Mass Effect 2
- Mass Effect 2 (2010 on Windows, Xbox 360, 2016 on Xbox One)
Description official descriptions
Mass Effect 2 is the first game in the series to appear on a PlayStation console and it was released almost a year after the versions for other platforms. The game comes on a single Blu-ray and has additional, previously released content included on the disc.
The Blu-ray disc contains:
- Mass Effect 2 (base game)
- Mass Effect 2: Kasumi - Stolen Memory (DLC)
- Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker (DLC)
- Mass Effect 2: Overlord (DLC)
- Dragon Age: Blood Dragon Armor (new costume through DLC for Dragon Age: Origins)
A single-use code to access the online Cerberus Network is provided with each copy of a game.
Things that need to be downloaded from Cerberus Network in order to play:
- Intro comic which tells the story of the original Mass Effect and lets you decide certain choices which will impact this game
- Mass Effect 2: Firewalker Pack (DLC)
- Mass Effect 2: Zaeed - The Price of Revenge
- Mass Effect 2: Normandy Crash Site
- Various new weapons and armour
The included DLC packs introduce new missions, an expanded storyline, and new vehicles, weapons and items. Next to a tweaked engine for more graphical polish, there is an additional introduction. Players of the original Mass Effect could carry over a number of choices from the first title using a savegame. These involve events such as a romantic interest, a sacrifice near the end of the game, the main character's appearance and the statistics that had been built up. To resolve that and to bring PS3 owners up to speed with the storyline of the original game, a new chapter called Genesis was added. After determining the gender and look for Commander Shepard and playing the main introduction, Genesis is accessed. It is presented as an interactive comic where players get to relive the events of the first game and also determine the six major decisions that are carried over to the second game.
- 3D Engine: Unreal Engine 3
- Gameplay feature: Character development - Skill distribution
- Gameplay feature: Dating / Romance
- Gameplay feature: Karma meter
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- Gameplay feature: New Game+
- Japanese PlayStation 3 games with full English support
- Mass Effect 2 series
- Mass Effect series
- Middleware: FaceFX
- Middleware: Scaleform GFx SDK
- Middleware: Umbra 3
- Middleware: Wwise
- Physics Engine: PhysX
- Protagonist: Visually customizable character
- Software Pyramide releases
Credits (PlayStation 3 version)
600 People (581 developers, 19 thanks) · View all
|Senior Project Manager|
|Lead Cinematic Animator|
|Lead In-Game Animator|
|[ full credits ]|
Average score: 93% (based on 59 ratings)
Average score: 4.2 out of 5 (based on 25 ratings with 1 reviews)
Engaging storyline that continues from the first game with complex characters and plenty of choices that affect the outcome
Stunning visuals, especially the environments and character animations
Excellent voice acting that brings the characters to life
The combat system is significantly improved, offering a greater variety of weapons, abilities, and enemies
The ability to import saved games from the first game to continue the story with the same character
The game's loading times are quite long, which can disrupt the pacing of the story
The PlayStation 3 version doesn't include all the downloadable content (DLC) that was released for other platforms
The mining mini-game quickly becomes tedious and repetitive
The Bottom Line
Now 2023, Mass Effect 2 is over a decade old, which is a long time in the gaming industry. While the game's storyline and characters are timeless, the graphics and gameplay mechanics may feel dated compared to newer games. Players who are used to modern games with advanced graphics and gameplay mechanics may find Mass Effect 2's visuals and gameplay to be less impressive.
Mass Effect 2 for PlayStation 3 offers an unforgettable space adventure that's well worth the investment of time and energy. The engaging storyline, complex characters, and stunning visuals make it a must-play for any science-fiction fan. While the long loading times and lack of DLC may be disappointing for some players, the improved combat system and the ability to continue the story with the same character more than make up for these minor shortcomings.
PlayStation 3 · by WONDERなパン (10205) · 2023
- GamePro (Germany)
- 2011 - #2 Console RPG of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- MobyGames ID: 50427
Are you familiar with this game? Help document and preserve this entry in video game history!
Contributors to this Entry
Game added by Sciere.
Additional contributors: Patrick Bregger.
Game added February 14th, 2011. Last modified August 13th, 2023.