Forums > Off Topic > Any recommendations for a scanner?

Nightson Blaze (799) on 1/27/2016 9:17 AM · Permalink · Report

As my game collection grew bigger, I was starting to feel the urge to archive them by scanning all the boxes, documents and dumping all the floppy disks or CDs. I already have a WIN98 gaming PC that has both 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives so the only thing missing now is a good scanner. As I have never owned one before, I figured it would be best to come here and ask those who are experienced with scanning game boxes. Any recommendations? Thank!

vedder (70767) on 1/27/2016 5:43 PM · Permalink · Report

I have an Epson Perfection V33 and can heartily recommend it!

Before that I owned an old HP ScanJet which worked perfectly fine as well, but unfortunately never received Windows 7 drivers. In comparison the Epson I have now allows a higher maximum DPI (which I never use) and is faster and more silent. Initially I bought a printer-scanner combi to replace my ScanJet but that was a huge disappointment. It was a Brother DCP-J315W. While it can scan photos really well there is 0 manual control over it. There are smart filters you can't manually override. It turned out that for my pencil drawings (which are greyscale) it would completely destroy the saturation and there was nothing I could do about it. So then I bought the Epson and it's perfect for all types of scanning in my experience.

Rwolf (22823) on 2/5/2016 12:34 AM · Permalink · Report

I also have a Brother printer/scanner (DCP-585CW) which I'm not so pleased with, as it has issues with scanning some yellow hues, they turn out orange for some reason.

Also with these combined printer/scanner things, the ink is also an issue, if you have to buy original ink cartridges instead of refills, it will add more to the long-time cost.

I may look into that Epson thing next time I go printer shopping.

Игги Друге (46653) on 2/4/2016 11:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I have an Epson Perfection 3200 and like it. Not a current model, but there are equally fine follow-ups. One thing to look out for is good depth of field; many physical artifacts aren't totally flat.

Nightson Blaze (799) on 3/11/2016 7:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I ended up buying an Epson Perfection 370 Photo and am satisfied with its output quality so far. You can see my first attempts here and here .