🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder! > Color number in the Amiga version

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 8/13/2014 9:35 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I have a little question, perhaps someone who knows more about Amigas or just has an appropriate graphic program could help. I wonder how many colors are there in the Amiga version. I just can't help wondering - it doesn't look like 16 colors to me, rather like something between PC's EGA and VGA standards. The palette is definitely different than in the Amiga version of KQ4...
I don't know how to count colors. My basic graphic program is Paint XP for Windows 7 (I hate new MS Paint), plus some use of GIMP and Irfan View.

formercontrib (157510) on 8/13/2014 10:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Germans most popular video games magazine Power Play talked about 32 colors (see screenshot comment) in 1992 - review can be found here: http://www.kultboy.com/index.php?site=t&id=10812.

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 8/13/2014 10:59 AM · Permalink · Report

It's 32 colors, but you don't need to count 'em to figure it out. :P

That's the maximum for "standard" OCS video modes. For future reference though, if you want to count the colors in an image, just grab ImageMagick and type <tt>identify -format %k [imagefile]</tt>.

Trypticon (11024) on 8/13/2014 12:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

IrfanView displays the color count of a screenshot under Image -> Information.

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/15/2014 12:14 AM · Permalink · Report

And it's about bloody time Sierra got into their thick skulls that the PC Jr isn't the pinnacle of graphics hardware.