As a demon army besieges his village, a young ninja ventures through a cursed world, to deliver a scroll paramount to his clan’s survival.
Leveraging players expectations as a core game design ingredient, The Messenger is first presented as an 8-bit action platformer with a simple story, that unravels into an epic time traveling tale, eventually revealing itself as a 16-bit Metroidvania game packed with replay value and deadpan humor.
- An epic ninja adventure with challenging gameplay and tight controls
- Legit 8-bit and 16-bit art and music reminiscent of your favorite NES and SNES games
- Memorable cast of (often silly) villains, bosses and associates
- Catchy soundtrack by renowned chiptune composer Rainbowdragoneyes, made in Famitracker
- Character upgrades, new abilities, hidden levels and story arcs to discover
- Challenging and visceral gameplay where mastery is a thing to behold
Source: Steam Store Description
Credits (Nintendo Switch version)
223 People (17 developers, 206 thanks) · View all
|Music and Sound Design|
|Level Art and Backgrounds|
|Character Art and Animation|
|Shout-out to the rest of the Sabotage Crew|
|[ full credits ]|
- The Game Awards
- 2018 – Best Independent Game – Nominated
- 2018 – Best Debut Indie Game – Won
- 2018 – Indie Game of the Year – Nominated
Related Sites +
The Messenger Boss Guide
Tyler describes strategies for how to defeat each boss
- MobyGames ID: 106052
- Steam App: 764790
Know about this game? Add your expertise to help preserve this entry in video game history!
Contributors to this Entry
Game added by Kam1Kaz3NL77.
Xbox One, Windows Apps, PlayStation 4 added by Rik Hideto.
Additional contributors: JudgeDeadd, A.J. Maciejewski.
Game added August 31st, 2018. Last modified February 22nd, 2023.