Forums > Game Forums > Dino Eggs > Author of original 1983 "Dino Eggs" reviving game

David Schroeder (2) on 6/11/2013 9:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Hello. This is David Schroeder. In 1983, I wrote the original DINO EGGS game (for Apple II, Commodore 64, IBM).

I am pleased to announce that this game is coming back - expanded and re-imagined - as DINO EGGS: REBIRTH. I hope you wil enjoy this video about the game. (http://youtu.be/fxBWO1651Ss)

If the early 1980's were a "golden age" for computer games, perhaps it was because a single artist could create a full-featured game by himself. Every pixel, every tick of the speaker, every byte of self-modifying code was born of the same vision.

In writing the original "Dino Eggs," I took pride in packing everything I could into those big floppy disks, that 48K of memory, and those six screen colors on the old Apple ][.

It is not simple to bring an 8-bit game "up to date." It is like adapting a story to an entirely new medium. I hope you'll enjoy the results.

We're aiming for a Windows PC release later this year.

Thanks for reading...

David H Schroeder (www.davidhschroeder.com)

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 6/12/2013 4:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Excellent - love the original! Will be on the lookout for Rebirth. Always good to see oldschool developers bringing their creations back to life after all these years.

I don't know how many here are into early platformers, but for those of you who are - do keep an eye open for this one.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 6/14/2013 4:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start David Schroeder wrote--]If the early 1980's were a "golden age" for computer games, perhaps it was because a single artist could create a full-featured game by himself. [/Q --end David Schroeder wrote--]

My thoughts exactly. With the advances in technology, designers started to need separate artists, musicians, programmers, etc. it lead to bigger teams, bigger budgets, the necessity of publishing deals, and in turn those publisher's understandable desire to reduce risks, and ask the developers to play it safe.

One of the problems is that all this additional manpower, budget and focus usually flows into graphics and technical gimmicks, not design or writing. Which is why of the big-budget titles, the more interesting ones that felt like a real unified work of art were often those with an auteur figure to direct everyone's efforts, and some leeway given by the publisher.

But it's nice that this has started changing in the other direction again. Frameworks and middleware keep individuals and smaller teams from having to re-write the same stuff over and over again, helping them concentrate on what makes their games unique. And of course distribution has changed to the benefit of independents.

Good luck with your remake, I'm keeping an eye on it!

David Schroeder (2) on 6/26/2013 10:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks VILE and DANIEL for your thoughtful comments!

As we finish "Dino Eggs: Rebirth" I'll post new info on www.dinoeggsrebirth.com

Best Wishes, David H Schroeder "Crisis Mountain" "Dino Eggs" "Short Circuit"

Cantillon (75982) on 7/9/2013 2:38 PM · Permalink · Report

How about also adding it to MobyGames? :)