Forums > Off Topic > Game Changer

Victor Vance (18099) on 5/14/2015 8:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Here is an interesting and promising film project: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4590930/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

If it will be well executed it could be a important step in the public acceptance of gaming. I´m not completely sure what this film will be about exactly. The magazine from which I heard about it first wrote that it would be about the creating of Grand Theft Auto without mentioning which part exactly. The (current) IMDb summary describes it as "The tale of one of the most controversial video games of all time." which makes me think more about a movie about the production of the "Manhunt" franchise btw. One trivia entry on IMDb too states that Sam Houser will be the central protagonist (most likely be played by Daniel Radcliffe) while another one claims it will be a movie about the GTA series.

Well I guess we will have to wait until more information is available. But it´s already an exciting project in my opinion!

Alex Z (1856) on 5/14/2015 9:22 PM · Permalink · Report

We'll see.

Radcliffe's choice of scripts is odd. It may be something good, or it may end up something like Equus - a play mostly noted for its sensationalistic and repulsive nature. Given that the film's pitch talks about "the most controversial video games of all time" I fear it won't be a very serious look into gaming.

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/21/2015 11:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Public acceptance for gaming? Have you not noticed that gaming is the most popular subject on Youtube?

Sciere (930479) on 5/21/2015 9:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Even Minecraft by itself

Daniel Saner (3503) on 5/24/2015 12:31 PM · Permalink · Report

"Take-Two Interactive has filed suit against the BBC for trademark infringement based on their movie currently titled 'Game Changer' as it relates to Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto video game series." (Dark Horizons)

That doesn't sound as though Rockstar feels like the docu-drama is going to depict them in a particularly flattering way.