Forums > Off Topic > In the year you were born...

DJP Mom (11333) on 7/25/2010 12:49 AM · Permalink · Report

A friend of mine posted this on another site - don't know if it's new or if I'm just late to the party, but I love it! What Happened in My Birth Year...

Indra was here (20756) on 7/25/2010 1:22 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

How odd:

In 1977, there was no Google yet. Or Yahoo. Or Mobygames, for that matter.

Ah, year of the Fire Snake. Bunch of weirdos. Star Wars and Tolkien. Huzzah!

Havoc Crow (29831) on 7/25/2010 5:47 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think it's a bit condescending (no, I don't need to be reminded that there were no DVDs or Google in 1991, thank you). But perhaps that's because I'm a little more interested in the nearest past than most people (?) nowadays. Who knows, maybe most people would be surprised with the revelation that people were, in fact, reading paper books nineteen years ago.

Also, try 2009 - how vintage! Avatar? Barack Obama? The Sims 3? That's almost the XIXth century!

formercontrib (157510) on 7/25/2010 8:22 AM · Permalink · Report

1969 .... hmmm, wasn't there Sex, Drugs and Rock'n Roll really important ?

So it looks like nothing much has changed :)

xroox (3895) on 7/25/2010 8:29 AM · Permalink · Report

1977 was a good year.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 7/25/2010 12:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Geez was I born into a uninteresting year. (1990) I already knew that before, but that little page just drove it home more clearly. Still, kinda weird to think when I was born, the USSR was still around.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 7/25/2010 4:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Geez was I born into a uninteresting year. (1990) [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Say wat? Germany was reunited and won the World Cup you insensitive Ami! Also: Nelson Mandela outta prison at last, shitloads of interesting small wars, 2nd Persian Gulf War, Iran Contra, the WHO gets around and removes homosexuality from their fucking list of diseases, Garry Kasparov dude of chess. Goodbye Thatcher, goodbye John Gotti.

Anyway, amazing year for me:

Hirohito died, Ted Bundy fried. The Soviets left their quagmire, the Estonians left their flag on some castle. The Academy spills out four Oscars on Rain Main, the Exxon Valdez at least 250k barrels of crude into the Gulf of Alaska. About twenty years later we're finally able to pin a new number one onto the highscore table.

Ayatollah Khomeini finally sees the light. A mob of groupies want to feel his hot body, which nearly falls out of the casket as a result. Also the light see a lot of Chinese students after a stand-off with PLA.

Nintendo Game Boy and SEGA Genesis released in North America. Seinfeld and The Simpsons, the latter now full length, are aired for the first time.

In my hometown people go the streets in demand of democratic reforms. A week later our dear leada, Erich Honnecker, steps down. Another two weeks into the story the Berlin Wall is not that what it once used to be. Nearly a year later Germany is reunited.

Et cetera.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 7/25/2010 5:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Whoops! How could I forget the first Gulf War? Dropped the ball on that one.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 7/26/2010 11:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Now, according to this birth certificate i just found with my name on it, i was born in 1986. so that means:

• the Chernobyl disaster,
  • the Challenger disaster,
  • the voyager 2 space probe probes uranus (no joke!),
  • Mir is launched
  • and Mexico hosted the world cup with Argentina going on to win the tournament.

So a slightly interesting year, then.

lilalurl (733) on 7/26/2010 10:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I am quite disappointed that nobody thought of this one already:

In the YEAR I was born, the nurses all gathered 'round
And they gazed in wide wonder, at the joy they had found
The head nurse spoke up, and she said leave this one alone
She could tell right away, that I was bad to the bone
Bad to the bone
Bad to the bone