DescriptionSpace Shuttle is a simulation game where you are the pilot of space shuttle Discovery. Your goal is to launch the Discovery, establish an orbit around the Earth, open the cargo bay doors and recover a satellite to perform repairs, and finally land the Discovery successfully, all while using as little fuel as possible. Each time the complete mission is accomplished, it will then repeat at a higher difficulty level (in the higher difficulty levels the satellite has a more erratic flight path). The game is played from a first person perspective in the space shuttle cockpit where you can control everything from the shuttles engines to cargo bay doors. When the game is over you will be given a ranking which is based on the number of successful dockings and the amount of fuel that was used. In addition to the full flight mode, two easier game variations (autosimulator and simulator mode) are included. The autosimulator mode is the easiest; the computer will control the flight (you can take over at any point you wish) and the controls are simplified. The simulation mode is closer to the full game, however you have an unlimited amount of fuel so there is no time pressure, and the computer will help compensate for inaccurate maneuvering.
There are no promo images for this game
- "Space Shuttle" -- Spanish Title
Part of the Following Group
There are no reviews for this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
Emergency LandingDuring the development of the simulator, one of Activision's testers landed the Shuttle using just the smaller engines, which are normally only used for minor adjustments.
Steve Kitchen was puzzled that the simulated shuttle would allow that to happen, so he went back to NASA and asked them to try the same thing on their own simulators. They concurred that it was indeed possible, and so landing the shuttle in an emergency using the smaller engines was added to the actual Space Shuttle’s emergency procedures manual! (From the Bird Sanctuary)
Related Web Sites
- AtariMania (Atari 2600) (for Atari 2600: game entry database; downloadable release; cassette inlay; advertisement; digitalized instructions; videos; additional material)
- AtariMania (Atari 5200) (for Atari 5200: game entry database; downloadable release; advertisement; catalogs)
- AtariMania (Atari 8-bit) (for Atari 8-bit: game entry database; downloadable release; cassette inlay; advertisement; digitalized manual and catalogs)
- CPC-Power (in French) (for Amstrad CPC: game database entry; package material; manual digitalizations; magazine reviews; downloadable releases; additional material)
- Lemon 64 (for C64: game entry database; txt manual; cover art digitalization; additional material)
- MSX Generation (for MSX: package material digitalizations; additional material)
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (encyclopaedic entry for combined platforms)
- World of Spectrum (for ZX Spectrum: additional material including – cassette inlay, advertisement, instructions; magazine references; magazine adverts)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.