Forums > Off Topic > Favorite games.

Black_Rose (33) on 12/28/2007 12:56 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hey,

I have a question. I was wondering, what's your all-time favorite games? You don't have to tell if you don't want to. But I'll tell you.

• Blue Dragon
  • Naruto: Rise of a Ninja
  • Super Mario Gaxly
  • Sonic The Hedgehog: Next Gernation
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Burning Earth
  • Final Fantasy 12
  • Nights Into Dreams...
  • Wii Sports
  • Naruto: The Ultimate Ninja 2
  • Sonic Adventure 2

DJP Mom (11333) on 12/28/2007 1:18 AM · Permalink · Report

I think we all know your favorite games by now, Rachel :-D

Black_Rose (33) on 12/28/2007 10:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--]I think we all know your favorite games by now, Rachel :-D [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--]Some of the games aren't listed in the datbase...

Shoddyan (15002) on 1/2/2008 9:23 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Black Rose wrote--] [Q2 --start DJP Mom wrote--]I think we all know your favorite games by now, Rachel :-D [/Q2 --end DJP Mom wrote--]Some of the games aren't listed in the datbase... [/Q --end Black Rose wrote--]

If they're really your favorites, shouldn't you rectify that? ;)

The best game descriptions I write are for the games I know like the back of my.... hey... what the heck is that!?

DreinIX (10446) on 12/28/2007 10:52 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Also most people have them in their rap sheets. On the other hand I liked more games than the ones I mention there but I can't put them in my all-time favourite list cause I've only played a few times or just finished them. It ain't seem right to me to put them next to these (I may as well put them here now that I think about it).

Okami - totally japanese style, music, story everything. How can I not like it? The gameplay also has some pretty interesting ideas.
    Folklore - everything I may say to praise this may be taken as spoilers (some are).
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - I liked its dark atmosphere but was disappointed that it failed to deliver it from the beginning to the end of its duration.
    Final Fantasy IV - The first 2D FF I played and was amazed to see that some of this series qualities were from back then. Loved its tragic characters too. On the other hand I didn't like that half of the crew sacrifice themselves (Oops spoiler-laughs).
    Final Fantasy V - Because it was a lighter experience from most FF (along with X-2) and also didn't gave that feeling of linearity. I liked the job system too.
    Final Fantasy VI - 12 characters in total and all of equal strength (now that's something rare). I like it for more and better reasons but in general I consider it the second best FF ever
    Final Fantasy VIII - I don't like love stories in games but I did like that. I hate to say it but I also found the way Squall thinks similar to another person I know. And it's one of the FF that summons actually can do some serious damage.
    Final Fantasy IX - If I had played it when at 16 I'm sure I would have liked it more. Still, liked its story but I couldn't really enjoy this game for various negative factors (copy US version that freeze etc.).
    Final Fantasy II - It totally abandoned character leveling up and experience points and you became stronger just by using your weapons and magic. Couldn't believe my eyes considering when this game was released. And also the battles weren't that random. Well, the number of steps you had to make to initiate the battle was fixed and always the same so you new when a battle would start. Therefore you can't call these batlles random. No? OK just an idea.
    Kingdom Hearts (1 and 2) - the first for its story and amazing mixture of Disney and Final Fantasy characters and the second for the same things and also it's totally berserk gameplay.
    Grandia II - hated it's isometric perspective but loved it's plot.
    Chrono Trigger - another masterpiece from Square that wish I had more time to play again.
    If the other two episodes were released in Europe I'd probably liked the whole Xenosaga trilogy but...well what can you do. I can say that I did like the complex plot of the second one though.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/28/2007 1:58 PM · Permalink · Report

You can see some of my favorite games here. but some other favorites of mine are, Donkey Kong Country 3 Tomb Raider 2 and Age of Empires 2 even though I haven't finished it. I usally play with the map editor.

mobiusclimber (235) on 12/28/2007 6:31 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

did you want the short list or the long list? here's a relatively short one..

silent hill & sh2
    final fantasy 6, 7, 10
    phantasy star 2 & 4
    shining force 2
    secret of mana
    shining in the darkness
    legend of zelda & loz link to the past
    tales of symphonia
    wild arms
    suikoden 1-3
    ico
    tekken 3
    dragon warrior 1, 7, quest 8 (and 5 is going on this list when i beat it)
    splatterhouse

and there are probably ones that should have gone on there that i forgot, but this IS the short list, after all.

[edit: what is it about mobygame's forums not liking breaks and forcing the poster to write out br code over and over?]

DreinIX (10446) on 12/28/2007 7:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I want the long list

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/28/2007 7:54 PM · Permalink · Report

While one can read my favorite games list in my rap sheet, there are games that I did not include in that list. For example: Colonel's Bequest, Conquests of Camelot, Ecoquest series and Pepper's Adventures in Time have always been my particular favorites amongst Sierra adventure games. Yes I like them even more than King's Quests, Larry's and Space Quests. I even find them to be much better games.

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/28/2007 8:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, if I were to pick the best mid period (with Quest For Glory series and Gabriel Knight series excluded) Sierra game, I would go with Conquests Of Longbow -- brilliant music and a departure from dozes of adventure genre cliches just made it a one fantastic game!

And what do you make of The Dagger of Amon Ra?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/28/2007 9:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Of course QFG and GK series are my most favorite. Just forgot to think about them.

Longbow is also in my rap sheet's favorite games list. Probably my most favorite Sierra game.

What about Dagger of Amon Ra? Hmm... well I love the art deco look of the game and I think they nailed the 20's atmosphere, and as always I think Sierra had really great soundtracks that were ahead of their time (as was Lucasarts with their dynamic use of soundtrack with IMUSE). But the game lost me when it got into the museum. Just found it boring after the first act. And had to force myself to finish it.

Black_Rose (33) on 12/29/2007 12:17 AM · Permalink · Report

It's too bad... When we want to add games to our Play Lists, we can never add the full lists of the games, since we only have 25 spaces to add them into. ... Is that the reason why we have Have Lists and Want Lists?

mobiusclimber (235) on 12/29/2007 12:32 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--]I want the long list [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]

ok you got it...

NES:
    dragon warrior
    abadox
    crystalis (should have been on other list too)
    legend of zelda
    arkista's ring
    mike tyson's punch-out!!!
    king's knight
    guardian legend
    zombie nation (for the sheer lunacy)
    princess tomato in the salad kingdom
    legend of ghost lion
    wizardry

SNES:
    breath of fire 1 & 2
    final fantasy 4 & 6
    illusion of gaia
    legend of zelda: link to past
    soul blazer
    legend of mystical ninja
    mario paint
    secret of mana
    chrono trigger (only ever played the psx version tho)
    actraiser
    super smash tv
    super mario rpg
    wizardy v
    earthworm jim
    arcana
    star ocean

MASTER SYSTEM:
    wonder boy: dragon's trap
    phantasy star

GENESIS:
    phantasy star 2, 3, 4
    shining force 1 & 2
    shining in the darkness
    shadowrun
    master of monsters
    landstalker
    ad&d: warriors of the eternal sun
    sonic 1 & 2
    ecco the dolphin
    jungle & urban strike
    wonder boy in monster world

SATURN:
    shining force 3

and i'll have to finish this long ass list later. XD

Black_Rose (33) on 12/29/2007 12:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Very long! Believe it! =)

mobiusclimber (235) on 12/29/2007 7:17 AM · Permalink · Report

and that's only half...

DREAMCAST:
    shenmue
    grandia 2
    skies of arcadia
    phantasy star online
    resident evil code veronica
    sword of the berzerk: gut's rage
    jet grind radio

PLAYSTATION:
    suikoden 1 & 2
    wild arms
    star ocean: the second story
    final fantasy 7 & 9 & tactics
    threads of fate
    vagrant story
    parasite eve
    silent hill
    resident evil 1-3
    diablo
    galerians
    rpg maker
    dragon warrior 7
    rhapsody: a musical adventure
    vandal hearts
    kartia
    gran turismo
    tekken 3
    sol divide
    darkstalkers 3
    dino crisis
    metal gear solid
    chrono cross
    lunar sssc
    front mission 3
    koudelka

PLAYSTATION 2:
    ico
    final fantasy x & xii
    suikoden 3
    mad maestro
    shadow hearts 1 & 2
    baldur's gate dark alliance
    silent hill 2 & 3 (2 being 10000x better)
    champions of norrath
    dragon quest 8
    gran turismo 3
    katamari damacy
    blood rayne
    devil may cry
    kuon
    shadow of destiny
    harvest moon: save the homeland

GAMECUBE:
    eternal darkness
    tales of phantasia

XBOX:
    doom 3

GAMEBOY (all iterations):
    legend of zelda: link's awakening
    golden sun
    final fantasy adventure

ARCADE:
    tempest
    centipede & milipede
    gauntlet
    galaga
    golden axe
    house of the dead 2 & 3
    ms. pac-man
    asteroids
    the one w/ the clown on the unicycle that has to break the balloons...

TG-16:
    splatterhouse

i'm sure i'm forgetting tons. in fact i think i forgot ristar for the genny. also, i have a ton of games that i have barely started to play or only enough to make sure they work. i get in a lot of stuff from buying game lots to sell so i've got things i just haven't done anything w/ at all.

DreinIX (10446) on 12/29/2007 11:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Are all these amongst your favourites? Cause I thought my list was already too long.

From pure curiosity have you finished Vagrant Story? I started playing it and really liked it but reached a point where you have to fight a boss and couldn't beat it. Stopped trying after a while (9 tries or so - I'll beat it someday).

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 12/29/2007 4:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Vagrant Story was a very frustrating experience for me... I really couldn't enjoy it. Although I found the overall premise very intriguing.

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/29/2007 6:35 PM · Permalink · Report

However, the style with which the combats were presented is a nice substitute to boring face-to-face stand offs of the majority of jRPGs. Reminded me somewhat of Fallout.

Also, surprisingly heavy use of engine-powered cut-sequences (gotta love those comics-style bubble texts and motion blur (!) on PSX) was very refreshing and unusual for post-FFVII Square.

DreinIX (10446) on 12/29/2007 6:49 PM · Permalink · Report

And one I forgot to mention somewhere else (laughs)

Black_Rose (33) on 12/29/2007 6:56 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--]And one I forgot to mention somewhere else (laughs) [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]What is it?

DreinIX (10446) on 12/29/2007 7:00 PM · Permalink · Report

That was for a certain person that will understand what I meant when he sees it. Sorry Rachel.

Black_Rose (33) on 12/29/2007 7:16 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--]That was for a certain person that will understand what I meant when he sees it. Sorry Rachel. [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]That's okay.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 12/31/2007 8:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Absolutely, the game was packed with original features, and it also had heavy atmosphere and a very promising story. However, I simply couldn't stomach the gameplay... much too complex and challenging for a dungeon crawl; much too monotonous and shallow for a real RPG, on the other hand.

It looked as if the story and the gameplay were made by completely different developers. I found the gameplay a hindrance to the story sequences rather than a natural part of the game.

Black_Rose (33) on 12/29/2007 1:39 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Sweet. You know a lot about games. Believe it!

mobiusclimber (235) on 12/29/2007 8:11 PM · Permalink · Report

i never beat vagrant story. i got to the end boss but couldn't beat him. love the game tho. it had its share of flaws, but several of the games i listed do too. and yes those are games i'd call "favorite games" as opposed to "so-so games" or "godawful games." i think any game that i'd enjoy picking up and playing again is a "favorite game" for me. the top tier are the ones i listed in the short list (except i forgot a few). sadly, i have a bunch of games (about 10% the total amount of that list) that i own but haven't played yet. some of them will end up on that list (dragon warrior 2-4, for instance).

Solid Flamingo (1432) on 12/30/2007 4:56 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - First time I played MGS2 was great, and with added missions it makes the perfect game for me. Solid (no pun intended) gameplay, great story, excellent graphics, hours of gameplay - what more can I ask for?

Little Big Adventure 1 and 2 - Simply beautiful games with unique gameplay, I especially liked the first one that has a darker feeling but also the second is great and the move to full 3D was done properly, unlike other 3D games back in the '90s.

Fallout 1 and 2 - Now really a RPG guy but those games captured my heart. I originally bought Fallout 2 only because of the screenshots on the box and I thought it's a completely different game, hehehe. I simply adore the fact you have hardly any boundaries and can go (nearly) whenever you want wherever you want. I suppose the post-apocalyptic setting helped too.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - I'm a fan of this game mostly for the online experience. I was never much of an online gamer but this game got me spending hours online with its unique FPS experience mixed with saber fighting and force mayhem.

Final Fantasy VII - I simply love the story, the characters, the music and the whole materia system. But I suppose I don't need to convince most people why FFVII is great.

Half-Life 2 - Most FPS make me lose interest after a few hours of gameplay, but HL2's unique storytelling, brilliant action sequences and gorgeous locations made me play it all the way to the end. Unfortunately Episodes 1 and 2 didn't have the same effect on me.

The Longest Journey - A refreshing breeze in a time where classic quests aren't too common, TLJ offered an exciting story, excellent puzzles (unlike some other modern quests....coughsyberiacough) and a superb soundtrack. Too bad the sequel wasn't too much on the gameplay field and left us with such a cliffhanger.

Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2 - Hilarious old school quests with great puzzles and jokes on the way. Haven't properly played Simon 3D but from what I did play I'm not missing a lot.

DudeOfMonson (97) on 1/6/2008 2:15 AM · Permalink · Report

WHOA! Does anyone else like playing Bomberman 4 player battle mode?!?! Can't believe it wasn't mentioned once! It's on a ton of consoles.