Description official descriptions
The planet Pandora isn't much more than a desert filled with bandits, mercenaries and adventurers. Their goal: the legendary vault which is said to be filled with treasures beyond imagination hidden on the planet by an ancient highly advanced alien race. One of those fortune-seekers is the protagonist, who has one advantage: the guidance of the Guardian of the vault.
Borderlands is a mixture of a first-person shooter and a role-playing game, somewhat similar in concept to Hellgate: London. At the beginning of the game the player chooses between one of four characters:
- Roland: A former soldier. He likes to play with rifles and shotguns and has a Scorpio-Turret at his disposal to keep his back clear.
- Lilith: A Siren and Phasewalker. She can turn invisible and fights with extreme speed.
- Mordecai: A hunter. He prefers to snipe enemies from a distance and has access to a bird of prey called Bloodwing.
- Brick: A Berserker. He doesn't care much for guns and instead uses his fists to win all arguments.
Each of the four characters has three different skill trees available, filled with talents that e.g. increase bullet damage or allow the player to resurrect a friend in cooperative game. The player gets one skill point to spend at each level up, which is earned through gaining enough experience points by killing enemies and fulfilling quests for the various NPCs inhabiting the planet Pandora. To kill all those enemies and survive the journey, the protagonist will find weapons, ammunition, useful items like shields or medipacks, upgrades and money on the enemies he or she kills, in chests scattered around the landscape, or purchased at vending machines. Weapons and shields come in different types of quality, can have several different types of attributes and mostly come with a level requirement. The maximum level a character can reach is 50.
Since the protagonist has to travel around much, he or she has a buggy available armed with a machine gun and a rocket launcher or heavy machine gun at later levels. Since the game also features a drop in/drop out-coop-mode for up to four players, the buggies have enough room for two players with one using the mounted turret and the other driving around the vehicle.
- 3D Engine: Unreal Engine 3
- Borderlands series
- BPjS / BPjM indexed games
- Gameplay feature: New Game+
- Games made into comics
- Japanese Xbox 360 games with full English support
- Middleware: Bink Video
- Physics Engine: PhysX
- Premium Games label
- Software Pyramide releases
- Xbox 360 Classics releases
- Xbox 360 Platinum Hits releases
See any errors or missing info for this game?
You can submit a correction, contribute trivia, add to a game group, add a related site or alternate title.
Credits (Xbox 360 version)
786 People (424 developers, 362 thanks) · View all
|Game Design Director|
|Art Team Lead|
|Level Design Team Lead|
|Associate Creative Director|
|Director of Central Development|
|Environment Art Director|
|Technical Art Director|
|[ full credits ]|
1001 Video Games
Borderlands appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
The game was originally developed with a realistic look. The graphics were changed to cel-shading only six months before release.
In the German version, many violent effects were removed. This includes blood effects for most enemies; splatter effects when driving over an enemy; cutting off limbs and animations for fire, acid and shock attacks.
- 2009 - The "Gun Porn" Award for Most Gratifying Gratuitous Violence (Editors' Choice)
- 2009 - The "Gun Porn" Award for Most Gratifying Gratuitous Violence (Readers' Choice)* 4Players
- 2009 – #2 Most Humorous Trailer of the Year
- 2009 - Best Original Game
- Game Informer
- 2009 - Best Co-Op Game (Editors' Choice)
- 2009 - Best Co-Op Game (Readers' Choice)* GamePro
- 2009 - Best New Series
- 2009 - The Epic Loot Reward
- 2009 - The Up the Creek Without a Patch Award
- 2009 - Best PC Shooter
Related Sites +
Entry in Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
A wiki-based database of the <i>Borderlands</i> series.
Info regarding Demiurge's involvement.
Gearbox's official website for Borderlands (multi-lingual)
Gearbox's official website for Borderlands (multi-lingual).
Trophy guide for Borderlands
X360A achievement guide
X360A's achievement guide for Borderlands.
- MobyGames ID: 43378
- Steam App: 8950
Know about this game? Add your expertise to help preserve this entry in video game history!
Contributors to this Entry
Game added by Sicarius.
OnLive added by firefang9212. Xbox One added by MAT.
Additional contributors: formercontrib, Solid Flamingo, Big John WV, Patrick Bregger, Starbuck the Third, FatherJack, firefang9212, R3dn3ck3r.
Game added November 20th, 2009. Last modified April 14th, 2023.