DescriptionPokémon Yellow, along with Pokémon Blue and Pokémon Red forms the first generation of Pokémon games. You control a number of fictional animals known as Pokémon and must travel the land using your current Pokémon to defeat and capture more.
There are 151 Pokémon that fall into various types such as fire, water and grass that have a complicated rock-paper-scissors relationship. You come across a series of town, each of which contains a gym where you must do battle with other Pokémon trainers. Each gym specializes in a different type of Pokémon. After beating each gym, you are given a new ability that lets you travel to new areas.
The object of the game is to defeat all eight gym leaders, or ultimately, to catch all the varieties of Pokémon. Some of them are not actually catchable in Yellow, so you must use the Game Boy link function to trade with friends using Red and Blue to complete your collection.
Pokémon Yellow differs from the other first-generation games because it is based on the Pokémon anime series. The main character looks like Ash and he starts the game with Pikachu, rather than choosing a Pokémon as in all other games in the series. Character graphics throughout the game are based on designs from the series and it includes Jesse, James and their Meowth, which the other games do not.
- "Pokémon Version Jaune: Edition Spéciale Pikachu" -- French title
- "Pokémon Versione Gialla: Speciale Edizione Pikachu" -- Italian title
- "Pokémon: Gelbe Edition - Special Pikachu Edition" -- German title
- "Pokémon Edición Especial Pikachu: Edición Amarilla" -- Spanish title
- "Pocket Monsters: Pikachu" -- Japanese title
- "ポケットモンスター ピカチュウ" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Fishing
- Gameplay feature: Gambling
- Gameplay feature: Importable characters
- Gameplay feature: Monster capture / training
- Games made into comics
- Games made into TV series
- Games released as complementary versions
- Inspiration: TV cartoons
- Pokémon main RPG series
- Pokémon universe
There are no reviews for the Nintendo 3DS release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|Nintendo Life||Apr 29, 2016||90|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|About the trailer...||3||Harmony♡ (20656)
Sep 12, 2017
|World-wide release might actually be appropriate||2||Harmony♡ (20656)
Feb 29, 2016
- Retro Gamer
Arbitrary Code ExecutionBy corrupting their save file and manipulating the resulting item data, it is possible for the player to reprogram the game while playing it, in a process called arbitrary code execution. While arbitrary code execution is possible with several games, including other Pokémon titles, it was two tool-assisted speedruns of this game that brought the practice into the public eye.
Virtual Console AlterationsPokémon Yellow and its counterpart versions were rereleased for the 3DS Virtual Console to celebrate the Pokémon franchise's 20th anniversary in 2016. Since the Nintendo 3DS isn't compatible with the long-obsolete Game Link Cable, these releases use the system's local wireless features for link trades and battles. Several attack animations have also been toned down for the safety of players with photosensitive epilepsy or other sensory conditions, and Jynx's sprite was updated to the creature's modern coloration due to the original having been accused of resembling a racist caricature. Lastly, the Pikachu's Beach minigame no longer requires the player to own a Pikachu with the move Surf, since obtaining that move on a Pikachu would require the impossible task of connecting to Pokémon Stadium for the N64.
Related Web Sites
- Hints for Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow (The hints here will help you solve the game.)
- Pokèmon Elite 2000 (A Pokèmon fan site good at covering the latest news about coming and existing Pokèmon games.)
- Psypokes (A comprehensive Pokémon site that pretty much covers everything there is to know about the games.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.