, though: What do you mean by "planned C-section"? As in, why was it planned?

formercontrib (157510) on 7/21/2010 1:08 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]Well congratulations and whatnot, of course :D

I got a question, though: What do you mean by "planned C-section"? As in, why was it planned? [/Q --end Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]

He wanted an Emperor!

Okay, sorry, bad joke - next one please...

chirinea (47495) on 7/21/2010 1:22 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Edit: I'm dumb and I didn't read it all.

Sciere (930488) on 7/21/2010 1:45 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

He probably means how you can plan that. In most cases a planned one is related to the position of the baby, when it's in a breech (bottom down) or transverse (sideways) position, they can determine that with the photos beforehand. Could be other reasons, but that's the most harmless one.

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/21/2010 2:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Yep, that's what I meant. Because my daughter was born that way too, but it was a measure of last resource, as apparently she was very badly positioned. Still, they had both the OR and the regular delivery room ready up until the last minute because they tried really hard to avoid the C-Section by every means they could.

It was quite a crazy night.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/21/2010 3:59 AM · Permalink · Report

It was quite a crazy night.

Night, eh? For me, it was 8:00am... until God knows when. No C-section, but the baby was 1 month too early, I thought my heart is going to jump out from all that fear and anxiety.

Turned out to be a healhy, fat boy, though :)

You should turn your avatar into a photo of you and your daughter, what's with the Big Daddy anyway :)

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/21/2010 4:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, in our case the baby was about a week or two past the date, so the doctor said they'd give her that last weekend and then they'd have to induce labor. My wife broke water the very next Saturday around 12PM, we went to the hospital, and then she went through quite an odyssey until she finally had the C-Section thing at about 10PM.

I tell you, as I guess most men do, I have that thing when you envy women's capacity to give birth to a whole new human being and whatnot, but I sure do not envy what she had to go through that day, poor girl.

Oddly enough, I missed the birth proper because they wouldn't let me be in the OR back then, though apparently now they do allow the father in. Someone had given me some scrubs as a gift, to wear at the birth moment, but given the way things came out, the thing is still in its bag (we found it again the last time we moved houses).

Funny story (sort of): We were still at the hospital the morning of 9/11. I had to leave the room so the nurses cleaned my wife and such, so I went to this waiting room thing to watch some TV, and the early images of the attack was my first contact with the outside world in four days --Just imagine my situation then. I was like, "Wait, we just gave birth to a girl in the f'ing beginning of WW3? D= ". It was pretty terrifying.

DJP Mom (11333) on 7/21/2010 2:39 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

My heartfelt congratulations, Parf! Wonderful and terrible days await you on this trip ;) Elias is a great name!

@ Oleg, Eliyahu is my brother-in-law's official name, too (he was born in Israel, came to the US as a baby).

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/21/2010 3:51 AM · Permalink · Report

@ Oleg, Eliyahu is my brother-in-law's official name, too (he was born in Israel, came to the US as a baby).

Cool :) Does he still speak Hebrew, I wonder?.. :)

Corn Popper (69027) on 7/21/2010 6:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Congrats and welcome to the club

Parf (7873) on 7/21/2010 12:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Once again, thank you all for the kind words!

We had a planned C-section since our son was breech, and we tried twice to turn him around at the hospital without success. My wife was simply too short, so he was wedged nicely between her pelvic bone and her ribs with absolutely no intention of moving.

We did have the worst luck with the recovery ward after the surgery however... Elias was delivered in the midst of the heat wave we had here, and the hospital which does the planned C-sections didn't have any form of air conditioning. And due to some issues with lack of space, we ended up spending most of the first day in a very small recovery room with two other couple and four nurses, making it a total of 13 people (babies included) with just one small table fan to share amongst us. O_o

Let's just say that it's really nice to be home again!

Oh, and Oleg... I just might change the little avatar picture eventually. I just have to get a nice picture to use first. ;)

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 7/21/2010 1:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Best wishes for you and Elias.

Indra was here (20755) on 7/24/2010 1:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Baby first. Mobygames later.

When he/she's old enough to type:

Mobygames first, parents later.

Jacob Quinn (5) on 8/18/2010 7:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Congrats! Elias is a nice name.