Not an American user?
DescriptionOne day, a kiwi tribe was having fun and games outside the zoo, only to be kidnapped by the evil-minded Leopard Seal, who plans to sell them at the black market. Fortunately, during the kidnapping process, Tiki, leader of the tribe, managed to escape the sack, and her job is to rescue Phee-Phee and the other kiwis scattered around New Zealand, and are held in cages in various locations that include Auckland, Rotorua, Waitomo Caves, Strait Cook, and Mt. Cook.
If Tiki doesn't rescue a kiwi in a limited amount of time, the devil will appear and try to kill her. When Tiki reaches the outskirts of each city, except Strait Cook, there is a boss waiting to meet Tiki, and kill her by using their own choice of weapons. Also making the rescue mission difficult are several nasties that attempt to throw their own weapons, like bombs and arrows, at her. To defeat these enemies, Tiki shoots at them using her crossbow and arrows. More often than not, when Tiki shoots at enemies, they will leave behind pieces of fruit that she can pick up for points. However, it is likely that Tiki may get other weapons or the letters E, X, T, E, N, and D. Collecting all these letters will result in an extra life, and as for the weapons, they include laser shots, bombs, and fireballs.
In some levels, a few areas are located further up than just left or right, and the only way that Tiki can go up is by snatching something off the enemy that gives her the ability to fly up. Other areas are underwater, and when Tiki goes underwater, her oxygen meter decreases, so she has to rise up to the surface again to restore her oxygen levels. Apart from her own weapons, Tiki is able to squirt water at enemies if she gets to the top of the water.
There are no promo images for this game
- "The Newzealand Story" -- Alternate spelling
- "Kiwi Kraze" -- United States NES Title
- "ニュージーランドストーリー" -- Japanese Spelling
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
|Retro Spirit Games||Dec 18, 2012||90|
|Retro Archives||Oct 27, 2018||15.5 out of 20||78|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe New Zealand Story appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
DevelopmentAccording to the games magazine Computer and Video Games issue 126, May 1992, ”New Zealand Story was the product of a Japanese Taito Programmer who went to New Zealand for his holiday and came back with the game. Playing through you’ll see all the tourist spots he visited.”
- Commodore Format
- July 1993 (Issue 34) - Modern Classics: Platformers
- March 1994 (Issue 42) Heaven – The Path to Righteousness: 20 Essential Games
- November 1994 (Issue 50) – #27 The All-Time Top 50 C64 Games
- Power Play
- Issue 01/1990 - Best Arcade Port in 1989
- Issue 01/1990 - #2 Best Dexterity Game in 1989
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #72 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- Issue #37 - #24 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" poll
- ST Format
- Issue 01/1991 – #6 Best Platform Game in 1990 (Atari ST)
- January 1990 (Issue 57) – 'The Best Games of the 80's Decade' (Stuart Wynne)
FatherJack (62736) added The New Zealand Story (Arcade) on Jan 26, 2014