🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Off Topic > I hope this new look is..

Gucek (232) on 9/12/2013 12:24 PM · Permalink · Report

..some kind of (bad) joke and that it will be changed. Or that we'll be able to choose the old one. MobyGames was my long-time favorite, but this.. is just sad. Sorry.

Ƒreddƴ (5833) on 9/12/2013 12:46 PM · Permalink · Report

reminds me of a amateur wordpress blog.

GTramp (81965) on 9/12/2013 12:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It became my habit to check what's up on MG several times a day. Today, every time I load this site, something screams in my mind "Run Away!" http://youtu.be/92gP2J0CUjc?t=1m22s

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/12/2013 1:07 PM · Permalink · Report

It's ugly and confusing.

Игги Друге (46653) on 9/13/2013 2:40 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ƒreddƴ wrote--]reminds me of a amateur wordpress blog. [/Q --end Ƒreddƴ wrote--]

No, it's a Wikia page.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/12/2013 2:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Although I like having icons to my collections and contributed games, I do have a proble the lack of space in every area of the site. Trying to browse my collection(s???) is now confusing.

I guess I'll get used to it, but......

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/12/2013 2:35 PM · Permalink · Report

No, it's not a joke, it's the new re-design. If the owners' intention is to drive away those who shaped this website with their contributions, congratulations: you are doing great!

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/12/2013 3:55 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not that bad, is it? There are some real points of criticism that have been brought up back during the first call for feedback (narrow layout, generally too much wasted space, tabular layouts, order of elements) and some things that don't seem to work as they should yet (forum layout, screenshot loading), and some things that definitely need a bit of aesthetic tweaking (logo, favicon). But overall I like it, and if those bugs are ironed out I will get used to it. The stuff I do (almost) daily is okay. The new contributions section is less at-a-glance now, but makes more sense.

To be honest I expected far worse, I don't remember many large website redesigns that weren't a huge step back. I already prepared for some AJAX-ridden "we look like an app now" stuff. Hey, all our information and functionality is still here. Look at some other recent redesigns: IMdb now hides everything in submenus (although you can choose to use the old layout if you're registered); AllMusic multiplied the number of clicks it takes to do any task by the factor 3; Flickr has been made entirely unusable by zooming everything by 500% an letting you AJAX-load every page element by element so that everything takes 10 times longer before the browser (any browser) eventually crashes.

Things are here, they more or less work, and someone's working on it. I'm okay with it.

chirinea (47495) on 9/12/2013 4:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Q --start Daniel Saner wrote-- [/Q --end Daniel Saner wrote--]I'd love if something of this sort was implemented here.

Rola (8483) on 9/12/2013 4:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Then may I ask what are the benefits of the new layout? New functions, fixed old issues etc.?

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 9/12/2013 5:15 PM · Permalink · Report

It seems the mygamer.com bug has been fixed!

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 9/12/2013 4:58 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

My main problem is that none of the bugs and problems we pointed out in December 2012 (when a approvers' only preview was made available) were fixed in the meantime. They just dumped the preview version out with minor improvements (e.g. the descriptions are no longer hidden). This does not make me confident the new layout will ever function correctly if they couldn't be arsed to address the problems in the eight months between.

I don't have a big problem with the new design itself, but I don't see the benefit over the old one either. If it worked, I could live with it. The fixed width does not bother me much because I usually have two windows open while working on MobyGames anyway.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/12/2013 5:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I hate to say it, but I dislike it too. There's no poll, no user submitted recommended game, no user rankings past the top 20 and the sites drop down menus don't work well with Chrome for Android (but that, at least, is not really specific to MG).

It's also very bare and basic. Very lazily designed and the only parts that stick out is the text. Because that's all the site has become.

piltdown_man (236065) on 9/12/2013 5:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Can't say I am a great fan but I know from my development days that most change is initially perceived as bad.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/12/2013 7:28 PM · Permalink · Report

The good news is that users that have almost never spoken in the forums are now speaking up. So far, I've only counted three, so. :p

*sheeid, this is the first time I accidentally clicked on 'report'. That has never happened to me before in almost a decade here in MG.

Yup, this layout must be bad if my subconscious has trouble navigating it. Sorry, Gucek, I reported you. Run! Ruuuuun!

Giu's Brain (503) on 9/12/2013 8:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Haven't been around here in a while... and this new look makes me think it's gonna stay that way.

If this redesign was meant to convince existing users to stop coming back to this site, I think it's doing a great job.

John Chaser (519) on 9/12/2013 11:56 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Giu's Brain wrote--]Haven't been around here in a while... and this new look makes me think it's gonna stay that way.

If this redesign was meant to convince existing users to stop coming back to this site, I think it's doing a great job. [/Q --end Giu's Brain wrote--]

Have to agree with that. Was the new redesign done to fit on smartphones and tablets?

GTramp (81965) on 9/13/2013 1:19 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

It looks OK on my smartphone. I can even go to a game's page and read some info. However, I can't contribute properly. So this design is OK if we assume MG now is a museum of dead things, a tourist attraction.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/13/2013 7:31 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Karthik KANE wrote--] [Q2 --start Giu's Brain wrote--]Haven't been around here in a while... and this new look makes me think it's gonna stay that way.

If this redesign was meant to convince existing users to stop coming back to this site, I think it's doing a great job. [/Q2 --end Giu's Brain wrote--]

Have to agree with that. Was the new redesign done to fit on smartphones and tablets? [/Q --end Karthik KANE wrote--]

Well, if it was they haven't done a good job as all the user avatars in the forum are out of alignment on my 10 inch Android tab.

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 9/13/2013 7:37 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start havoc of smeg wrote--] Well, if it was they haven't done a good job (..) [/Q --end havoc of smeg wrote--] That is a good summary of the whole redesign.

Ashish Deshmukh (12) on 9/13/2013 2:50 AM · Permalink · Report

to admin. If you guys really need help in redesigning the site then please ask you contributors. We have people from all kind of fields including web designers and programmers. I guess with our suggestions and help you guys can really make this an awesome site.

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/13/2013 10:00 AM · Permalink · Report

thread locked... discuss on the .com thread