Forums > Game Forums > Wolfenstein 3D > sorting this game out correctly

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 8/23/2012 8:39 AM · Permalink · Report

This description says that the 30 SNES/Jaguar levels were previously sold separately as the second encounter for Mac and the 60 PC level were the third encounter? What was the first encounter? The entry for the SNES/Jaguar version suggests the Macintosh version had the same levels.

Terok Nor (41968) on 8/23/2012 9:29 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

It is sorted out correctly.

There were three Macintosh versions.

First Encounter was only a demo, without any unique levels, so we don't list it. Second Encounter was the Jaguar/SNES level set, sold via mail order. Third Encounter was the original PC level set, also sold via mail order.

This listing is a retail release, combining Second and Third Encounters. 3DO and Apple IIgs have the same 90 levels, so they belong with this one, too.

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 8/24/2012 11:42 PM · Permalink · Report

It been 17 years or so since I played the Mac demo. Are you saying it contained unique levels?

Terok Nor (41968) on 8/25/2012 8:40 AM · Permalink · Report

No, exactly the opposite. First Encounter had the first three levels of Second Encounter, but no unique levels.

Beware of what you read about the Mac versions online, though. There is a lot of misinformation. I did my research using primary sources. i.e. Usenet postings from the time, including input from publisher and developer.