🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Off Topic > Listen to our music!

chirinea (47495) on 8/24/2006 5:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Guys, I'm very proud to announce that my band has just finished the recording of a song. We're recording an entire album, but in little doses: a song per month. We already have some songs recorded, but none in this level of quality...

Well, I'm here to invite you to access our page at myspace, so you all can hear it. The special thing about it is that we paid our tribute to video game music: the main theme is the "Marble Zone" theme, from Sonic (stage 2). But of course, the theme is just part of it, I really like this song, and I would really appreciate your listening.

FYI, I'm playing bass and doing backing vocals (in the last part of the song).

Enjoy, and please, leave a commentary about it.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 8/24/2006 5:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Im not joking when I say this, that song is definitely top-notch. Nice tune, quite catchy. The singing isnt top notch but the guitar and bass is very very good.

O yes, I instantly recognized that theme from Sonic. Very nice!

chirinea (47495) on 8/24/2006 5:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh Matt, thank you so much! I wonder how it is to listen to a song in Portuguese when you're not a native Portuguese speaker... but if you found it catchy, you made my day!

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/24/2006 9:55 AM · Permalink · Report

So you're a bit like that other Brazilian band, Megadriver?

chirinea (47495) on 8/24/2006 3:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Heh, only for that part of being Brazilian and using videogame tunes in our music. Well, in fact, Megadriver's music is only videogame music, ours isn't.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 8/24/2006 8:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Listening to foreign songs here in America is quite popular, ESPECIALLY German songs. Ramstein and Die Prinzen are popular bands here in America, and teens love their songs (A lot of my friends like the song Du Hast)

I actually enjoy songs that I dont know the lyrics, which is why I like either songs with no lyrics or songs in different launguages. I think it allows more room for interpretation based on the mood of the music and preserves my intrigue a lot.

General Error (4329) on 9/23/2006 4:57 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Listening to foreign songs here in America is quite popular, ESPECIALLY German songs. Ramstein and Die Prinzen are popular bands here in America, and teens love their songs (A lot of my friends like the song Du Hast)

I actually enjoy songs that I dont know the lyrics, which is why I like either songs with no lyrics or songs in different launguages. I think it allows more room for interpretation based on the mood of the music and preserves my intrigue a lot. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

WHAAAT? I knew that Rammstein was popular in the US, but -- Die PRINZEN? Their last big hits in Germany were ten years ago! (And I'm quite happy about that, by the way...)

Can you tell me why the people like them? Is it just a local thing or what?

I'm confused.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 9/23/2006 5:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Rammstein is universally popular here in America. I dunno why, kids just love them. They just do.

Die Prinzen is a cult thing. Mostly the kids taking German classes listen to them, and its sort of like an inside joke between them. You don't know how many times my brother talks about Millionar or (ugh) Mein Bester Freund.

I think why kids like them so much is because there songs are so weird. I've heard one Rammstein's songs here in America, it sounds really freaky, and someone told me that in German theyre just singing a cookie recipe or something. And then there's Mein Bester Freund, I dont even have to explain that. That's the great thing about listening to songs in languages you dont understand, they're just so weird to you. You have to love them.

My brother took German classes and he downlaoded them. Now I listen to them. Theyre actually quite good.

General Error (4329) on 9/23/2006 5:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I can imagine that this is the perfect song to learn German with. Simple lyrics, simple music. But it's true, it really makes a difference whether you undrstand the lyrics or not.

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Rammstein is universally popular here in America. I dunno why, kids just love them. They just do.[/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--] Yeah, well, that Rammstein is popular is not such a big wonder to me. Many people still have the image of Germany as some war-hungry, disciplined, evil Nazi nation. (I once gave a drink to some street cleaner in London, he asked my where I came from, I said "Germany", and he said "Oh, Germany? Heil Hitler!" It's probably because for a long time after WW2, Germans only were in films as Nazis. Depressing.) And Rammstein just follows this prejudice.

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]I've heard one Rammstein's songs here in America, it sounds really freaky, and someone told me that in German theyre just singing a cookie recipe or something.[/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--] Hmm, do you mean the Tool song "Die Eier von Satan" (from "Aenima")? This one is a recipe for space cakes, in eeeeevil German. Very funny actually, still I heard they had problems because people thought it was a Nazi song. But Rammstein is pretty much the same, except more heavy metallic.

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 9/23/2006 8:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Hm, I thought Rammstein is making fun of the whole nazi thing rather than being serious.

General Error (4329) on 9/23/2006 9:12 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't think they're taking themselves serious, but I there are lots of people who do...

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 9/23/2006 10:06 PM · Permalink · Report

But that happens no matter what you do. Some people take South Park seriously, for crying out loud!

Shoddyan (15003) on 9/23/2006 10:09 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Marko Poutiainen wrote--]But that happens no matter what you do. Some people take South Park seriously, for crying out loud! [/Q --end Marko Poutiainen wrote--]

How is that even possible? You'd have to seriously not be paying attention to come to that conclusion :)

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 9/24/2006 11:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Good question. But there are people who completely lack a sense of humour.

Michael B (303) on 8/29/2006 5:30 PM · Permalink · Report

It was pretty good, although my slow internet connection reduced the quality. I hope to see your music in Norwegian shops soon.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/24/2006 7:21 PM · Permalink · Report

... wait, you said this was based on Sonic? I thought it was based on a song from Earthbound...

Either way, it wasn't bad. It's much better than a lot of bands on MySpace anyhoo. ;) Let us know when you upload more songs.

chirinea (47495) on 9/24/2006 7:59 PM · Permalink · Report

I'l surely let you know. Tomorrow we're going to start the recording of a new song, must be online in a couple of weeks. Wish us luck!

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 9/24/2006 9:53 PM · Permalink · Report

A lot of people don't really see German bands as Nazis. We love to make fun of stereotypes, but the fact that the guy in London said heil Hitler right in front of you, that's just weird.

And yea, I guess that song was from Tool, I didn't know who sung it. Some people on my bus said it sounded liek a complete Nazi song and its just a cake recipe.

I agree you need to have a sense of humor when listening to Ramstein or watching South Park.

I dunno, you just have to listen to a song in another language. Its just the fact that you have no idea what they're saying, its so mysterious. You can pretty much just invent your own version of what their saying. It thought-provking and creative to me.

For example, the song from Ramstein Amerika. I really only understood the words "We're all living in America...Coca Cola...wonderful" and "micky mouse". From this sentence I figured the song was about American ignorance about how we think America is the best place on Earth. Then a friend tells me its about Westernization and then the band claims its just about Coca-colanization (whatever that means). So its fun, because you get to interpret the songs how you want to based on what you know and the tone of the song.

I reccomend that anyone who hasn't tried to listen to a song that's not in their language, should try it immediately. Its a lot of fun.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/25/2006 6:55 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]A lot of people don't really see German bands as Nazis. We love to make fun of stereotypes, but the fact that the guy in London said heil Hitler right in front of you, that's just weird. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--] It's not only weird, it's downright tactless and stupid. Some people are probably not aware of the fact that most Germans are not exactly proud of having had this guy.

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 9/25/2006 7:13 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Then a friend tells me its about Westernization and then the band claims its just about Coca-colanization (whatever that means).
[/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--] It refers to how the entire world is slowly turning into a singular culture - the one that drinks Coca-Cola and eats at McDonald's.

Answers.com