Panzer General Trivia (3DO)
InspirationAccording to SSI designer Chuck Kroegel, the Japanese strategy series Daisenryaku was the primary inspiration for the non-traditional wargame design of Panzer General. Says Kroegel: "I can honestly say that if we hadn't played Daisen Raiku (sic), Panzer General would never have happened, period." [Retro Gamer magazine, Load 43]
RatingsOn June 29, 1996, the DOS version of Panzer General was put on the infamous German index by the BPjS. This only applies to the original version, which had a problem with the manual; re-releases with a modified manual and the other platform releases are not effected.
For more information about what this means and to see a list of games sharing the same fate, take a look here: BPjS/BPjM indexed games.
- Computer Gaming World
- May 1995 (Issue #130) – Wargame of the Year
- May 1995 (Issue #130) – Best Voice-Over Acting (for Barry Lank's performance as commanding officer)
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) - #15 in 150 Best Games of All Time" list
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #8 Best Way To Die In Computer Gaming (getting shot after failing a mission)
- September 1997 (Issue #157) – Introduced into the Hall of Fame
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #46 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- PC Gamer
- April 2005 issue - #42 in the 50 Best Games of All Time list
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1995 – Best Strategy Game in 1994