Not an American user?
DescriptionIn this game you are Rif, a young fox, who is falsely accused of stealing the magical orb of storms. This orb is capable of predicting when storms will arrive. Obviously this is important to farmers, but it is just as important to the boar tribe, for their supply of mud.
You'll have to find the Orb and the real thief, to clear your name, save your girlfriend and prevent war with the boar tribe. While your doing this you'll encounter a much larger mystery: What is the origin of the tribes? Legend has it that the humans gave the animals the power of thought and speech, and then vanished. Who were they and what happened to them?
- "インヘリット ジ アース 嵐のオーブ" -- Japanese spelling
- "妙狐神探" -- Traditional Chinese spelling
- "Inherit the Earth" -- GOG.com title
- "Erben der Erde: Die große Suche" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
- Animals: Foxes
- Animals: Raccoons
- Games with manual lookup copy protection
- Sound engine: AIL/Miles Sound System
|The end has come... and now Furries rule the earth!||DOS||Zovni (10629)|
|A magical premise, improperly fulfilled||DOS||Silver Light (3)|
|What COULD have been.||DOS||Salim Farhat (68)|
|Amiga Games||Amiga CD32||Aug, 1995||92 out of 100||92|
|Amiga Joker||Amiga||Apr, 1995||81 out of 100||81|
|Adventure Corner||DOS||Dec 26, 2010||80|
|Score||DOS||Aug, 1994||80 out of 100||80|
|Play Time||Amiga||May, 1995||78 out of 100||78|
|Amiga Games||Amiga||Apr, 1995||78 out of 100||78|
|Amiga Games||Amiga||May, 1995||76 out of 100||76|
|Play Time||DOS||Sep, 1994||70 out of 100||70|
|Adventure Classic Gaming||DOS||Nov 21, 2010||60|
|The Good Old Days (Staff Reviews only)||Amiga||May 05, 2018||2 out of 6||33|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Copy protectionIn the original floppy disk version of the game, a rat in the ornate Sundial Room would ask questions of Rif (the main character), and the answers had to be found in the manual. In later versions without copy protection, the room is just empty.
Cut contentThe original storyboard for this game included a wrecked airplane outside of the Human Ruins. The wrecked airplane was probably removed from the game when the decision was made to make the Ruins an isometric tile map instead of a stage.
- During the game, the main character (Rif) looks at a pair of huge doors leading to the Sanctuary of the Orb, and comments on their "huge knockers" (large door-knockers). According to the official guidebook, this is a reference to the movie Young Frankenstein.
- The logo of the original game developer, The Dreamers Guild, appears as a stained-glass piece hanging in the ferret glassmaster's home. That piece of artwork really exists.
- One of the tales that Rif tries to tell to Prince is a story about "three brothers". This actually refers to another computer game named The Faery Tale Adventure: Book I, developed by David "Talin" Joiner, who also happens to be the director of Inherit the Earth.
- The Dog Castle includes a parody of the well-known "poker-playing dogs" painting. Such paintings have become a cottage industry, with people offering to draw versions of the painting featuring your pets.
- In the game, Tycho Northpaw claims to have a very bad sense of smell. This is appropriate, because the character's namesake (16th-century Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe) lost his nose in a duel with a fellow Danish nobleman. It's said that Tycho Brahe walked around with a prosthetic nose made of silver.
Version differencesThe Amiga CD-version contains a version for the CD32, one for A1200/A4000 computers (which is identical to the CD32 version, concerning game features) and an ECS version with lower color depth and no voiceovers. The later version can be played on CDTV machines!
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 02/1996 – #3 Best Adventure in 1995 (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Balmoral's Walkthrough (for the original release of Inherit the Earth)
- Fan-made Soundtracks (Two fans of the game, Paul Wilkinson and James Woodcock, beautifully remade some of the music tracks of the game and posted them in the Wyrmkeep forums in early 2007. The forum topics are old and the download links are long dead, but a pack with the tracks can be downloaded from this fan-site of a different Dreamer's Guild game.)
- Inherit the Earth webcomic (A webcomic that picks up where the game ended, drawn by Allison Hershey, who was the art director for the original game. ITE concept art is also being posted.)
- Official Windows Web Site (Wyrmkeep's site - download updates and purchase the game.)
- ScummVM (Get "Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb", as well as many other adventure games, to run on modern systems by using ScummVM, a legal and free program.)
- Universal Hint System Solution (Questions and answers give you just as much information as you need before the final solutions are revealed.)
- Walkthrough (Step by step guide with updates to include the newer Windows version)
DOS Credits (57 people)
53 developers, 4 thanks