🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > 'credited as DSP'

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 8/9/2014 5:54 AM · Permalink · Report

I know several people here who work on credits have industry contacts, so I don't doubt this is accurate, but I noticed that "DSP" had been added as an alias for Kazuo Sawa and this game now says he's "credited as DSP". DSP was in fact a company, so wouldn't it make more sense to leave the credit to DSP, and add Sawa as an "uncredited" sound composer if he indeed did the music?

Even if a company consisted only of one person (which in this case seems to be the case), it doesn't really make sense to say the company is an alias for the person.

Rik Hideto (473489) on 8/9/2014 9:41 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I see nothing wrong with the "Kazuo Sawa (credited as DSP)", the only thing that should be changed is the classification. "Companies" to "Audio".

But in this case, I really have no preference, as long as Kazuo Sawa is credited (because he is the music composer), it is fine. Just do what you think is the most "adequate" then, so that everyone can be happy.

In few other games the info is displayed as "Kazuo Sawa (DSP)". As far as I know DSP is always associated with Kazuo Sawa, even in the most "recent" games (Ridegear Guybrave is a good example.)

Btw I didn't know that the company page DSP (created by you) even existed (so far only a single game). And that's why I added DSP as an aka for Mr. Sawa. Sorry, my bad, I guess.

Will you (through correction) add "DSP" to Saber Marionette J: Battle Sabers, Galaxy Wars and Love Quest (and etc?) release info then, or will I have to do it?

EDIT: What the hell, I just noticed that the credits for "Saber Marionette J: Battle Sabers" was added by me? I don't even remember about it and it was only three/four months ago...... :)

vedder (70822) on 8/9/2014 1:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Some people sleepwalk, more productive people sleepcontribute!

GTramp (81964) on 8/9/2014 2:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Where's that "like' button?!

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 8/9/2014 7:51 PM · Permalink · Report

DSP was a sound production company that Sawa started in 1993, and should at some point be added to the release info for the games he worked on in the following years. There isn't really anything known about it, but I suspect it was a vehicle for his freelance work and he was the only "employee".

Rik Hideto (473489) on 8/10/2014 7:46 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Not sure if he was really the only one. In another SNES game, it appears as "DSP Team" instead of just "DSP":

http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/images/5/59/Chinhai_-SFC-_Credits.png

http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?profile=set&selected=14171

Maybe one day he will be contactable, who knows. Right now for me (and everyone -VGM lovers-) DSP = Kazuo Sawa-only.